Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree16Likes

HPI Vorza Flux 1/8 E-Buggy Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 12:59 PM
Tech Regular

Here’s a question, can anyone recommend wings?
Are they truly upgrades that help with performance / flight or is it aesthetic?
With my white wheels and future blue and white custom painted body, the included black wing is not too appealing.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:27 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by malik
The 60 and 68mm springs are the only ones for the stock shocks. For you bashers why not look into the 112 shocks and ext tower for the rear, this will help more than anything you can do for the suspention.
Hi Malik

I'm afraid i have to disagree with you regarding which springs are for the stock shocks (item #67296 HB big bore shock set 97mm); the 76mm springs i got are clearly listed at hpi europes website as an option for the stock vorza, which means stock shocks. at the link to the springs below it states;
"Tune your D8 or any nitro 1/8 scale buggy for optimal performance with the full range of HB shock springs! Designed to fit HB Big Bore shocks, but will fit around any large-diameter shock body."
the vorza comes with HB big bore shocks as stock.

http://www.hbeurope.com/piw.php?lang=en&partNo=67456

also at the link above it states;
"Available in three different lengths for fine-tuning damping performance, shock stroke, droop options and more, for a variety of track types and driving styles."
Three lengths, i.e. 60mm, 68mm and 76mm.

The space available on the stock shocks for the spring is 62mm, minus the 4mm needed for the preload adjustment collar leaving 58mm, essentially meaning that the 60mm springs need to be compressed very slightly by hand to fit them, the 68mm springs need to be compressed slightly more, and the 76mm springs more again. this simply means that with longer springs when the preload adjuster is backed right off, there is still some preload on the spring, as these springs are linear it doesn't change the characteristics of the spring, it just makes them firmer, (had they produced a 60mm spring that was firmer than 98gf i would have got them).

I would have fitted the 112mm shocks (item #67298 HB big bore shock set 112mm) if i had required a longer shock stroke and/or a higher ride height, as this is what these shocks would have given me. i don't need longer travel and i'm happy with the ride height i can get with the standard shocks, i just wanted the suspension to be harder to compress so i fitted springs that achieved this. by the same token when i required firmer suspension on the back of my motorhome (RV); i fitted firmer springs not longer shocks.

Cheers mate

Lee
Old 02-24-2010, 01:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by HYDE16
With my white wheels and future blue and white custom painted body, the included black wing is not too appealing.
why not get a white wing and have it painted like the body. have it part of the paint job.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:41 PM
Tech Regular

I like your style!

Which white wing though?
Do they really affect performance or should I get any old white wing?
Old 02-24-2010, 01:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I like your style!

Which white wing though?
Yes they all have some effect on performance.

The most popular wing at the local tracks is the Pro-Line High Downforce wing. J Concept has a performance wing as does HiMoto and everyone else. Close your eyes and pick one.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (98%+)

I'm using the vp-pro high downforce wing. I was reading on the 100mph club that they help with high speed stability. For normal speeds I think the stock one is fine.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:01 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Just purchased a vorza

I have been out of the hobby for several years, use to race 1/10 nitro onroad and wanted to get into 1/8 brushless. I am new to this board but read many of the informative posts which led to my decision in selecting the Vorza.

Following are the items I purchased to complete this package:

HPI Vorza & DX3R from Stormer Hobbies

Batteries all from HobbyKing:

(2) Turnigy 3S 5000 35C
(2) Turnigy 2S 5000 30C

Tried to include links but, the board would not allow it as I am a new member.

I would like to get your opinion on these batteries. At the low price, I thought it would be nice to have both 4S and 6S options. Just hope it was not a mistake as I realize sometimes you get what you pay for...

Also, has anyone used the DX3R in the Vorza and based on your experience, how should this combination perform?

Last edited by ohiorc; 02-24-2010 at 06:15 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:33 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ohiorc
I have been out of the hobby for several years, use to race 1/10 nitro onroad and wanted to get into 1/8 brushless. I am new to this board but read many of the informative posts which led to my decision in selecting the Vorza.

Following are the items I purchased to complete this package:

HPI Vorza & DX3R from Stormer Hobbies

Batteries all from HobbyKing:

(2) Turnigy 3S 5000 35C
(2) Turnigy 2S 5000 30C

Tried to include links but, the board would not allow it as I am a new member.

I would like to get your opinion on these batteries. At the low price, I thought it would be nice to have both 4S and 6S options. Just hope it was not a mistake as I realize sometimes you get what you pay for...

Also, has anyone used the DX3R in the Vorza and based on your experience, how should this combination perform?
I know for a fact that several Vorza owners are using Turnigy packs. I have everything from 2S to 6S from turnigy, and i've never had any issuess with them!
Old 02-24-2010, 07:40 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I wonder if HPI's Phaltline tires will fit on the Vorza??? Im thinking about geting some for the car for ourroad course to get more top end and possibly more traction due to width.. Do you guys see any reason why not?
Old 02-24-2010, 08:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The Spektrum DX3R radio is a very good radio for any set-up.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I like your style!

Which white wing though?
Wait until the new upgrade wing comes out.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

just picked up a set of Proline Badlands XtR and white disc wheels for an all terrain basher tire.Looks cool.I have to post a pick.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:22 AM
Tech Regular

Default R/C Car Magazine's Ve8 Review - Setup Sheet

Just as an FYI for everyone looking for setups based on the Ve8 (electric weight) instead of the D8 (nitro weight), the April 2010 issue of R/C Car has an awesome review of the Ve8 and discusses Josh Alton's specific setup for testing this car.

Luckily, R/C Car just posted the setup sheet used for the Ve8 review under their Setup Sheets section.

They tested it with a 4S battery and our Castle Creations 2200kV brushless motor.
For most of us this is close to the weight we are currently running (if using 2S - 4S) but there is a small tradeoff with the Ve8's composite chassis vs. the Vorza's aluminum chassis.

Diffs: We've been recommending the 5-5-2 starting point, the only difference in their setup is the use of 3,000 in the rear differential. 5,000 in the front and center still seem to be the prime choice for D8's and Ve8's.

Gears: 50T spur gear instead of the stock 48T and the 17T pinion gear instead of the stock 15T.

Ride Height: 28mm Front / 29mm Rear

Camber: -2 Front / -2 Rear

Toe: +1 Front / -3 Rear

Springs: Grey Front / Yellow Rear

Shock Oil: 500 Front / 600 Rear

Right off the bat I'm going to increase my shock weight. I started too light based on D8 setup sheets.

I'm getting more and more interested in switching out the spur and pinion gear. I may pick these up to have as replacement parts if anything goes wrong.

As for the rear differential, I'm going to try 2,000 weight in the rear first then 3,000 weight.

Last edited by HYDE16; 02-25-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:18 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Thanks for the info

Limpan - thanks for the information on the batteries. I had read good things on here about Turnirgy but was shocked at how inexpensive they were compared to others I have seen. Caused me to pause for a minute.

AreCee - Also, thanks for your comment on the DX3R. I was about to purchase the DX3S but Stormer Hobbies had the R for only $50 more and thought it was worth the additional cost.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by ohiorc
Limpan - thanks for the information on the batteries. I had read good things on here about Turnirgy but was shocked at how inexpensive they were compared to others I have seen. Caused me to pause for a minute.

AreCee - Also, thanks for your comment on the DX3R. I was about to purchase the DX3S but Stormer Hobbies had the R for only $50 more and thought it was worth the additional cost.
I got a 14v Turnigy lipo and charger coming from hobbyking but I have been waiting almost a month for them.If you order pay more for faster shipping.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.