Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree16Likes

HPI Vorza Flux 1/8 E-Buggy Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 01:41 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

are you running standard pinions or the clutch or long shank setup?

Reason I say that is you may run into gearing issues if you need speeds over 40mph assuming 4S usage is what you are doing.

That is why I went with the 2050kv, if that wasn't the case, i would have used the 1900Kv.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:58 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain

Reason I say that is you may run into gearing issues if you need speeds over 40mph assuming 4S usage is what you are doing.

That is why I went with the 2050kv, if that wasn't the case, i would have used the 1900Kv.
Back when I was running Tekin on 4s I used the 2050kv for the same basic reason. This buggy is a bit on the heavy side and the last thing I wanted to do was over stress the motor. And to be honest the 2050kv always ran hot for me, so now that I am back with the Castle based 2200kv my temps are back down as well as the gearing. Got plenty of speed and I am much happier.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:41 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well i finally got all of my batteries and deans soldering on and damn this thing is pretty quick on a 6S 4000 25C Gens ace battery....i was using it for around 15 mins at work, managed to do a cart wheel and caused the rear hub rod to come out and i lost the spacer, doh...not to mention one of my tires is partially ripped and both rears show some serious wear after 15 minutes..... doh...oh well this thing kicks ass, now i need a ramp..........

as far as the tires go, what is everyone using? and how long do they last? are the cheap ebay ones any good? or should i go with pro lines which i might just buy to have a set this weekend due to my split in the tire now....
Old 11-17-2011, 07:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I don't plan on hitting the 40mph mark really..... Mainly due to my local tracks not being really huge and there are more turns and jumps than there is a straightaway. I'm looking for more of a quick thing that a top speed. And I might be wrong by thinking it, lower KV means more torque right? I could just gear mine differently but I would like to try the options of a new motor out too. Kind of one of the last "big purchases" I want to buy. Maybe I'll do the 2050 instead.

Originally Posted by Z4Kevo
Back when I was running Tekin on 4s I used the 2050kv for the same basic reason. This buggy is a bit on the heavy side and the last thing I wanted to do was over stress the motor. And to be honest the 2050kv always ran hot for me, so now that I am back with the Castle based 2200kv my temps are back down as well as the gearing. Got plenty of speed and I am much happier.
Did you happen to try mounting a fan to keep the temps down at all? If so did it help at all?

Originally Posted by bigugly78cj5
as far as the tires go, what is everyone using? and how long do they last? are the cheap ebay ones any good? or should i go with pro lines which i might just buy to have a set this weekend due to my split in the tire now....
It really depends on what you're looking to spend vs what you're wanting to do mostly. Also where are you going to run your car the most at(surface wise)? And which cheap ebay tires? A lot of the tires on ebay are actually really good tires people just buy them and don't use them or get them for free from sponsors and try to make a buck on them. If you see tires on there that aren't on a hobby site, I wouldn't buy them myself. Not to knock a off brand prior to using them, but I usually stick to the brand names due to knowing they work and are known to be good for a reason.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:50 PM
Tech Regular

Short video of my vorza out on the track.
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Got some good news, just picked up a Ve8 roller with a HHH chassis from the sell forums, should be arriving saturday. Also have a MM and Tekin 1900 on order.

Last edited by Azagar; 11-17-2011 at 09:31 PM.
Tech Legend

the ebay tires I believe he is referring to are either the suprasales ones in the USA or some of the road tires you can find from hong kong.

Suprasales ones I have used in the past and other than needed a really thin wall wheel nut driver works well for what it is.
Tech Addict

Fans didn't help at all. When I say hot I mean in the 200+ range (peaked once at 232) when I would run it hard on track. Didn't matter the gearing...I tried it all. Not knocking Tekin stuff...a lot of guys like it and have success...just didn't work tor me, so I went back to castle and it seems to behave better. I miss how smooth the Tekin rx8 and sensored motor was though.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:53 PM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by Z4Kevo
Fans didn't help at all. When I say hot I mean in the 200+ range (peaked once at 232) when I would run it hard on track. Didn't matter the gearing...I tried it all. Not knocking Tekin stuff...a lot of guys like it and have success...just didn't work tor me, so I went back to castle and it seems to behave better. I miss how smooth the Tekin rx8 and sensored motor was though.
honestly sounds like something was wrong with the motor.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:46 AM
Tech Addict

honestly sounds like something was wrong with the motor.
That's what I thought too. So I sent it back they sent me a new one...same story. Plus my backup RX8/2050kv motor combo did the same thing. It was getting old trying to trouble shoot their gear, so I switched back to Castle. Not a problem since. Dunno.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:05 AM
Tech Legend

sorry to hear that.

I tell you if Castle would make some sensored 1/8 stuff, they could clean up.

Last edited by Cain; 11-18-2011 at 08:34 AM.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:26 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Hi Tec X4 AC Plus charger

I'm fairly new to RC and just purchased a Vorza (from a forum member) for my son. I just ordered some Turnigy lipos from Hobbyking and now need a charger. I'm thinking of investing in a higher end charger. I'm looking at the new Hi Tec X4 AC Plus.

I'm curious what others think of this unit for a newbie who is unfamiliar with Lipo batteries. Is there something else that might be better?

Thanks and I welcome your comments!
Old 11-18-2011, 07:37 AM
Tech Adept

Welcome.. and enjoy ur great new car. Oops i mean ur son
To bad you already bought your lipos because you could have bought one of the higher power iChargers of hobbyking wich are very decent for the money.
I use Hyperion charger works very well.

Btw congrats Azagar.. im still hasving to decide between waiting for the HHH mount to come out or just order the Elite, i know if i order the Elite i wont fancy buying a HHH chassis aswell and have double shipping to europe kinda sucks.. Still no idea if or when it comes

Last edited by Vorzaa; 11-18-2011 at 07:48 AM.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:37 AM
Tech Adept

hey guys,just got my castle link usb lead today.Connected it to my esc to make some adjustments for performance but not to sure where to start.All settings are stock out of the box at the moment,what would you sugest?....
Old 11-18-2011, 08:57 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by sb3504
I'm fairly new to RC and just purchased a Vorza (from a forum member) for my son. I just ordered some Turnigy lipos from Hobbyking and now need a charger. I'm thinking of investing in a higher end charger. I'm looking at the new Hi Tec X4 AC Plus.

I'm curious what others think of this unit for a newbie who is unfamiliar with Lipo batteries. Is there something else that might be better?

Thanks and I welcome your comments!
If I recall correctly, you need to pay close attention to the wattage a charger is able to put out. Again, going from memory here, it works out like this:

7.4V Battery you want to charge at 5 amps. So if the wattage is 50W , your formula is:

50W / 7.4V = 6.75 Amps available

So if you wanted to charge at higher than 6.75 Amps, you can't.

Now here is where it gets sticky, we use 14.8V commonly in 1/8 so, here is what you are left with at 50W

50W / 14.8V = 3.38 Amps available

Assuming you are using batteries like a 5000mah 14.8V, it will take a LONG time to charge your battery.

So pay attention to the wattage the charger can do. I personally use the Hyperion dual charger, 600 series that I have had for awhile now. The model I have doesn't do discharge, but, its not that big of a deal.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:11 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by jon9e
hey guys,just got my castle link usb lead today.Connected it to my esc to make some adjustments for performance but not to sure where to start.All settings are stock out of the box at the moment,what would you sugest?....
One of the first ones I do is set the lipo voltage cutoff from auto whatever to a hard number.

Using 4S I go with about 3.2V to 3.3V per cell. So for me, I set it to 13.0V

I also set punch control to about 20% to start with.

I also got advice to use start power at low and 0% timing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.