Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
HPI Vorza Flux 1/8 E-Buggy Thread >

HPI Vorza Flux 1/8 E-Buggy Thread

Like Tree4Likes

HPI Vorza Flux 1/8 E-Buggy Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 06:05 AM
Tech Regular

Paulie, that park looks SICK!!!!
If I ever come out to Japan I'll be there.

Dare I ask how much it cost to put that park together less land / rental / fees? How much did it cost in materials and labor?
Old 01-04-2010, 10:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Ran my Vorza for the first time this past weekend, and I was EXTREMELY impressed. I currently run a nitro D8, and recently completed a D8 / Tekno / Novak conversion. Running the Vorza was an awesome experience.

First impression opening the box was that the layout was extremely clean. Lots of thought towards wire routing, and kudos to an awesome battery box. Going into it, I was concerned the sensorless system would feel 'different' than my sensored Novak experience. I was also interested to compare the brakes between my E D8 (with servo brakes) and the motor braking on the Vorza.

I installed my personal radio, track specific tires, and adjusted the ride height [lower] a bit. Ran it 100% box stock 4S besides that - kit settings for shocks, diffs, droop, etc.

This buggy is sorted. It ran toe to toe with a fully sorted Losi / Tekno conversion buggy. Speed, handling, quality...it's all there.

The motor / esc was flawless. Feel is suburb, and if I was was put up to a blind 'taste test', I honestly would not be able to tell you it's a sensorless system. Same with the braking...they performed perfectly. I didn't miss the braking bias adjustability I thought I needed.

I prefer the simpler (fewer components, cleaner wiring), and ultimately more reliable setup the Vorza has.

For anyone looking to get into a fully sorted, race quality e 1:8 buggy...I highly recommend the Vorza.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by TC_Tuner View Post
Ran my Vorza for the first time this past weekend, and I was EXTREMELY impressed. I currently run a nitro D8, and recently completed a D8 / Tekno / Novak conversion. Running the Vorza was an awesome experience.

First impression opening the box was that the layout was extremely clean. Lots of thought towards wire routing, and kudos to an awesome battery box. Going into it, I was concerned the sensorless system would feel 'different' than my sensored Novak experience. I was also interested to compare the brakes between my E D8 (with servo brakes) and the motor braking on the Vorza.

I installed my personal radio, track specific tires, and adjusted the ride height [lower] a bit. Ran it 100% box stock 4S besides that - kit settings for shocks, diffs, droop, etc.

This buggy is sorted. It ran toe to toe with a fully sorted Losi / Tekno conversion buggy. Speed, handling, quality...it's all there.

The motor / esc was flawless. Feel is suburb, and if I was was put up to a blind 'taste test', I honestly would not be able to tell you it's a sensorless system. Same with the braking...they performed perfectly. I didn't miss the braking bias adjustability I thought I needed.

I prefer the simpler (fewer components, cleaner wiring), and ultimately more reliable setup the Vorza has.

For anyone looking to get into a fully sorted, race quality e 1:8 buggy...I highly recommend the Vorza.
I am glad to hear you like it. I don't own one but I know in a few months when racing starts am sure I will get behind a wheel of one. As with the motor being sensored or not I would think you would notice a difference when first starting out at slow speed. At mid to high speed I would think it would feel the same. I have both kinds in my 1/10 and it's hard for me to notice anything between them other then just taking off.

How did the buggy do on the jumps. Does it fly level? How about taking off hard does all the power go to the front wheels? Just wondering what kind of tuning will need to be done.

Thanks for your input.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:17 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RcWorkShopp View Post
I don't own one but I know in a few months when racing starts am sure I will get behind a wheel of one.
You absolutely will get behind the wheel of one with aftermarket tires and the universal conversions....April couldn't come faster for the Dirt Runners season.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by HYDE16 View Post
You absolutely will get behind the wheel of one with aftermarket tires and the universal conversions....April couldn't come faster for the Dirt Runners season.
I know right! I am looking forward in trying your buggy out. THANKS. Just trying to get a feel of what will need to be changed or not.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:23 AM
Tech Master

Vorza jumps and flies like the D8 - very predictable.

I run on a high traction, clay track (Leisure Hours Raceway - Joliet, IL) - I was using ProLine Inside Job MC compound tires.

Buggy accelerates with all the authority that high powered, electric 1:8 buggies have. Didn't have any poor front/rear diff bias on power using box setup, but I will apply my current nitro D8 setup to see if it gets even better.

As mentioned, I too [incorrectly] predicted that I would feel low speed sensorless studder off the line. I didn't, at all. I also have the 1:8 BL E-Revo (same motor/esc). I find this to also be extremely smooth. Seems like CC is on their game.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:34 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RcWorkShopp View Post
I know right! I am looking forward in trying your buggy out. THANKS. Just trying to get a feel of what will need to be changed or not.
Awesome! I have a few things I think we'll need to change off the bat based on the D8 setup chart I put together:
-Tires (ordered AKA Cityblocks and Pro-Line Calibers to start for the Dirt Runners track)
-Swap out the dogbones for DCJ universals if I can figure out how to do it.

As for tuning I was thinking of changing:
-Diff fluid 5-5-2 / F-C-R
-Shock oil I want to leave stock for now
-Springs I want to leave stock for now
-Ride height, droop, camber and toe I want to leave stock for now.

I run on a high traction, clay track (Leisure Hours Raceway - Joliet, IL) - I was using ProLine Inside Job MC compound tires.

Buggy accelerates with all the authority that high powered, electric 1:8 buggies have. Didn't have any poor front/rear diff bias on power using box setup, but I will apply my current nitro D8 setup to see if it gets even better.

As mentioned, I too [incorrectly] predicted that I would feel low speed sensorless studder off the line. I didn't, at all. I also have the 1:8 BL E-Revo (same motor/esc). I find this to also be extremely smooth. Seems like CC is on their game.
TC_Tuner, what D8 setup are you going to run for shock weights and diff weights?
Old 01-04-2010, 11:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thank you for your input! Good luck with your new Buggy and please keep us updated.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:09 AM
Tech Master

TC_Tuner, what D8 setup are you going to run for shock weights and diff weights?
Our high traction clay track requires some unique setups - normal setups don't always work well here, and the ideal setup for here doesn't typically work on 'normal' tracks.

I would find someone that's successfully running the D8 at your local track, and work off their setup.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:57 AM
Tech Regular

Just as an FYI for anyone looking for different bodies for the Vorza, I emailed JConcepts and here’s the reply I got about the D8 / Ve8 Illuzion body:

“Hello - thanks for your email and your interest in JConcepts. Sorry, It doesn't fit the Vorza.”

Has anyone else found any other bodies?
Old 01-04-2010, 12:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You may wish to take a look at the Pro-Line Slipstream body. It fits the D8 Tekno V3 conversion but that chassis is just under 7" wide.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by HYDE16 View Post
Just as an FYI for anyone looking for different bodies for the Vorza, I emailed JConcepts and here’s the reply I got about the D8 / Ve8 Illuzion body:

“Hello - thanks for your email and your interest in JConcepts. Sorry, It doesn't fit the Vorza.”

Has anyone else found any other bodies?
Back when Parma came out with there 1/8 X-Citer Buggy body I had asked them if it would fit my old Ofna Ultra GT. They were so nice that they sent me a clear body for free. The guy told me to paint it up and fit it and let them know if it worked and to send them pics. I am trying to find the pic to post. The body is real nice looking you might want to check it out. Not sure if it will fit but it's meant to be for the newer cars.

It was cool doing the body up for them and even getting it for free. Parma told me if I wanted more they would sell it a discount price but this was two years ago. To bad I did not stay in touch with them.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:35 PM
Tech Regular

I just emailed both companies to see if they feel their bodies can fit our Vorza's.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:41 PM
Tech Initiate

I think clear bodies are available for the Vorza now from HPI. They're not on their website, but I heard they were shipping out.

I'm getting my setup closer and closer. I ran it last weekend and again it ran great.

for diff oils, I ran 5k in front, 5k in center and 2k in rear. If I go up to 5k in rear, what will it do?
Old 01-05-2010, 02:56 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Fastenough View Post
for diff oils, I ran 5k in front, 5k in center and 2k in rear. If I go up to 5k in rear, what will it do?
Increasing the weight in the rear diff will help you increase traction (3,000-5,000wt.).

This will help you:
-Tune 1/8-scale Diffs-
-Tech Article – Diff tuning guide for Buggy and Truggy-

The 5-5-2 setup seems to be the most consistent diff setup for the D8's and Ve8's from all of the setup sheets I've found.
I'm going to start with this and if I find I need more traction at my local track even after trying all of my aftermarket tires, I'll increase the rear diff weight slightly in 1,000wt. increments.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service