Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
HPI Vorza Flux 1/8 E-Buggy Thread >

HPI Vorza Flux 1/8 E-Buggy Thread

Like Tree4Likes

HPI Vorza Flux 1/8 E-Buggy Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 11:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

Does anyone have one in their hands yet? I want to see some real pics and a review..
Old 12-07-2009, 01:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HYDE16 View Post
I think my wife ordered the last one! YES! Christmas is going to rock this year!

What servo would you upgrade to? I thought this high torque servo was a good servo to use (no need to upgrade).

What bodies can you recommend?

I'm already grabbing a DX3 radio to swap out.
If you need to change the servo, I use this one in my D8 and it is a beast!
http://www.servocity.com/html/hs-7950tg_servo.html
As for the body I like it But if you must change it I use the JCONCEPTS Illuzion D8 body #0075 fit's the D8 well enough.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:18 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by bigbeej View Post
Does anyone have one in their hands yet? I want to see some real pics and a review..
Me too. I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger on this. I already have a D8 and what's so appealing is that the Vorza seems like a factory brushless conversion, in a RTR package.

I looked at the parts list and it seems that it uses just about all HB D8 parts - nice considering spare parts would work for both vehicles.

It really looks more like a "Ready to Race" package vs a Ready to Run package. Heck, the only thing I think it doesn't have is rear universals, which probably aren't a big deal anyway.

I like the fact that it can take both the 2650KV or 2200KV motors (I've heard you have to grind down the shaft on one of them to make it fit in the Ve8), and also the fully adjustable battery boxes are a pretty big plus for me, as I've read the Ve8 has some size restrictions when it comes to certain Lipo's.

How many of you guys considering one of these think it would be good for competition? I ask because it seems like it's marketed more towards the basher crowd, but what I see is a factory D8 brushless conversion that can mix it up with the best of them.

I think it would be highly competitive, but I'd love to hear more from you guys...

- Paulie
Old 12-09-2009, 09:13 AM
Tech Regular

From discussions with HPI, it's definitely meant to be a basher but it's also track ready being that it's a blend of the D8 and VE8 platform.

Throw on some track specific performance tires, change the shock oil to your preference, tune the suspension / wheels and lighten up the differential oil.
Basically you should have a track ready D8 with Castle ESC/BM. I wanted this buggy more for racing vs. bashing. I will writeup a full review once I get it on that joyous Christmas morning (16 days left ).

For my setup I ordered:
Pro-Line V2 White Pre-Mounted Caliber (M3 compound) tires
AKA Racing Pre-Mounted City Block (Soft compound) tires
HPI 67515 Big Bore Shock Maintenance Set
HPI Racing Castle Link USB Programming Kit
MaxAmps Hard Case Lipo 6500SS 14.8V 1/8 Scale RTR Kit with PS.
Next up is deciding which oils to get (weights and brand).

I decided on this RTR package because of the included Castle ESC/BM and D8/VE8 proven performance. After months of reasearch and getting back into the hobby, I actually chose this over the Losi 8ight-E 2.0 for next seasons outdoor track racing.

To me the Losi was my first choice but several racers and store owners mentioned overheating problems with the included Losi ESC/BM combo. The Losi is more expensive and has some great racing features but I look at it like why pay more for a car that may have some electronic problems and may be a name brand cost difference. I can always bash the Vorza or race it. I will let you know how it does at the track come spring time.

I've been working on a comparison of various D8 setup sheets in order to have a quick key for setting up our Vorza's for racing.
Let me know what you think of the attached file.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
HPI Vorza Flux Setup Chart.zip (29.4 KB, 371 views)
Old 12-09-2009, 05:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Here you go dude I run a D8 and ve8 5,7,3 diffs, shocks 1.3 pistons front 40-45 oil AE, rear 1.2 pistons 40-50 AE oil. Get all white springs and a set of 68mm yellow springs for the rear to try. I like all whites on my D8 and white fr and yellow rears on the Ve8. The links and all that you can start with how they come and go from there after you drive it. YOu can PM me if you would like any suggestions oh yeah go on the D8 thread and get some 6mm aluminum ACE shock towers from WB-RACER-ACE trust me. Post some pics of the steering brace and the rear body mount please I want to see what they did with them and any other parts that may differ from the D8-Ve8 please.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:07 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pgeldz View Post
Me too. I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger on this. I already have a D8 and what's so appealing is that the Vorza seems like a factory brushless conversion, in a RTR package.

, but what I see is a factory D8 brushless conversion that can mix it up with the best of them.

I think it would be highly competitive, but I'd love to hear more from you guys...

- Paulie
+1
Old 12-10-2009, 10:51 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by malik View Post
Here you go dude I run a D8 and ve8 5,7,3 diffs, shocks 1.3 pistons front 40-45 oil AE, rear 1.2 pistons 40-50 AE oil. Get all white springs and a set of 68mm yellow springs for the rear to try. I like all whites on my D8 and white fr and yellow rears on the Ve8. The links and all that you can start with how they come and go from there after you drive it. YOu can PM me if you would like any suggestions oh yeah go on the D8 thread and get some 6mm aluminum ACE shock towers from WB-RACER-ACE trust me. Post some pics of the steering brace and the rear body mount please I want to see what they did with them and any other parts that may differ from the D8-Ve8 please.
PM Sent to WB-Racer-Ace, so he makes/sells 6mm aluminum shock towers that will fit the Vorza?
Old 12-10-2009, 11:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Yes and 5mm CF towers but hes out of those. I have both and he makes CF ackerman plates and is working on more stuff. He also makes the 112 rear shock towers in both material. Those are for the longer traditional shocks in the rear. Some guys use them but most dont, I dont. Just preference.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:04 PM
Tech Regular

Can you post pictures of the aluminum ones if possible? What does he typically charge for front and back 6mm aluminum?
Old 12-14-2009, 04:33 AM
Tech Addict

HYDE16,

Did you receive yours yet? I was about to order one and saw on Tower Hobbies that you can't specify what color body you want, so I'm assuming it's just one part number and you don't have a choice of Red or Blue.

Went to A-Main, put one in my shopping cart, and again, no option to choose color (I was wanting a Red one).

Any way around this or is it just the luck of the draw?

I did some more reading up HPI's website, and it looks like the only thing it's lacking is universals for the rear and center driveshafts. Honestly I don't think I'll even change the dogbones out, just to prove a point (to myself), that it's just as capable as the Ve8 BONE STOCK. We'll see soon enough. If I ever brake a dogbone, then I'll upgrade to universals...

HYDE16, let us know when yours arrives.

- Paulie
Old 12-14-2009, 06:00 AM
Tech Regular

Hey Paulie!

To answer your question, no I didnít receive mine yetÖ.I will receive it on the morning of Friday December 25th.
I will be taking a TON of up-close pictures with my 15.1mp Canon EOS T1i to get some great detal for all to see.
I promise to post them up the same day along with some video. I already have the manual which I downloaded from HPIís website.

I told my wife to order from Stormer Hobbies since they have the lowest price I have found yet.
Again, just like AMain and Tower, you are unable to select the color preference. On HPIís site there is only one model number listed for both color choices.
With the limited availability of this new release I think itís going to be a 50/50 chance on what color you want.
I want red as well but Iíll deal with blue since in the future Iíll most likely get a custom painted body. Still, really hoping for red.
I would recommend calling to place the order over the phone to try and request your color.

Which universals would you upgrade to if you choose to do so? Can you post a link or two so I can learn what I may need to get if the dogbones fail?

Has anyone else received theirs? Or will they receive theirs before the 25th? I would be pumped if I got mine first.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:53 PM
Tech Addict

I don't have the link handy, but I'd just download the HB D8 manual and get the same universals as that...

or

If you want to get fancy, you can get the new WCE parts they show as options in the Vorza manual towards the end. Even has part #'s, etc.

It's just that I already have stock D8 spare driveshafts, so I'd just get the same so I can use spare parts for either.

Look forward to the pics/review!

- Paulie
Old 12-14-2009, 01:59 PM
Tech Regular

Paulie, what are the major differences between these? (see attachment of selection from the manual)
Attached Thumbnails HPI Vorza Flux 1/8 E-Buggy Thread-drive-shafts.jpg  
Old 12-14-2009, 04:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Paulie, what are the major differences between these? (see attachment of selection from the manual)
the axle on the far left is used for the front and rear suspension arms(kit standard), the chrome looking ones are "World Champ Edition" made out of higher quality Japanese steel. the black axle right of the chrome axle is used on the center diff(kit standard). the DCJ axle on the far right is a upgrade for the center diff its used on the front side of the diff to help reduce axle angle. the HB cars are known for high axle wear on the front center diff side due to the high axle angle with the motor/drivetrain being offset from centerline of the car.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:25 AM
Tech Addict

Sorry for the late reply (just got home from work).

Looks like nv529 beat me too it, and he's right on the money.

- Paulie

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service