Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/8 buggy choices

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 09:07 AM
Tech Rookie

Default 1/8 buggy choices

I really want to buy a buggy this spring. But I only have around $650 to spend on the buggy and everything I need to get it going. I would like to get a kit, but there aren't many out there that I can buy without getting the engine and electronics. I would like to have a nice radio with it. Not a cheap AM radio. I was thinking about the Lightning Pro, or the Swift. What parts are compatable with these buggies? What do you guys reccomend?
Old 01-22-2004, 09:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

there's a thread entitled "1/8 offroad buggy"... i think you should check it out... it answers most of your questions and much much more.... even if it doesn't, it makes interesting reading...
Old 01-28-2004, 03:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

You can get a GS Storm RTR for $550 at hobby stores or as low as $400 on eBay and it comes with a nice JR Racing XR3i FM radio and decent servos. All you need is fuel, batteries, and a glow ignitor.
Old 01-29-2004, 02:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

GS is releasing an all new buggy so the original Storm may or may not have parts support. Horizon is also releasing a car in March or so that looks promising and the price should be right. The PRP Swift car looks like a rip off of a Mugen MBX-5 but I have heard it is heavier and more cheaply made.

You should be able to find a Hyper 7 Pro for $400 from Ultimate Hobbies. Get an Airtronics MX-3 (3 channel fm) radio with one servo for brake ($100), Airtronics 358 servo for steering ($100), OS RG engine ($110), Ofna starterbox with batteries ($80), and Ofna receiver pack ($15). That is what I would consider a minimum race level setup but it would cost around $800.

You could get a Lightning Pro for $339, sell the engine and pipe on ebay for $100 and then buy the Airtronics radio and servo and OS engine with starter box. That might be close to $650. I'm not sure if you can get away with a standard servo on the Lightning brakes but the Hyper's 4 disk setup will lock up with a standard servo.

It is tough to get started in 1/8 racing for $650 if you don't already have the radio equipment. You could probably get a used Kyosho 7.5 or Hyper 7 setup off of ebay for $650 but the engine may or may not be trashed.

Don't think you can get by with those Hitec 625 and 645 servos in 1/8 racing either unless you are just bashing. Realistically there are a couple of $80 servos (Futaba 9402, KO non digitals, and Hitec 925/945) that can hack it and everything else is around $100 per servo.
Old 01-29-2004, 02:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

What's wrong with the 625 and 645 servos in 1/8 racing? Too slow? Too weak?

I'm having servo-envy right now. I've got a Savage that just toasted its 645MG, a new Storm SUT, a new Storm buggy, and I'm putting together an RC10GT. I plan to race the buggy, SUT, and GT this summer on a large local off-road track. The problem is everyone tells me to go crazy with the servos, don't skimp, etc., but man, they're expensive! I mean, one steering servo alone isn't bad, but if I need a $100 servo for the steering in each vehicle...that's adding up mighty fast.

I know, racing isn't cheap, and I didn't expect it to be. I just didn't think I'd be spending as much on servos as I did on one entire vehicle!
Old 01-30-2004, 09:27 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by doesgo
What's wrong with the 625 and 645 servos in 1/8 racing? Too slow? Too weak?

I'm having servo-envy right now. I've got a Savage that just toasted its 645MG, a new Storm SUT, a new Storm buggy, and I'm putting together an RC10GT. I plan to race the buggy, SUT, and GT this summer on a large local off-road track. The problem is everyone tells me to go crazy with the servos, don't skimp, etc., but man, they're expensive! I mean, one steering servo alone isn't bad, but if I need a $100 servo for the steering in each vehicle...that's adding up mighty fast.

I know, racing isn't cheap, and I didn't expect it to be. I just didn't think I'd be spending as much on servos as I did on one entire vehicle!
in the monster trucks and buggy u need like a airtronic 358 200 oz @.10 i can get by with less tho.....the hitec 954 is a good servo... u may want to try it but the hitec 625 645 is good for brakes
Old 01-30-2004, 11:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The problems with the 625/645...You found one. It blew up on you. They are a little slower and weaker than you would want for racing. It might be ok for throttle/brake but I wouldn't count on it in a 1/8. That is the place where most people burn up servos. Most seem to have good luck with the Hitec 925/945 but I think you can buy a comparable Futaba or KO for that price too.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the information, guys. I guess I'll buy a good Airtronics or Futaba to replace the dead Hitec and run the others I already have on hand and replace them one-by-one as needed.
Old 01-30-2004, 06:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

I personally think the hyper 7 pcr rtr is the best value for a rtr. I would personally save your money a while longer and just get a mbx5 or a k2. Over the course of time it will save you money.
Old 01-30-2004, 06:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

For a beginner getting into the class...do they realyl need to save up for an MBX5 or a K2...I mean...really???

You're saying K2....but the K3 is coming out..so the K2 won't be a top level race buggy any more? so everyone will say hold off and get the K3...

Get what you can afford...and for getting started..it's likely to be an RTR...when the time comes that your driving has advanced to the point were the RTR kits limitations hold you back, then you can justify the big bucks on a race-level rig...

By the time that happens though there will be an MBX5 'works' or a K3.5....

I've heard good reports on the Hyper 7 PCR, PRP Swift and GS Storm...the PRP And the GS come with good FM radios...the Hyper comes with a starter box...

The XTM and Hot Bodies buggies are also supposedly decent offerings for RTR.

Trust me..the buggy WON'T be your limiting factor for quite a while.

The best is always nice...but do a reality check..do you need a Ferrari to try to learn to drive and get your license...no...you'd just end up blowing out the tranny and/or wrecking it....learn on something sensible and step up to the big leagues when you're ready
Old 01-30-2004, 08:21 PM
Tech Master

The K3 is already out.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

Holy cow, Windsorguy, that was an awesome post! I couldn't agree more.

I'm just getting into racing this year and I'm all uptight and concerned about 200 in/oz servos and stuff, but I don't really even know if I'll enjoy it! Well, I know I will, but I certainly don't have the ability to outdrive my servos yet, and when that finally happens, I'll make changes accordingly.

Thanks for putting into perspective.
Old 01-30-2004, 11:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by Windsorguy99
For a beginner getting into the class...do they realyl need to save up for an MBX5 or a K2...I mean...really???

You're saying K2....but the K3 is coming out..so the K2 won't be a top level race buggy any more? so everyone will say hold off and get the K3...

Get what you can afford...and for getting started..it's likely to be an RTR...when the time comes that your driving has advanced to the point were the RTR kits limitations hold you back, then you can justify the big bucks on a race-level rig...

By the time that happens though there will be an MBX5 'works' or a K3.5....

I've heard good reports on the Hyper 7 PCR, PRP Swift and GS Storm...the PRP And the GS come with good FM radios...the Hyper comes with a starter box...

The XTM and Hot Bodies buggies are also supposedly decent offerings for RTR.

Trust me..the buggy WON'T be your limiting factor for quite a while.

The best is always nice...but do a reality check..do you need a Ferrari to try to learn to drive and get your license...no...you'd just end up blowing out the tranny and/or wrecking it....learn on something sensible and step up to the big leagues when you're ready
I couldn't agree with that post less. Obviously you havn't been around 1/8th scale buggies or 1/8th scale buggy racing for a while (or at all?).

To start off, yes the K3 is out, but, there is still people running the original kanai, because it suits there driving style better or because it is a overall better car (not that they can't afford it), I've heard of alot of people not liking the kanai, basically cause its not a inferno, its not as heavy so it doesn't drive well.

Second, if this guy plans on racing AT ALL he will quickly find out that most RTR's no matter how they are advertised won't be competitive or durable enough to race. I started out with a Ofna Hyper 7 PBS and quickly realized what a waste of money it was, its not just the big things like shocks and such, its the smaller things that you quickly notice are poorly designed and not sufficient. For example, the Hyper 7 uses the same clutch and engine mounts as the lower ofna buggies, and they are completley horendous.

I drive a MBX5, and the difference in drivability and durability is HUGE, literally changed the way I raced. Also, I don't think a MBX5 works will be out, there really isn't much to change, unless you wanna go with 4 mm shocks, lol. You can setup an MBX5 for farely cheap, maybe 800 for the whole setup, which is probably what you would spend to make any rtr buggy even worth bringing to the track (I did).

Ryan
Old 01-31-2004, 07:34 AM
Tech Champion

Yes I know thw k3 is already out. Im no trying to start a argument, But I think your crazy to buy a k3 if you already have a k2. The only big differnce is the rear shocks are a little bit longer, and the chassis is lighter. I was not saying to buy a new k2 or mbx5, but you can get a used one in good shape with motor and exhuast for a good price. Probaly right around his price range. I have a k2 and I have no plans of getting a k3, Just not that much different in the two. I agree with Gped0124, I have seen so many people buy the rtr's because they are cheaper and wind up selling them and buying a mugen or Kyosho. All Im saying is if you plan on racing, At the least I would get the hyper 7 pcr rtr, If not get a used muen or kyosho. And what do you mean the k2 isnt going to be a cant win anywhere buggy. I tell you what contact me at the end of the 2004 season and I'll let you know how many races I won

Last edited by tony montana; 01-31-2004 at 07:51 AM.
Old 01-31-2004, 10:44 AM
Tech Champion

Go to the wanted to buy forum and look under 1/8 buggy (I think) , A guy is selling a k2 with a rb engine, digital servo's, body, reciver pack for 675.00

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.