HPI Vorza Flux 1/8 E-Buggy Thread >

HPI Vorza Flux 1/8 E-Buggy Thread

Like Tree7Likes

HPI Vorza Flux 1/8 E-Buggy Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 05:43 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by cyclone x View Post
this basically the same as the hotbodies one correct
Yes, it's very similar to the Hot Bodies Nitro D8.

- Paulie
Old 12-18-2009, 11:45 PM
Tech Addict

Hello fellas!

Well, I just pulled thr trigger on the Vorza!!! I can't wait!

HPI is marketing the Vorza as a basher, but since it's basically a factory converted D8, I think it has the DNA to be a serious contender.

I wanted to ask you guys about diff oils, shock oils, and shock springs, and how they translate between the D8, Ve8, and Vorza, as I'm sure anyone who's bought the Vorza surely considered the other 2 offerings at one time or another since they are very similar.

The D8:

5/4/1 diff oil
400/400 shock oil
Grey/White 60mm springs

Kit setting for the D8, except I changed shock oil to 35/40 as it's generally known in the D8 world that .5 higher weight in the rear works well. This set up sticks like glue at my track, and I don't really feel the need to change it.

The Ve8:

5/5/2 diff oil
350/450 shock oil
Grey/White 60mm springs

Kit setting for the Ve8.

The Vorza:

5/10/5 diff oil
40/45
Grey/Orange 60mm springs

Kit setting for the Vorza. Since the motor is towards the rear of the chassis unlike the Ve8, it makes sense that the rear springs would be stiffer. The shock oil seems to follow suit at being .5 higher weight in the rear, but the diff settings of 5/10/5 confuse me. It's totally different than the Ve8. Any guess as to why? Is this more of a "basher" setting? Would changing it to 5/5/2 like the Ve8 make it more "competitive" on the track?

Also, one more thing...since the Vorza uses the same plastic chassis extenders like the D8, do you guys think the D8 body would fit on the Vorza?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and HYDE16, even though I'm going to use the dogbones until they break, I went ahead and ordered the parts to convert to universals all around.

The Vorza only comes with front universals (same type as the D8 and Ve8). To get the rest up to spec, I ordered all the individual parts separately, as it was cheaper then buying the universals already put together (which I'd take apart anyway and build them to my specs).

Here's what you need to convert to universals all around (using individual parts):

Center Diff:

2 x 67406, coupling
1 x 67407, 78mm shaft
1 x 67408, 105mm shaft
1 x 67404, universal rebuilt kit
1 x z721, 4x4mm set screw

Rear Diff:

2 x 67402, axle
2 x 67405, 91mm shaft

That's the least inexpensive way to get universals all around as found in the D8 and Ve8. I've never broken any of these, so I don't feel the need to upgrade to the WCE parts which are WAY more expensive.

Hope that helps.

- Paulie
Old 12-19-2009, 06:04 AM
Tech Regular

Congrats on your purchase! You may actually get yours before me (Christmas Day).

I agree that the Vorza can be a serious contender,....change the diff and shock oils, swap out the tires and adjust the suspension and I think we'll be flying around the track.

I asked Travis from HPI the same question about the differential oils. He said the 5/10/5 is a basher setup. He said if you're headed to the track, lighten up the center diff or follow the multiple shock/diff weight setups for the D8, hence why I created and posted that setup chart several posts back. I wanted to know the right weights to use to make the Vorza a racer so I researched multiple articles and D8 setups. I took all of the info and pounded into a spreadsheet with track specific settings and notes.

I wondered the same thing about the chassis extenders since I'm looking to get a custom painted body. I could order another Vorza body or I could try to fit a Jconcepts Illusion body or D8 body. If anyone knows what other bodies fit on the Vorza, please post, I want to order another body for painting by spring.

Thanks for breaking down the parts I need to convert to universals, I've been trying to piece this together myself for sometime now. I appreciate the summary you put together. Where did you order the individual parts from?

Center Diff:
2 x 67406, coupling
1 x 67407, 78mm shaft
1 x 67408, 105mm shaft

Rear Diff:
2 x 67402, axle
2 x 67405, 91mm shaft - this is listed in the Vorza manual (pg 33 & 36), these same parts are used for the 2 front suspension dogbones?

I agree, the WCE parts add up but I am concerned with the wear on the front center drive shaft. A few posts back I asked if the #67217 DCJ drive shaft complete set is an upgrade for just the center drive shaft and nv529 responded:
Originally Posted by nv529 View Post
yes it is a upgrade for the center shaft only. this axle was release after "WCE chrome axles" due to the extreme high wear on the D8T which uses the same front center axle as the vorza I would highly recommend getting the DCJ axle with your kit
So should I get all of the parts you recommended but swap out one of the center drive shafts for the #67217 DCJ drive shaft? If so, which one would the DCJ drive shaft replace?

1 x 67407, 78mm shaft
1 x 67408, 105mm shaft

Thanks,
Old 12-19-2009, 02:22 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by HYDE16 View Post
Congrats on your purchase! You may actually get yours before me (Christmas Day).
I doubt it, but we'll see

follow the multiple shock/diff weight setups for the D8, hence why I created and posted that setup chart several posts back. I wanted to know the right weights to use to make the Vorza a racer so I researched multiple articles and D8 setups. I took all of the info and pounded into a spreadsheet with track specific settings and notes.
True, everything should translate but the rear springs? I'm thinking since bone stock the Vorza comes with rear springs that are two steps harder than the D8 (probably because the weight is more rearward due to the motor position), I should continue to just leave them in, no?

Thanks for breaking down the parts I need to convert to universals, I've been trying to piece this together myself for sometime now. I appreciate the summary you put together. Where did you order the individual parts from?
I got them from www.amainhobbies.com

91mm shaft - this is listed in the Vorza manual (pg 33 & 36), these same parts are used for the 2 front suspension dogbones?
Yes, the Vorza comes with universals in the front suspension. You need two more sets of parts to change out the dogbone set up in the rear.

So should I get all of the parts you recommended but swap out one of the center drive shafts for the #67217 DCJ drive shaft? If so, which one would the DCJ drive shaft replace?
It's your call, but I haven't broken anything yet on my D8, and I already have a bunch of spares, so for me, it was better to just get the regular universal. I guess in your position it wouldn't be such a bad idea to get the DCJ though.

If you do get the DCJ for the front/center diff, it replaces the following in my parts list:

1 x 67406, coupling (not 2 of them as originally stated)
1 x 67407, 78mm shaft

You still need 1 x 67406 coupling for the rear, but the DCJ complete universal comes with it already installed so you don't need to buy 2 of them.

Hope that helps...

- Paulie
Old 12-19-2009, 09:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default hpi vorza buggy

my teammate just bought the vorza tonight and is planning on racing it at the crcrc race in jan.

he was waiting for a hot bodies ve8 but the things are on back order until who knows when .

it look like the vorza is very similar to the d8 buggy. we did notice the shock towers were different than the d8. the ones on the d8 look lighter and more durable. the thing i like most about the vorza is that it has an aluminum chassis like the d8 and not a plastic chassis like the ve8 has.

other than that it looks like a pretty nice buggy. getting it with a mamba monster esc and a castle neu 2200 kv motor is a bonus. the battery tray is a tad longer than the ve8 tray so he will have much more choices of lipo batteries also.

i think the only other thing he will have to change out is the steering servo.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:31 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by thrash metal View Post
we did notice the shock towers were different than the d8. the ones on the d8 look lighter and more durable.

i think the only other thing he will have to change out is the steering servo.
The shock towers are supposed to be exactly the same. They even have the same part number as the D8.

There was a running change to the rear ones though and Hot Bodies made the slightly beefier so that's why they may look different.

As for the steering servo, I'm going to leave mine stock. It's slightly slower than what I currently run (.20 compared to .15), but it definitely has enough torque and it's also metal geared so I think I'll hold up pretty well.

We'll see...

- Paulie
Old 12-20-2009, 08:15 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

So do guys think the VORZA will totally blow my inferno VE out of the water? my friend is getting one next week and id hate to get WHOOPED lol
Old 12-20-2009, 02:45 PM
Tech Addict

Anybody
Old 12-20-2009, 02:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

I'd say it all comes down to who drives better but teh MMM system is a proven performer.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:24 PM
Tech Regular

Blow your Inferno out of the water? Doubt it.

As long as your shocks hold up, and is setup as well as the HPI, your Inferno should be in the mix. Don't know anything about your motor/esc setup, but as long as your car is setup decently, it should be up to the driver. Unless you're running on a fairly large track, power means little compared to driver ability in 1/8 scale.

I've noticed that in many classes, the "underpowered" cars appear faster than the "mondo, mucho, macho-chest thumping, King Kong, I've-got-more-power-than-I-know-what-to-do-with-watch-my-wheels-balloon" overpowered cars.

The laps times confirm it. I know I'm faster with a 13.5 turn motor as far as lap times, but I have WAAAAY more fun with a 10.5. With the 10.5, I come in dead last. With a 13.5, I'd probably move up one position.

Sorry, meandering... your Inferno should be fine against your buddy's Vorza. Besides, you have more experience, time with it. He'll be adjusting to his new car. The Inferno 7.5 is a proven performer.

He wins, it's only because he drives a "better" car.
You win, it's because you're a better driver than he is.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:41 PM
JSR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by seany916 View Post
Haha, I like that.

I agree with sean, it will come down to the driver. Even though there's been improvements in the buggies over the years, they won't make a bad driver amazing or an amazing driver bad. The MMM 2200kV combo is a MONSTER! Unless he's slow with his throttle finger or he turns down the throttle curve (way down), it's too much power for a buggy on the track IMO. It will lift the front wheels of my truggy which is much heavier than any buggy and has a longer wheelbase. That overpower could be your advantage since you will be able to get on the throttle harder and sooner.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:45 PM
Tech Addict

[/QUOTE]

haha thats sounds like the exact line i'd use! Yea that mamba seems pretty nasty and i figured with a huge motor like that in a similar buggy hed have a definite advantage..

Im kinda new to the racing world but he's not the type to search for info and find best setups etc either..

Old 12-21-2009, 05:33 AM
Tech Addict

I have a friend who's son has the Kyosho VE. For what it is, it's not bad at all. I think the Vorza is higher spec'd bone stock though (better suspension, motor, esc, etc).

What I've found in off-road though (I'm a touring car guy at heart), is that it ALWAYS comes down to set-up and more importanly drivers' skill. A good driver can compensate for a somewhat bad set up to an extent, but in my experience it doesn't work as well the other way around. A bad driver will not be able to take advantage of a good set up to surpass a really good driver that is compensating for a bad set up - again, in my experience.

Here's what I'd do if he consistiently beats you...ask him to switch cars. If he still beats you using your Inferno, he's a better driver, plain and simple. If you beat him using his Vorza, try and find out what characteristic is different about the cars that makes you faster with it...as in what does his car do at certain parts of the track that instills the confidence for you to drive better?

Once you nail that down, try and duplicate those characteristics by setting up your car to react similar and have another go with him. You'll probably be a lot closer...

- Paulie
Old 12-21-2009, 10:22 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by pgeldz View Post
True, everything should translate but the rear springs? I'm thinking since bone stock the Vorza comes with rear springs that are two steps harder than the D8 (probably because the weight is more rearward due to the motor position), I should continue to just leave them in, no?
I'm going to run the car with the stock springs, shock oil and diff oil to get used to it for a while. After a few track runs I'll fine tune all three categories to see what works best for my local tracks. I think we will have to stay heavier on the rear springs due to the weight disbursement.

Originally Posted by pgeldz View Post
If you do get the DCJ for the front/center diff, it replaces the following in my parts list:

1 x 67406, coupling (not 2 of them as originally stated)
1 x 67407, 78mm shaft

You still need 1 x 67406 coupling for the rear, but the DCJ complete universal comes with it already installed so you don't need to buy 2 of them.
Awesome, thank you. I just want to verify the complete parts list one more time as Iím going to place the order soon.

Center Diff:
1 x 67217 DCJ drive shaft complete set (replaces the 1 x 67406, coupling and 1 x 67407, 78mm shaft, but I still need 1 x 67406, coupling for the rear of the DCJ shaft right?)
1 x 67408, 105mm shaft

Rear Diff:
2 x 67402, axle
2 x 67405, 91mm shaft - this is listed in the Vorza manual (pg 33 & 36), these same parts are used for the 2 front suspension dogbones?

Thanks for taking the time to see which method was cheaper, Iíll go piece by piece.

3.5 days to go until I can open that stupid box under the tree. I will definitely take a gazillion pictures of the Vorza Christmas day and will post them up on this thread so keep a watch either Friday mid-day or Saturday early morning. I got a new 15.1mp Canon T1i SLR so Iíll be taking some hi-res pictures to post up. Let me know if there is anything specific you want to see.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:47 PM
Tech Addict

Muchas gracias hombres

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.