Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
HPI Vorza Flux 1/8 E-Buggy Thread >

HPI Vorza Flux 1/8 E-Buggy Thread

Like Tree4Likes

HPI Vorza Flux 1/8 E-Buggy Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 12:36 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Revved View Post
Looks Beautiful!! But I have to say that it looks too clean!!!! Go get some mud on that thing!!!

Noticed the shrinkwrap on the front axles- are you using CV boots under there or did you just shrink wrap them?
Hi Revved,

You're right for the mud but it isn't for tomorrow , stock steering turnbuckles (67464) are too long with the new steering ballends (66247)! i should reduced them of 5 mm on each ends.

Front drive shafts are stock ones and there isn't any boot i just shrinked and terminated with a flexible sleeve in order to retain grease.

Last edited by Peloche; 02-16-2012 at 10:30 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default FlySky GTB3

The only thing I don't like about the Flysky radios is they take 8 batteries but they're balance is good so it's never been a big issue with me any way.
Love my FlySky GTB3 too. Awesome price too! But just like what Jerry said^^^, it takes 8 batteries.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Fricken awesome my vorza arrived today!!! and my order of upgrade parts has just been sent today too

Last edited by nofxnz; 02-15-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I took apart the ESC and coated the circuit board with plasti-dip. I installed the antenna tube where it goes into the receiver box with a little RTV and put some foam tape on the lid where the servo wires come through and its been bone dry inside. I was floored that it still lived after being completely submerged for so long so I know the plasti-dip did something!! I wonder if water got into the motor or something else yesterday because it didn't get dunked anywhere near as bad as the first time...When I tried plugging in fresh batteries just to test the motor ring was really weak. Anyway good news- plugged in batteries this morning and everything works!!

I am going to order another rear tower and double it up just for grins and the CV boots, the badlands knock offs, and probably an outerwear. I want to make this as durable a basher as realistically possible. Already have my front doubled, my T-Bone bumpers, and my mud guards on.
Glad everything is fixed, I wasn't too sure about plastdip on esc,,so I spent the $17 on thread seal, per jang. Good luck with the T bone bumpers,,after 7 returns. I was done.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by timritchieblue View Post
Glad everything is fixed, I wasn't too sure about plastdip on esc,,so I spent the $17 on thread seal, per jang. Good luck with the T bone bumpers,,after 7 returns. I was done.
I looked back at the bottle and it was liquid tape that I bought. I don't think I got the ESC cleaned off well enough before coating the first time. A bunch of the dip was peeling so I pulled most of it off, gave it a decent cleaning with a tooth brush and recoated. Dunked it twice today and was tearing through a swampy washout today and all was good. I also used some RTV to seal around the wires on the hard case Lipos.

T-Bone bumpers have been great so far... I've caught some small trees at speed and the bumpers have saved the buggy from some good hits. I bought the larger "basher" bumpers.

Went ahead and ordered the 3PL. Futaba is tried and true so I'll bite the bullet on the $50 receivers... Do it once and do it right and be done with it.

I sent Outerwear an email to find out buy in costs for a dealer account so if anyone is considering these pm me. They have products that I can use in my business and know lots of people with dirt bikes

Last edited by Revved; 02-15-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

Sorry... Somehow ended up with a duplicate post
Old 02-15-2012, 08:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Wow... that is crazy cheap. Cheap enough to wonder about the quality.... Anyone else using this? I saw a thread on these in the radio section... i guess I'll read through it and see what the consensus is. The other radio that has been recommended is the Futaba 3PL which costs around $100 but the extra receivers are $50 each x 3 cars for me... not opposed to paying money for quality products but I've been bleeding cash into this hobby lately. already been burned by trying to go cheap getting back into this.
For the price you definitely can't complain... I thought it was great for a while with plenty of features backed by a community modding, tweaking, adding features, improving and fixing all of the firmware issues. The size of the Rx was great, very small and compact which meant I could install one in all my 5 of RCís and it an event of a failure or getting it wet it didn't cost much to replace.

My major gripe was the radio triggers neutral position accuracy or lack thereof. Its neutral position would sometimes creep into the acceleration or brake zones, even setting the maximum/widest deadzone setting on the ESC and re-calibrating the throttle, neutral and brake zone countless times, I still had issues with the trigger straying from the neutral position. It was unbearable at times and was something that I could never dial out properly.

The other thing I didn't like was the throttle response. It was either over sensitive or not very granular. Pulling the trigger felt like it was going from 0 to 15 to 30 to 50 to 70 to 100% throttle but nothing in-between. And if you tried to change the throttle expo setting it will mess up the curve so it's no longer proportional, same goes with the steering expo. Some of these setting changes may also affect other settings Trim and endpoint adjustments were very limited, but Iíll reiterate mine was using stock firmware so most of these issues would have been fixed with a firmware update. Battery drain is quick compared to my other radios despite the 8xAA's and the buttons would sometimes stick but this was minor.

Quality wise, it didn't feel flimsy but it definitely feels like it's asking price. So despite its quirks there were still a few things I couldn't live with so I recently got something more expensive but have been a lot happier since getting it.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Peloche View Post
Hi all,

Some mods at the front of my Vorza.

et voilŗ !

Any comments are welcome
Looks sweeet!!!
I couldn't tell from the pics, but do those front alloy knuckle arms use the standard 8x14 bearings or oversized 8x16 bearings like in the rear?
Old 02-15-2012, 09:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by TRiN View Post
For the price you definitely can't complain... I thought it was great for a while with plenty of features backed by a community modding, tweaking, adding features, improving and fixing all of the firmware issues. The size of the Rx was great, very small and compact which meant I could install one in all my 5 of RCís and it an event of a failure or getting it wet it didn't cost much to replace.

My major gripe was the radio triggers neutral position accuracy or lack thereof. Its neutral position would sometimes creep into the acceleration or brake zones, even setting the maximum/widest deadzone setting on the ESC and re-calibrating the throttle, neutral and brake zone countless times, I still had issues with the trigger straying from the neutral position. It was unbearable at times and was something that I could never dial out properly.

The other thing I didn't like was the throttle response. It was either over sensitive or not very granular. Pulling the trigger felt like it was going from 0 to 15 to 30 to 50 to 70 to 100% throttle but nothing in-between. And if you tried to change the throttle expo setting it will mess up the curve so it's no longer proportional, same goes with the steering expo. Some of these setting changes may also affect other settings Trim and endpoint adjustments were very limited, but Iíll reiterate mine was using stock firmware so most of these issues would have been fixed with a firmware update. Battery drain is quick compared to my other radios despite the 8xAA's and the buttons would sometimes stick but this was minor.

Quality wise, it didn't feel flimsy but it definitely feels like it's asking price. So despite its quirks there were still a few things I couldn't live with so I recently got something more expensive but have been a lot happier since getting it.
Thanks for the input and after skimming the thread on it in the radio section there seemed to be a lot of people with similar complaints. I've always used stick controllers until the Traxxas but I never liked the throttle on it- always felt muted, kind of like you said with this radio- it really didn't feel linear. And after driving the Vorza I really noticed a huge difference with how controllable the throttle is and how easy it is to drive at part throttle and roll in. Definately did not want to downgrade on feel... I'm kind of OCD on little things like that
Old 02-15-2012, 10:46 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by TRiN View Post
Looks sweeet!!!
I couldn't tell from the pics, but do those front alloy knuckle arms use the standard 8x14 bearings or oversized 8x16 bearings like in the rear?
Thanks TRiN, yeap they use 8x16x5 which is good IMHO.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

FYI HPI hellfire spindles and hubs are the same as vorza,,,,but 1/3 cost
Old 02-16-2012, 04:18 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by timritchieblue View Post
FYI HPI hellfire spindles and hubs are the same as vorza,,,,but 1/3 cost
Thanks timritchieblue, have you got any HPI references please ?
Old 02-16-2012, 04:26 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Motor Output Shaft Play??!

Last edited by USMC 0802; 02-17-2012 at 04:02 AM. Reason: Deleted.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:05 AM
Tech Adept

Hi all,

Final step after reducing turnbuckles length for 5 mm on each angled ballends sides:

Costs (as of today, didn't run it yet with this confÖ)

Front (2 Hubs + 2 Knuckles) US$37
Rear (2 Hubs) US$18

Total : US$ 55 including international shipment.

(Original 2 Front spindle carrier HB 67215 on eBay US : US$61 including shipping).

8 bearings (rubber) 8x16x5 = US$8

If you find something wrong don't go to lost and found property , tell me i'll appreciate your help.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:13 AM
Tech Adept

Located underneath both front suspension arms, nothing at rear, weak points ? Next to break out ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service