Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree25Likes

Scale Stage R/C Rally

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 01:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Would anyone have any input on transforming a TB02 into a rally car?

It is only 2wd since the propeller shaft snapped (rocks get under it and grind it). Will that be an issue or will it still be drivable as a 2wd rally car?
Old 03-25-2012, 02:21 PM
Tech Regular

TB-02 was one of most used rally cars here... You only need longer shocks and cut some parts to increase ride height... in future maybe front CVDs and make bigger steer lock.
But as RWD it wonť work, it hasn't enough weight on rear axle... I tried it with TB-03 before I made RWD rally car from RWD buggy
Old 03-25-2012, 04:58 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the input. Infact, I've tried it today.

My friend lent me his rally blocks. So, I installed those and as for electronics, I had the silver can motor along with a Dynamite ESC.

The car went pretty well I must say. The tires helped a lot. The only issue was ground clearance. Sometimes the car would stay jammed up on a pile of dirt/sand.

So, I guess I have a pretty good setup.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Hey guys, just found this thread, there's been a lot to catch up on... I just recently converted my ae tc4 to a rally car, hardest part was building a proper dust cover for the sand and small gravel I run in over here ( the steering systems are dead at the tiniest piece of gravel) , so far it has cost nothing but I just ordered some tires... I built upper shock relocation brackets but it's still too stiff and need to find the right spot on the lower control arms for the new mounting location to give me the cushion.
Biggest problem if anybody else has run into this, when the suspension compresses I get massive toe out and causes erratic steering at the wrong time through banked turns, I'm thinking I might have to relocate the steering rack closer to the center of the spindle???(I might have that backwards)
I'll try and get some pics up, but I'm operating off my mobile device.
And another thing, where the heck can I get a 190mm or 200mm 08 impreza 5 door body for a reasonable price?
Old 03-27-2012, 04:09 PM
Tech Regular

Tamiya makes those bodies. You can get them at RCmart or get them ordered at your lhs.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:30 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

HPI has some Impreza bodies, but I don't think they're 08's, but you can check them out.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:37 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

Here are some Impreza bodies. There are a few more on Ebay.

http://www.r2hobbies.com/eng/proddet...prod=rcve51126

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-10-for-Sub...ht_5781wt_1089

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-10-SUBARU-...#ht_7018wt_885

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-18-Subaru-...#ht_7080wt_885
Old 03-27-2012, 06:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Desert36
Hey guys, just found this thread, there's been a lot to catch up on... I just recently converted my ae tc4 to a rally car.....
Would be interested to see some pics!

What are others thoughts on the TC4 as a rally car. Here in Oz the popular choice is the Thunder Tiger Sparrowhawk, but I can't buy a chassis only, so I'll be wasting $100- on electronics/bodies that I don't need. Associated have just brought out a roller only version of their TC4 for only $150-. Sounds good if you can get the ground clearance we need.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:04 PM
Tech Rookie

I've got 1" of ground clearance with standard touring tires, got some rally blocks ordered so should get a touch more, but my suspension is a bit too stiff. I will get steel diff out drives when the factory ones break but they've been holding up good so far and I have cought some air with hard landings, I do have aluminum drive shafts though.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:15 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I've got 1" of ground clearance with standard touring tires, got some rally blocks ordered so should get a touch more, but my suspension is a bit too stiff. I will get steel diff out drives when the factory ones break but they've been holding up good so far and I have cought some air with hard landings, I do have aluminum drive shafts though.
if you're suspension is too stiff, you can try what the AE TC3 rally kit recommended/included

front - #6494 green (buggy) spring
rear - #8232 black (buggy) spring

I run this setup on my TC3 rally and its a nice soft suspension

the rally kit also included replacement shock shafts - #6461 .56 shock shafts - to go in the front and rear

try that, you might get the suspension setup you're looking for

as far as the TC4 being a good rally car - the TC3 is, so i figure the TC4 should make a nice rally ride as well
Old 03-28-2012, 06:40 AM
Tech Champion

has anyone ever tried any of these bodies for rallying? or just in general??

Ford Focus - http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-10-Ford-Fo...item1e6399f8f3

VW GTI - http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-10-Volkswa...item35b211306a

IMRREZA WRX - http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-10-SUBARU-...item1e6399f8f2

I like the focus and GTi - but curious if anyone has tried them and how well do they hold up (ie, how thick is the lexan)
Old 03-28-2012, 07:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (96%+)

Originally Posted by k_bojar
has anyone ever tried any of these bodies for rallying? or just in general??

Ford Focus - http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-10-Ford-Fo...item1e6399f8f3

VW GTI - http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-10-Volkswa...item35b211306a

IMRREZA WRX - http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-10-SUBARU-...item1e6399f8f2

I like the focus and GTi - but curious if anyone has tried them and how well do they hold up (ie, how thick is the lexan)
From what I have heard, R2 bodies are cheap and thin. If you are using it on a rally car, I suggest a body from a better company (Tamiya or HPI). A few hard hits and that R2 body will be in pieces.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:34 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by SerpentCT4S
From what I have heard, R2 bodies are cheap and thin. If you are using it on a rally car, I suggest a body from a better company (Tamiya or HPI). A few hard hits and that R2 body will be in pieces.
bummer - that's what I was afraid i was going to hear

i was hoping for better news since this body here:

looks like one of the R2 bodies

Last edited by k_bojar; 03-28-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Thanks. What do you mean by stiff suspension. Just stiff in the shock oil/spring? Or stiff in binding issues because of the ride height?

Originally Posted by k_bojar
if you're suspension is too stiff, you can try what the AE TC3 rally kit recommended/included

front - #6494 green (buggy) spring
rear - #8232 black (buggy) spring

I run this setup on my TC3 rally and its a nice soft suspension

the rally kit also included replacement shock shafts - #6461 .56 shock shafts - to go in the front and rear

try that, you might get the suspension setup you're looking for

as far as the TC4 being a good rally car - the TC3 is, so i figure the TC4 should make a nice rally ride as well
I take it you've got the full rally pack on the TC3? That gives you the better ground clearance? What sort of ground clearance do you get? Any issue with upper or lower arm binding with the extra height?
Old 03-28-2012, 04:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sith Lord
Thanks. What do you mean by stiff suspension. Just stiff in the shock oil/spring? Or stiff in binding issues because of the ride height?
I too have the TC3 Rally conversion, and with thicker oil and the springs mentioned, it should allow for decent travel. I did free up some travel by shaving my C hubs a little, and also taking out the bump-stops (droop plate) to give a bit more down travel.

Originally Posted by Sith Lord
I take it you've got the full rally pack on the TC3? That gives you the better ground clearance? What sort of ground clearance do you get? Any issue with upper or lower arm binding with the extra height?
It makes for a smoother jumping car cause it absorbed jumps better. Also, I think the TC4 spec car you mentioned would be the better choice. The TC3 steering rack is limiting, the swing rack of the TC4 would be better. Plus, the Rally conversion should bolt up, IF you can still find them.

Good Luck,

MOmo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.