Search
Like Tree16Likes

HPI Vorza Flux 1/8 E-Buggy Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 12:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Lgbzone
Thanks rcworkshopp for the reply

i hadn't considered expansion, that's a good point. as i have used the car a lot in the couple of months i've had it, and that to an extent the pinion and spur will have worn in together (hope this makes sense), do you reckon it is worth getting new ones, then trying to get them dialled in as quiet as possible?

Cheers
I would still adj the gears anyway even if they did wear in. If it's still making noise and it's hard to move by hand then it's still to tight. As for replacing the gears I would buy an extra set and hold on to them. Just make sure when you do replace them you do both at the same time.

You also might want to check the motor and bearings. You don't need to take the motor apart but move the pinion side to side and see if there is play. I am sure it's fine but if you have been running the gears to tight you will wear it out. It's like making your belts to tight in your real car. You will wear out your bearings in your water pump or power steering assy.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:31 PM
Tech Adept

I have slackened the mesh off a bit more and hopefully i'll get to try it one day this week after work, i'm guessing but it appears that there's about 1mm play when rotating the spur before it tries to move the pinion. i just wish i'd noted how much play there was before touching it, currently i don't know whether it's slacker or tighter than stock as i've nothing to compare it to.

there doesn't seem to be any side to side play in the motors shaft at all, however if i try to pull the pinion, as in to pull it off the end of the shaft, the shaft will move back and forth slightly, again about 1mm, maybe a bit more, i think this movement has always been there.

cheers

lee
Old 02-14-2010, 03:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

As far as debris in the ESC I have found this to be a problem. I ran a mud race and the esc was fairly clean but enough mud got in to jam the fan and burn it out. Every dry race packs the internals of the esc with dust and rocks. I pull the back plate off and it pours out. This was too much for me as the processor and everything was just sitting in debris. I ended up cutting the top of the case and sealing everything with silicone. This completely protects it and also allows for different fans to be installed on top of the heat sink.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:59 PM
Tech Regular

Can people please post their diff setups for racing? What has been working for you all?

Thanks
Old 02-14-2010, 06:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by danulmer18
As far as debris in the ESC I have found this to be a problem. I ran a mud race and the esc was fairly clean but enough mud got in to jam the fan and burn it out. Every dry race packs the internals of the esc with dust and rocks. I pull the back plate off and it pours out. This was too much for me as the processor and everything was just sitting in debris. I ended up cutting the top of the case and sealing everything with silicone. This completely protects it and also allows for different fans to be installed on top of the heat sink.
I dont htink this is a problem with the esc.I think the Vorza wasnt meant to be ran in mud races.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

Okay in the last three weeks I won enouph items on ebay from the same take apart guy to just about build another vorza.Okay I am not going to build one but I now have a four drawer tacklebox full of vorza spare parts and hardware.I got 8 hubs/nuts hinge pins and hardware.I just won a center diff/spurgear and a whole bunch of other stuff.I even got the tool parts bag for extra hardware.I didnt even bid on a-arms.Its crazy. someone won the set for 36.00.You can get them from hb or tower for the ve8 at 23 dollars.TheyI looked up parts before bidding.I dont want to overpay that much.I did however got a brand new vorza chassis for 16.00 and hpi lists it for 80.00.Only wanted it to lend to my friend who does carbonfiber to see if he could frabricate a carbon fiber vorza chassis.The aluminum one is pretty heavy.I dont think you could angle carbonfiber.At least I have always seen it flat.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

bnangle, i was looking at this seller's page on ebay (getitfast) to see if he was bidding on his items himself and i see you paid $31 for a suspension pin plate set and $31 for a set of hex hubs and stays.. Is that cheap???

I was looking bc alot of the things that i was bidding on had alot of similar bidders that in the last 30 had bid on 10-30 items and they were 90-97% all on this guys items??

This seems kind of fishy to me what do you think? I did win 5 auctions however but i placed the bid with 5mins to go..
Old 02-14-2010, 11:33 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bnangle
I dont htink this is a problem with the esc.I think the Vorza wasnt meant to be ran in mud races.
As I said the mud race left the esc pretty clean, just enough to ruin the fan. It is the dry races that fill the internals of the esc with debris. take your back plate off and see how much dirt is rubbing around the circuit board and processor. I think sealing it is a good preventative fix.

So what is everyone running in their diffs??????
Old 02-15-2010, 04:09 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by *BBB*
bnangle, i was looking at this seller's page on ebay (getitfast) to see if he was bidding on his items himself and i see you paid $31 for a suspension pin plate set and $31 for a set of hex hubs and stays.. Is that cheap???

I was looking bc alot of the things that i was bidding on had alot of similar bidders that in the last 30 had bid on 10-30 items and they were 90-97% all on this guys items??

This seems kind of fishy to me what do you think? I did win 5 auctions however but i placed the bid with 5mins to go..
I looked everything up first and that hinge pin set alone would be around 90 dollars.I looked on the hb ve8 site which is alittle cheaper than hpi.Also I overpaid by 10 dollars on the hubs and nuts but considering every site had out of stock I figured oh well.You can definitly save but as far as friends of his bidding I dont know.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by *BBB*

3 sets of auctions ago things went for a lot cheaper than they have this last lot... Been watching these auctions and ppl are parting with a lot more cash everytime. could just be demand for the vorza spares is higher?
Old 02-15-2010, 04:15 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Artoo
Why not the Ve8 then?
I'm very much considering it. For what I spent on my Cyber 10B I probably could have bought a kit and new electronics. lol

Originally Posted by bnangle
I did however got a brand new vorza chassis for 16.00 and hpi lists it for 80.00.Only wanted it to lend to my friend who does carbonfiber to see if he could frabricate a carbon fiber vorza chassis.The aluminum one is pretty heavy.I dont think you could angle carbonfiber.At least I have always seen it flat.
I don't know how CF is laid in RC apps, but in real cars, they make hoods, trunk lids, hatches, and all kind of curved and angled parts. Some of it just as thick or thicker than the RC stuff. So I don't see why not. It's all plyable sheets till it's cured right? Maybe...
Old 02-15-2010, 05:13 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Lgbzone
I have slackened the mesh off a bit more and hopefully i'll get to try it one day this week after work, i'm guessing but it appears that there's about 1mm play when rotating the spur before it tries to move the pinion. i just wish i'd noted how much play there was before touching it, currently i don't know whether it's slacker or tighter than stock as i've nothing to compare it to.

there doesn't seem to be any side to side play in the motors shaft at all, however if i try to pull the pinion, as in to pull it off the end of the shaft, the shaft will move back and forth slightly, again about 1mm, maybe a bit more, i think this movement has always been there.
Lee, use two pieces of thick paper to set the gear mesh.
Continue to back the gears off of each other until you don't hear a sound when rolling the chassis back and forth. I thought mine was set too far away from each other but it was perfect.

Are you using the stock pinion and flywheel?
Are they worn down from driving it with the gear mesh too tight?

Dan, can you post pictures of what you did? I'm envisioning how you sealed it off but I'm worried about cooling such massive ESC. I want to see how yours looks now with the fan and sealed case.

Can people please post their diff setups for racing? What has been working for you all?
Dan, please check the previous pages on this thread. There is a ton of information on differential setups (charts, recommendations, starting setups).
I could easily re-post all of my information and research but it would be very informative for you to read it all. *Hint* = starting recommended diff setup is 5-5-2. Search for the keyword "differential" in this thread to narrow down which posts discuss differentials.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:23 AM
Suspended

So no one has a recorded top speed?
Old 02-15-2010, 06:50 AM
Tech Apprentice

Here are some carbon fiber parts available for the d8 and ve8.They should work for the vorza

http://www.xtremercracing.com/VE8.cfm
Old 02-15-2010, 07:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (98%+)

Sounds cool, can you post a picture of it ?.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.