Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
HPI Vorza Flux 1/8 E-Buggy Thread >

HPI Vorza Flux 1/8 E-Buggy Thread

Like Tree4Likes

HPI Vorza Flux 1/8 E-Buggy Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 05:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

The plasyics you can find anywhere the ace towers you have to go to the D8 thread and ask for WB-RACER-ACE he makes them, and some other parts or this car. I have or have had all of his D8-Ve8-vorza parts and all are awesome. If he doesnt get back to you timely PM me I will give you his phone number. Guys ask him also if he has any of his 5MM thick CF towers if you want to lighten up the car say for racing they are indestructable. I have them and the 6mm alums. My CF ones are on my 3rd car already as I have had a nitro D8 a e converted D8 and now they are on the ve8. He also makes a CF ackerman plate that gives you more adjustments. Someone measure the rear droop they gave you guys the car with and if its not enough I can tell you guys what to do to get more.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:02 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Just thought I would throw this in for those needing to change motor mounts. I converted a friend's D8T using RCMonster Mikes motor mount this summer and this guy only knows one speed (WFO) he's a very good driver and doesn't crash much but when he does it's a hard lick. I used the HobbyWing 44mm motor (it's huge) After racing all summer the motor mount is still perfect! Very tough mount IMHO! Here is the link http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail.php?prod=RCMD8
Old 12-31-2009, 01:47 PM
Tech Rookie

Default LIPO battery Help

Hi I'm new to this forum and LIPO batteries! My 1st post!

I got a Vorza for Christmas (Santa was soo good to me!) and I had to get some batteries and a charger for it. I wanted to max out the voltage and get all the power! So I got 2 - 11.1v 3s 3800mah Lipo batteries. I am just learning about how Lipo's work, and my question;

Is soft case lipos ok for this car? It says in the manual to only use hard case.

I have heard from the hobby store that soft case you run the risk of puncturing a cell and swelling, explosion, or fire happening.

But is that something I should really be concerned about? Do they get damaged or puncture very easily? They are in the battery holder and its a tight fit.

I am using this just for fun I'm not racing or any thing.

Does any one else use the soft case or both?

Here is a link for the Lipo's I have:

greathobbies.com/productinfo/?prod_id=TGH380L335

Someone wanted Weight with out batteries; 7lb 8.8 oz - 3.42 Kg
Weight with a digital food scale!

Thanks for the help!
Old 12-31-2009, 02:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Silence View Post
Hi I'm new to this forum and LIPO batteries! My 1st post!

I got a Vorza for Christmas (Santa was soo good to me!) and I had to get some batteries and a charger for it. I wanted to max out the voltage and get all the power! So I got 2 - 11.1v 3s 3800mah Lipo batteries. I am just learning about how Lipo's work, and my question;

Is soft case lipos ok for this car? It says in the manual to only use hard case.

I have heard from the hobby store that soft case you run the risk of puncturing a cell and swelling, explosion, or fire happening.

But is that something I should really be concerned about? Do they get damaged or puncture very easily? They are in the battery holder and its a tight fit.

I am using this just for fun I'm not racing or any thing.

Does any one else use the soft case or both?

Here is a link for the Lipo's I have:

greathobbies.com/productinfo/?prod_id=TGH380L335

Someone wanted Weight with out batteries; 7lb 8.8 oz - 3.42 Kg
Weight with a digital food scale!

Thanks for the help!
You can use soft case but it's safer to use hard. if you take a piece of plastic and put on top of the battery before you strap them in that will help protect them.

also make sure you get a a lipo charger with a balance port or separate balancer. it is very important both battery's charge together as they will drain together when using them. make sure you unplug the battery from the speed controller and themselves or the packs will drain below the safe limit of 3.0 volts per cell. the last thing is make sure they are put away at 60% if your not going to use them. lipos are great battery's but need a lot of care.

good luck and let us know how it works out for you.

Last edited by RcWorkShopp; 12-31-2009 at 05:01 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:53 PM
Tech Regular

Silence,

Listen to RCWorkShopp, he absolutely knows what he's talking about.
He's coached me through the same exact situation, he's been my personal customer service rep for buggies, batteries, radios, tires, etc.

Happy New Years all!!!!!
Old 01-01-2010, 12:04 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by RcWorkShopp View Post
You can use soft case but it's safer to use hard. if you take a piece of plastic and put on top of the battery before you strap them in that will help protect them.

also make sure you get a a lipo charger with a balance port or separate balancer. it is very important both battery's charge together as they will drain together when using them. make sure you unplug the battery from the speed controller and themselves or the packs will drain below the safe limit of 3.0 volts per cell. the last thing is make sure they are put away at 60% if your not going to use them. lipos are great battery's but need a lot of care.

good luck and let us know how it works out for you.
Thanks Ill cut a piece of plastic to put on top!

My charger has a built in balancer but only charges one pack at a time. Is that ok?

Also when I hook up the second Deans Connector on the vorza to the batteries it sparks, is that normal?

I have been charging the 3800mah packs at 4 amps is that ok or should I do 3 Amps?

Thanks for your help!
Old 01-01-2010, 06:20 AM
Tech Addict

My charger has a built in balancer but only charges one pack at a time. Is that ok?

Also when I hook up the second Deans Connector on the vorza to the batteries it sparks, is that normal?

I have been charging the 3800mah packs at 4 amps is that ok or should I do 3 Amps?

Thanks for your help!
Soft case LiPos are just as safe as hard if installed and charged correctly the #1 safety measure with soft case cells is to place a wide strip (at least1") of velcro on the bottom of the pack. Hook side in the battery tray (full length of battery) As for charging ALLWAYS balance charge. The newer cells are much tougher and can be safely charged at a 2c rate. Example: 5000mAh = 5Ah x2 =10amps. Don't waste your money on one of the cheap Hong Kong chargers bite the bullet and buy a good one. I recommend the iCharger 106B+ (about $140.00) and never discharge your packs below 3.2 volts per cell!! I have raced for two years with soft case packs and never puffed a pack. I f you will stick to these measures you should have zero problems. Don't worry about the sparking they all do that.
Just my .02 worth
Old 01-01-2010, 06:21 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for your help!
If i can help I will. If i don't know the answer i will tell you. What kind of charger do you have and what make are the balance ports on the battery. I will be able to help you better.

To be safe i always charge the battery asper what the company says to. If it's not marked I charge 1C. So your charging at 3 amps and that is fine.

As long as you plug the battery the right way black to black and red to red you will be fine. Make sure the speed controller is off before plugging in. If not as soon as you plug the battery in it tries to draw current and that's why it sparks. So make sure it's off before plugging in the battery.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Yes, this is OK. It would be better to have your batteries connected together (just like when they are in the car) for charging, but your charger would have to be capable of charging 4S and have the appropriate 4S balance connection on both the charger and battery. If you can only charge one pack at a time (2S), so be it; you should be fine.

Yes, this is common sometimes; even with the ESC off (but you should have it off when you connect the batteries).

4A is just over a 1C charge rate and should be fine (1C rate would be 3.8A).

Thanks for your help!
Hope that helps
Old 01-01-2010, 12:46 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for all the great reply's!

Here is a link to my charger:

greathobbies.com/productinfo/?prod_id=DYM4066

I dont think It can handle the voltage of charging the two 3s packs, although it can charge 6s? Maybe I just need to get the right connectors to hook both up?

I always had the ESC off when connecting, must just be all the power!

Thanks!
Old 01-02-2010, 05:52 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks for all the great reply's!

Here is a link to my charger:

greathobbies.com/productinfo/?prod_id=DYM4066

I dont think It can handle the voltage of charging the two 3s packs, although it can charge 6s? Maybe I just need to get the right connectors to hook both up?

I always had the ESC off when connecting, must just be all the power!

Thanks!
Your charger will do fine to start with but the wattage is very low (50W) and at that the charger won't even make it to 5 amps. This is only a problem if you are racing and only have one battery as I am sure your charge time is over 1hr. In my humble opinion 250W is the min. for chargers like this one.
http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...php?item_id=87
Old 01-02-2010, 06:21 AM
Tech Apprentice

HYDE16 have you got your new wheels/tires for this beast? i'm keen to see some photos without the stockies on. keep the updates coming, very interested in this buggy.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:01 AM
Tech Regular

I ordered a set of AKA City Block tires on white wheels this past week.
This coming week I'm going to order the Pro-Line Caliber tires on white wheels as well.
Last but not least I need to order a short-pin tire for a local indoor track. Not sure which tire I should get though. I was looking at the Hot Bodies Megabite tires or AKA Grid Iron tires.

As soon as I get the City Blocks in I'll snap a few pictures and post them up.

Anyone else buying tires for their Vorza?
Old 01-02-2010, 07:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have a set of Jconcepts Goosebumps on maxup wheels to run on a loamy outdoor track. My Vorza is showing up on Monday and ill have it at the track on next Sunday. I'll let you guys know how it does.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:16 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by HYDE16 View Post
Thanks Paulie, I was waiting for you to hop on and check out the pictures!
I lucked out with the red and it looks good in person.

Congrats on your new Vorza, let us know what color it is!!!!
Well fellas, I got my Vorza and it's a Blue one. Kinda bummed, but not to worry, I took the stickers off and I'm making my own. I did up a rendering on the computer and I think it looks pretty sweet. I'll post up pics when it's finished.

Meanwhile, I haven't changed out the "basher" stock set up to something more race worthy yet. I've been so busy building our new track I haven't had time to do much of anything lately.

We're building a new off-road R/C park on one of the Marine bases here in Okinawa, Japan. It's been 9 months in the making, and the grand opening is this Saturday. I did up some artwork for it to post in the local hobby shops...let me know what you think...

I think the Vorza is going to do real well on the 1/8th track...

- Paulie

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service