Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree16Likes

HPI Vorza Flux 1/8 E-Buggy Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 12:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Dagr
Anyone know why the rear center shaft part seems to be listed as "discontinued" everywhere? (... and "out of stock" on the hpi site).

It figures this is the first thing I broke...

HBC8069 Center Shaft 90mm Lightning Series

EDIT: Would this generic dogbone from Ofna work instead? http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHMG4&P=7
that's not the proper part. if i remember the rear center shaft is around 110mm part #103665

#67178 - WCE rear Center Driveshaft
#103691 – Regular universal Rear Driveshaft

the 4x dogbones(wheels) are 90mm and listed as HBC8069 in the manual.
though if you need dogbones go to:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...based-car.html
and buy the used universal ones he's got listed under the car, awsome price.
iwas gonna buy them but got a pair free by chance.

and those shafts from tower you listed are two different legths, one is 86mm, and one is 90mm they come as a pair. so don't buy that set if you need dogbones(for the wheel shafts)
Old 11-11-2010, 01:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ptv83
that's not the proper part. if i remember the rear center shaft is around 110mm part #103665

#67178 - WCE rear Center Driveshaft
#103691 – Regular universal Rear Driveshaft

the 4x dogbones(wheels) are 90mm and listed as HBC8069 in the manual.
though if you need dogbones go to:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...based-car.html
and buy the used universal ones he's got listed under the car, awsome price.
iwas gonna buy them but got a pair free by chance.

and those shafts from tower you listed are two different legths, one is 86mm, and one is 90mm they come as a pair. so don't buy that set if you need dogbones(for the wheel shafts)
I may have just written the wrong name, but its the part I need (found it in the manual)... the HBC8069 90mm center shaft (Lightning Series).

I'm guessing from your mail that these can be replaced with universals... but which ones? (I'll take a look at that link, thanks!).
Old 11-11-2010, 01:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

I may have just written the wrong name, but its the part I need (found it in the manual)... the HBC8069 90mm center shaft (Lightning Series).

I'm guessing from your mail that these can be replaced with universals... but which ones? (I'll take a look at that link, thanks!).
all the shafts can be replaced with universals.

i listed two versions of center rear driveshafts (they go between the center dif and the rear dif) , the WCE is the "world championship editions" and the regular is the "high efficiancy adn durabilty" universal shaft.

with both you replace the rear shaft retainer and shaft with the universal.

the ones in the link are to replace your dogbones. (they go between your rear dif and your wheels)

they are completely different applications.

i was confused by what you actually needed by your first post. since the length you were interested in was 90mm(dogbones) but you used the words "rear center driveshaft" which is 110mm(normal) 105mm(universal)
Old 11-11-2010, 01:59 PM
Tech Adept

all the shafts can be replaced with universals.

i listed two versions of center rear driveshafts (they go between the center dif and the rear dif) , the WCE is the "world championship editions" and the regular is the "high efficiancy adn durabilty" universal shaft.

with both you replace the rear shaft retainer and shaft with the universal.

the ones in the link are to replace your dogbones. (they go between your rear dif and your wheels)

they are completely different applications.

i was confused by what you actually needed by your first post. since the length you were interested in was 90mm(dogbones) but you used the words "rear center driveshaft" which is 110mm(normal) 105mm(universal)

Ok... bear with me here then as I try to learn the terminology correctly. So what I'm looking for are universal drive shafts for the rear to the wheels. Aren't the ones listed in the add you linked too long?

So what exactly does CVD stand for? (sorry for the stupid questions... just trying to sort it out since the manual isn't particularly clear other than for listing part numbers!).

Thanks
Old 11-11-2010, 02:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

Talking

Ok... bear with me here then as I try to learn the terminology correctly. So what I'm looking for are universal drive shafts for the rear to the wheels. Aren't the ones listed in the add you linked too long?

So what exactly does CVD stand for? (sorry for the stupid questions... just trying to sort it out since the manual isn't particularly clear other than for listing part numbers!).

Thanks
yes the ones i linked are for the wheels.

and they'll fit perfectly!
.. they're a bit longer 91 or 92mm(HPI changed the design after a while) to prevent "pop outs".(when the "dogbone" end.. looks like the end of a dog's bone slips out of the "retainer".. or "the thing it goes into") .. the measurement i asked for in the thread is from a different point than usually measured from, hence the longer length listed. they are direct replacements for the stock ones.

Constant Velocity Joint CVDs have a barrel, a pin and set-screw to hold it together
and a "Universal" Joint uses an actual universal + joint at the end. this + is made using a internal middle piece and two pins that crosseach other..

"CVD" and "Universal" are sometimes (i did it) used interchangably to describe both CVD and universal CVD types of shafts.
.. they're both very similar in design and both perform the same job, just one is better and more efficiently than the other one.

"CVD" stands for "Constant Velocity Driveshaft" and actual CVDs are best used as axles to drive the wheels ,as they have be able to do various angle changes as the suspension goes up and down while you drive over bumps.
and "Universal" jointed driveshafts are best used as center driveshafts because they stay stationary and don't move up and down..

-----
the ones in the ad (link) are CVD and are properly suited to be used to replace the wheel dogbones... normally they're about $30 each ($60 a pair) or more depending on what brand you buy.

Cheers, EH!
Phil
Old 11-11-2010, 04:44 PM
Tech Adept

yes the ones i linked are for the wheels.

and they'll fit perfectly!
.. they're a bit longer 91 or 92mm(HPI changed the design after a while) to prevent "pop outs".(when the "dogbone" end.. looks like the end of a dog's bone slips out of the "retainer".. or "the thing it goes into") .. the measurement i asked for in the thread is from a different point than usually measured from, hence the longer length listed. they are direct replacements for the stock ones.

Constant Velocity Joint CVDs have a barrel, a pin and set-screw to hold it together
and a "Universal" Joint uses an actual universal + joint at the end. this + is made using a internal middle piece and two pins that crosseach other..

"CVD" and "Universal" are sometimes (i did it) used interchangably to describe both CVD and universal CVD types of shafts.
.. they're both very similar in design and both perform the same job, just one is better and more efficiently than the other one.

"CVD" stands for "Constant Velocity Driveshaft" and actual CVDs are best used as axles to drive the wheels ,as they have be able to do various angle changes as the suspension goes up and down while you drive over bumps.
and "Universal" jointed driveshafts are best used as center driveshafts because they stay stationary and don't move up and down..

-----
the ones in the ad (link) are CVD and are properly suited to be used to replace the wheel dogbones... normally they're about $30 each ($60 a pair) or more depending on what brand you buy.

Cheers, EH!
Phil
Ok, many thanks for the info! I'm still a bit confused, but getting there.

At this point I'm just trying to find a reasonable option that I can get quickly... since this messed up my weekend plans *grin*. (That's what I get for going a little too crazy with my new 6s setup and sliding side first into a sidewalk).

It is pretty annoying though that you can't find the stock part anywhere (especially since its the cheapest option).
Old 11-11-2010, 05:29 PM
Tech Adept

Regarding the option parts... would the following be appropriate for the rear diff to wheel shaft?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...7518&search=Go

(Part 67518, Universal Drive Shaft Set)... I'm assuming this is a CVD drive shaft.

I'm having trouble distinguishing which drive shaft each part is intended for... there are two down the center, and one going to each wheel right (or am I missing something obvious)?

Also... with this type of part, if you replace one side, is it important to replace the opposite side as well for balance, or does it not matter?

EDIT: ... so 67518 is stock on the fronts... can the same part be used in the rear (is that why it is listed as optional in the manual as well as in the stock parts list?).

Thanks again... having this buggy has been a great re-education for me in all things RC (I was out of the hobby for quite some time, and am LOVING this model!).

Last edited by Dagr; 11-11-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

Regarding the option parts... would the following be appropriate for the rear diff to wheel shaft?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...7518&search=Go

(Part 67518, Universal Drive Shaft Set)... I'm assuming this is a CVD drive shaft.

I'm having trouble distinguishing which drive shaft each part is intended for... there are two down the center, and one going to each wheel right (or am I missing something obvious)?

Also... with this type of part, if you replace one side, is it important to replace the opposite side as well for balance, or does it not matter?

EDIT: ... so 67518 is stock on the fronts... can the same part be used in the rear (is that why it is listed as optional in the manual as well as in the stock parts list?).

Thanks again... having this buggy has been a great re-education for me in all things RC (I was out of the hobby for quite some time, and am LOVING this model!).
yes, that's a CVD joint. and it fits the front or the rear.. FYI tower has the incorrect measurement listed for that part.
http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/67518/
YES, if you change one side, you have to change the other side to CVD... ok you don't have to, but the car will not steer evenly through corners. you'll get over steer in one direction and under steer in the other.. the car may be out of balance mid -air aswell.. but you could drive with one side cvd and the other dogbone.

for reference:
this is the WCE version wheel axil CVD drive shaft
http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/67177/

this is the rear center CVD shaft
http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/103691/
the WCE version rear center CVD shaft
http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/67178/
the WCE version rear center CVD shaft ONLY
http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/67170/

this is the front center CVD shaft
http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/67217/
the WCE version Front center CVD shaft
http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/67179/
the WCE version Front center CVD shaft ONLY
http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/67171/

For reference this is what actual NON-CVD UNIVERSAL joints look like
http://www.google.com/images?q=unive...w=1276&bih=805

you can see the difference, a CVD likes like a ball end going into a cup, with a single pin throught it, where a universal has two opposite pieces around a middle + piece with TWO pins joining it all together.

NON-CVD universal joints don't have as great of a range of motion as CVD's do.. at great angles they'll bind up, wear out, and then break, because the shaft hits the middle piece.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:48 PM
Tech Adept

Awesome post, thanks a ton... that really helps!
Old 11-15-2010, 11:20 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Would you guys recommend the Vorza for someone who just wants to have fun with a 1/8 electric buggy? Nothing serious.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:32 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Yup, my buddy's got one. Durable platform, cheap parts, and with a few minor tweaks, you can be competitive racing it.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by clamber
Would you guys recommend the Vorza for someone who just wants to have fun with a 1/8 electric buggy? Nothing serious.
If you're just looking to bash around the neighbourhood it should be noted that Truggy's are easier to drive, more durable, handle shock and abuse better, go through grass better than buggies.

also the vorza is NOT durable at all. i've been very disapointed with it. with most of the parts on it being either Losi, Redcat, or machined myself.

the most durable cars out there are team associated, mugen, kyosho and tamyia. with a highlight on the tamiya TRF801X/T.. they're incredibly tough.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dan
Yup, my buddy's got one. Durable platform, cheap parts, and with a few minor tweaks, you can be competitive racing it.

can you link some info about the "tweaks" to make it competitive? i'm mostly into bashing, but will be taking it to a track next summer. but bash on it this winter.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

my buggy seems pretty durable. i broke a wheel knuckle...but i hit a curb sideways at 40mph rounding a corner. i had a D8T before my vorza. pretty much the same vehicle, just a little taller and longer and wider. the HPI savage has the same electronics as the vorza and is a serious basher if thats what you are after. the savage can even be modded a little to be competitive for racing...assuming you can find somewhere to race a monster truck. hahahhahaa
Old 11-16-2010, 05:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you're just looking to bash around the neighbourhood it should be noted that Truggy's are easier to drive, more durable, handle shock and abuse better, go through grass better than buggies.

also the vorza is NOT durable at all. i've been very disapointed with it. with most of the parts on it being either Losi, Redcat, or machined myself.

the most durable cars out there are team associated, mugen, kyosho and tamyia. with a highlight on the tamiya TRF801X/T.. they're incredibly tough.
I'd like to see a photo of your "Losi, Redcat, or machined myself" Vorza with the body off please.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.