Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
HPI Vorza Flux 1/8 E-Buggy Thread >

HPI Vorza Flux 1/8 E-Buggy Thread

Like Tree2Likes

HPI Vorza Flux 1/8 E-Buggy Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 08:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I am curious about how the ESC is wired. I would prefer to run a single 4s rather than two 2s batteries, and I hope the ESC wiring allows that. My friend runs two 2s batteries and has trouble keeping them balanced. His are the type that have bullet connections, so I made him a charge harness that has a single balance tap for all 4 cells and that works ok, but still has issues with one pack needing pulled down a lot more. Its probably due to the two packs not being matched to each other. The SMC saddle pack might eliminate this though. I found some hyperion 5000mah 4s soft case packs at my LHS for $130 I am thinking of getting a few of those. I am also curious as to who handles the warranty issues with the flux system, seeing as how its just a re-branded castle MMM. If HPI handles it, I'm sure they send it out to castle.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:11 PM
Tech Master

The HB Ve8 was released early September. You are looking at sometime around November for the Vorza Flux. The Blitz should be coming in the next couple of weeks!
Old 11-10-2009, 10:46 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by marine6680 View Post
I am curious about how the ESC is wired. I would prefer to run a single 4s rather than two 2s batteries, and I hope the ESC wiring allows that. My friend runs two 2s batteries and has trouble keeping them balanced. His are the type that have bullet connections, so I made him a charge harness that has a single balance tap for all 4 cells and that works ok, but still has issues with one pack needing pulled down a lot more. Its probably due to the two packs not being matched to each other. The SMC saddle pack might eliminate this though. I found some hyperion 5000mah 4s soft case packs at my LHS for $130 I am thinking of getting a few of those. I am also curious as to who handles the warranty issues with the flux system, seeing as how its just a re-branded castle MMM. If HPI handles it, I'm sure they send it out to castle.
Don't mind this questiong but are you referring to the ESC wiring for the Vorza? If so I can recommend how to run a single 4S pack.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:41 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by HYDE16 View Post
Don't mind this questiong but are you referring to the ESC wiring for the Vorza? If so I can recommend how to run a single 4S pack.
They show using two 2s packs in the pictures, but they are not plugged into the ESC. They have the wires tucked away to look good in the pics. I was wondering if the ESC is pre-wired for running 2 packs without a adapter harness like the brushed ESC in the large traxxas trucks or is like the standard MMM that needs a harness for dual batteries.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:53 PM
Tech Regular

The Vorza's ESC comes pre-wired with two male ends to plug into two female connectors on two 2S or 3S battery packs. So basically, yes it's pre-wired for two packs.

HPI's intentions were to give the Vorza setup two connectors since it would be beneficial for people running other vehicles that take a 2S or 3S pack. The problem is getting two lipo packs to run/discharge at exactly the same rate. I decided to run one 1/8 scale ROAR approved hard case 6500mAh 4S 60C 14.8V lipo battery pack from Maxamps.com.

I spoke with Clint from Maxamps who totally helped me determine the best setup for the new Vorza. I called him on the phone to place an order for a reverse series "Y" harness to run a single pack. Now I'm assured the single pack will fit in the battery tray and I won't have to worry about balance charging/discharging.

If you want to run with a single pack and don't want the hassle/expense of making your own adapter, call Clint and order one (888-654-4450).
Old 11-10-2009, 03:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Or you just cut 1 deans off and solder it up to run 1 pack. Much easier this way.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Is the Vorza in stock now?
Old 11-10-2009, 05:43 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by HYDE16 View Post
The Vorza's ESC comes pre-wired with two male ends to plug into two female connectors on two 2S or 3S battery packs. So basically, yes it's pre-wired for two packs.

HPI's intentions were to give the Vorza setup two connectors since it would be beneficial for people running other vehicles that take a 2S or 3S pack. The problem is getting two lipo packs to run/discharge at exactly the same rate. I decided to run one 1/8 scale ROAR approved hard case 6500mAh 4S 60C 14.8V lipo battery pack from Maxamps.com.

I spoke with Clint from Maxamps who totally helped me determine the best setup for the new Vorza. I called him on the phone to place an order for a reverse series "Y" harness to run a single pack. Now I'm assured the single pack will fit in the battery tray and I won't have to worry about balance charging/discharging.

If you want to run with a single pack and don't want the hassle/expense of making your own adapter, call Clint and order one (888-654-4450).
Originally Posted by malik View Post
Or you just cut 1 deans off and solder it up to run 1 pack. Much easier this way.
I am assuming the ESC has just two wires coming out for the battery, and it just has two plugs wired in series to those wires. The traxxas ESCs have 4 battery wires and you would need a jumper to run one pack. I doubt HPI would have had castle change the board to make it wired in series internally. So it would be no big issue to de-solder the extra connector and solder the wires back for single pack running.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:44 PM
Tech Elite

Not yet, I am wanting to get the rear body mount and fr upper brace for my Ve8. This car is going to be sweet, especially for someone who wants the MMM combo too. I ran the D8 all year and loved it now the Ve8 and wouldnt have got the Ve8 and would have got this if I didnt have a motor-esc already.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:28 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by malik View Post
Not yet, I am wanting to get the rear body mount and fr upper brace for my Ve8. This car is going to be sweet, especially for someone who wants the MMM combo too. I ran the D8 all year and loved it now the Ve8 and wouldnt have got the Ve8 and would have got this if I didnt have a motor-esc already.
I'm curious as to how well this thing will preform compared to the Ve8. And curious about how the hyper 9e stacks up against these two as well. Handling is important, but so is durability, and the most durable car can win out for me if the handling is good as well. I'm converting from nitro, so I can go either way.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Marine, this is suposed to be built on the Hot Bodies D8 so I'm sure it will perform well.

IMO, all buggies are the same. Its your setup and driving skills that makes them shine.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:54 AM
Tech Regular

That is what I am thinking, but many people are saying the Ve8 is a big change over the D8. I would think that if the weight is balanced well the Vorza should perform fine.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:40 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by losifiend View Post
Marine, this is suposed to be built on the Hot Bodies D8 so I'm sure it will perform well.

IMO, all buggies are the same. Its your setup and driving skills that makes them shine.
Speaking of setups, HPI told me to follow the D8 or VE8's setups on the HB site:

hotbodiesonline dot com/setups.php
They said it would work the same for the Vorza, anyone have any preliminary recommendations based on their D8's or VE8's?
Old 11-11-2009, 10:55 AM
Suspended

does anyone know the battery box dimensions of the vorza?
Old 11-11-2009, 04:57 PM
Tech Elite

I ran my D8 all year and got really good with the set up on it. The Ve8 is more nimble and will take some what different set up. For example my D8 1.3 pistons and white springs all the way around, Ve8 1.3 piston white springs fr- 1.2 P yellow springs rear. Just little differences. The Vorza I belive will be much better than the Ve8 in the hands of Novice racers. The D8-Vorza is very planted because of the 4mm alum chassis which makes it easy to drive. About the Vorza'a battery tray it will probably fit any battery you want because the tray is adjustable which is SWEET.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service