Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overhaul old RC10T or buy new?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 04:10 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Overhaul old RC10T or buy new?

Its been a while since I've messed around with RC, but I've been thinking about getting back in for some time. Can't stay away from RC, but its been about 8-10 years and its calling me back.

I have an old nostalgic RC10T. Not too beat up, and it fired up today pretty good for not being used in 4 years. BUT, the electronics were shaky and the steering is gone. Battery was dead, so I picked up a DTX 42000 today and a new Onyx 100 charger.

Not sure how much it would take to settle the steering, maybe a new servo, maybe re-build the box. But DAMN...so much new stuff on the market.

If I already have a 2 channel radio, a charger and I think a good battery....what would be a good route to go ? Upgrade the truck or get something new?

Can I find something for less than $300 and get rolling?
Old 08-23-2009, 04:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 92 (98%+)
Arrow Short course

Get a Traxxas Slash, Associated sc10 or an hpi Blitz (when it comes out in a month), all of them are rtr and the short course class has blown up over night. I have only driven an SC truck a few times and they r so much fun. also, there is usually always a stock class to race so it evens out the playing field! Good luck and that my 2cents
Old 08-23-2009, 04:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 92 (98%+)
Thumbs up not expensive either

And by the way all of them are around 200 bucks!!
Old 08-23-2009, 04:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Cool

I have a RC10T that i was rebuilding just 2 have it nice(mayb sell in future), but not 2 race since its so old and hard 2 find parts, plus with 2days lipo and brushless, tech out, i think if u put brushless or lipo in it would wear th tranny out pretty quick!!!!
Old 08-23-2009, 05:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I rebuilt mine about 2 years ago from the ground up. The only orgional parts are the shock bodies and shafts, shock towers and chassis. Everything else is 100% new either from a NIB that I parted out from ebay, or RPM.

With no electronics, the restored roller cost just over $300. To me it was worth it because I bought the truck new 18 years ago.

You can buy a new RC10 T4 for $179.

How much do you feel like spending - is that cost worth it to you?

Though I am happy with what I did, I can easly have saved over $100. Though I can be competitive, parts availability it very tough and its not getting easier.

I just use it in the yard for my own enjoyment and leave the newer trucks for the track.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

My advice is buy a new one.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:16 PM
Tech Rookie

Hit a few of the forums out there and it seems like the Blitz and Slash are killing it in terms of hype. Not sure if they have the ground clearance i need to get around my yard. i hate it when the truck gets bogged in like 3" of grass. maybe i need something with 4WD?

Thanks for those who responded. I dropped $50 on the battery and I think $40 on the charger. Have to chip in and support the local shop. Now all i need is a truck with radio.

There is tons for me to catch up on out there. What I want is all terrain capable and top end speed. If I can stack an extra battery in there and make it fly, all the better.

One last question.. Is there any chart out there that shows the top speeds for these trucks ( in 1/10 and 1/16) as they come stock?
Old 08-23-2009, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

I guess it depends on what you want to do and what you want to spend. For bashing in the yard and not a lot, get a stamped, the have a brushless version, get another pack and you will be set. If you wanted to spend more, you could get an emax, but then you would need 2 battereis at one time.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

If you just want to bash, just get some new electronics and have fun with the vintage RC10T. If you want to race, thats a different story, get something a little newer in that case.