kyosho rb5 wtf?

Old 08-20-2009, 10:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default kyosho rb5 wtf?

Ok guys I am a little confused here. First they released the rb5 then the rb5 sp. Now was the sp first released without velvet shocks and then later with them? I have seen models claiming to be an sp with the silver shocks when I thought all sp's came with the brownish velvet shocks?

Can someone please explain to me the evolution of this car and perhaps some model numbers as I am real confused which one to get. Also a recommendation on which one to get would be nice. Are the silver shocks the same as the brownish ones?
Old 08-20-2009, 10:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

The SP only has velvet shocks i beleive. If it still has the silver ones, its not an SP
Old 08-20-2009, 10:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

yes All the SP's have the velvet coated shocks. And the reason behind the SP is it has all the improvements the regular dont have. Different rearend, Shocks, steering parts and so forth. Hope this helps some.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

And go with the SP not the regular one. Since the Sp has all the updates and velvet shocks.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

There are a couple things that need to be clarified first. There is an rb5 and a rb5 sp. If you just say sp, many will think you are talking about the zx5 sp.

As for velvet shocks, if you are referring to the rb5 sp, it has always come with velvet shocks. If it has silver shocks, it didn't start life as an sp.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

here you go..

Ultima RB5 SP
Part #: 30074SP-B

Ultima RB5
Part #: 30074B

The SP, has the velvet shock, as well as other updates like.. longer rear arms, rear arm mounts, and transmission housing, lower profile rear shock, revised rear hubs. orange front shock springs

Basically, the SP, is the same as the regular, with velvet shocks, and the rear end change.

The current RB5 drivers have been changing the rear end up, with a mid conversion, and the lower shock tower, and such.

so, the SP, is basically the same thing the factory guys run, all in one box.

The silver shock bodies are still one of the best shocks out there.. the new velvet coated ones are designed to be smoother because of the coating.. but the silver ones are just as awesome.. my RB5 has the silver ones on it still..

Here is the info from the Kyosho website..

RB5 SP New Features

Long Rear Suspension Arms - The RB5 SP features rear suspension arms that are 2mm longer than the arms used on the original buggy, which are the same arms that are standard on rear of the Lazer ZX-5 FS. The longer arms, combined with other changes made to the rear suspension, give the SP better and more consistent traction through the corners and better bump handing, especially on high-bite tracks.

Rear Suspension Mounts and Transmission Housing - The lower rear suspension mounts on the chassis are revised to accommodate the longer suspension arms. The IFMAR legal maximum width is maintained by moving the suspension mounts 2mm towards the center of the chassis. The transmission housing is also modified to fit the new suspension mounts.

Low Profile Rear Shock Tower - Reducing the height of the rear shock tower slightly lowers the center of gravity, which improves cornering ability, and by reducing the height of the shock tower in relation to the wing and wing mount, it offers addition protection against crash damage.
V
elvet Coated Shocks - The already legendary Kyosho

Hard Rod Ends - The rod ends feature a new, stronger material that is more durable and resists contamination from dirt. This means that the rod ends stay tighter and are less likely to be damaged or separate from the ball stud in the event of a hard crash.

Revised Rear Hubs - Factory drivers have determined that only one of the hinge pin holes was ever used in the original RB5 wheel hubs, so the extra hole was eliminated for the new SP Edition. Combined with a new, more durable material, these hubs are not only much stronger, they're also lighter and the new geometry produces more stable handling characteristics

Chrome Moly Turnbuckle Linkage - Use of a stronger material means the new turnbuckles can be made lighter and stronger than the original steel turnbuckles. The new turnbuckles feature a 3mm square adjuster, which further reduces weight.

Orange Front Shock Springs - The kit now includes the popular orange front shock springs, which produce better suspension action over the bumps and more precise steering control in the corners.

Chiseled lines combine with smooth, flowing sections to create a body that is not only attractive and boldly styled, it also provides greater down-force in combination with a larger rear wing for increased traction and greater high-speed stability.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:03 AM
Tech Elite

Awesome thanks for that guys and a special thankyou to daniel. I know that kyosho are constantly changing and updating their cars more than my beloved ae. This makes a lot more sense of it all and will aid my purchase. Can you guys recommend any additional parts I may need? Springs etc to run the latest team setups? I am going to buy arms, front and rear towers etc, is there anything else that is prone to breakage?
Old 08-21-2009, 03:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 141 (100%+)

welcome to the dark side my friend!

now we know why your selling your b4

dont forget......support your LHS

on a serious note, PM me if you wanna do a deal.....swap
Old 08-21-2009, 03:33 AM
Dan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

I recommend ordering hte 54mm long shafts for the rear shocks, seems to be what most of the team drivers are running. Order some 3/32 carbide diff balls for your diff build too. Some guys like to order the aluminum arm mounts for the rear and the machined aluminum motor plate but thats up to you.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:39 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I recommend ordering hte 54mm long shafts for the rear shocks, seems to be what most of the team drivers are running. Order some 3/32 carbide diff balls for your diff build too. Some guys like to order the aluminum arm mounts for the rear and the machined aluminum motor plate but thats up to you.
Ah so the sp kit still has the steel diff balls?
Old 08-21-2009, 03:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lookieaefanboi View Post
Can you guys recommend any additional parts I may need? Springs etc to run the latest team setups? I am going to buy arms, front and rear towers etc, is there anything else that is prone to breakage?
Things I've broken so far, front bulkhead (I've got brass ones available if anybody is interested... heaps of rear towers, rear chassis plate. I'd recommend the alloy rear hinge pin holders UMW511 and UMW512, the delrin gearbox idler UMW513. I've also bent a couple of front axles Haven't broken any rear hubs or upper bulkheads but have stripped threads from them...

I'd stick with the 12mm hex wheel fitting rather than run the Proline axle conversion as it offers more leeway for adjustment of rear width.

If you're buying up....get a few different spring options to play with too...oh and the SP motor plate is little more durable too....UMW509

If you want to pick up a new SP kit straight away -
http://www.formularc.com.au/
Old 08-21-2009, 04:05 AM
Tech Elite

Now your stalking me as well paul
Old 08-21-2009, 04:21 AM
Dan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Ah so the sp kit still has the steel diff balls?
Yeah, I put some AE carbide diff balls for my build.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Now your stalking me as well paul
Wouldn't call it stalking....I just call it researching RB threads

Think you'll like the RB5 though, very abusable in regards to driving and the occasional mishap!