Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hex drivers

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 07:39 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Hex drivers

Has anybody heard of SKYA tools? it seems to be an RC helicopter brand in China. They have a hex driver set pretty cheap and I was wondering the quality?

Also my LHS told me I can use the integy SAE hex set on my Kyosho RB5 SP because the difference in Metric to SAE is so minute. Is this true? can I use SAE hex drivers on my metric screws?

I need to decide if im buying the cheap Metric drivers from china or the $30 integy SAE set.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-19-2009, 08:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Good tools are very important!

Integy also makes their hex drivers in metric.... I wouldn't buy a SAE set if you have a metric car. The only size that is nearly identical in SAE and Metric is the 5/64" is the same as 2mm. This is the main hex screw on a Kyosho 1/10th scale. The other size you will need is a 2.5mm. The main cap screw size and motor screw.

SAE cars like Losi and Associated use more screw sizes...

Bottom line is get what you need!

Jerome
Old 08-19-2009, 08:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

no I don't think that using SAE on Metric is a good idea
that is why they make to two different ones come on now
and if that is what your LHS said I would find a new one
cheap is cheap you get what you pay for get the best that
you can afford save up if you have to you will not regret it
for me I like HUDY tools buy once not twice
Old 08-19-2009, 08:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Like said above the only metric that matches is 5/64" - 2mm.

I bought a set of integy's a long time ago. Dont remember how much they were but it came with all the sae and metric sizes that i needed in one set.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I learned the hard way to not buy cheap tools. I had bought Dynamite nut drivers, but they were too fat to get in the rim to remove the wheel nut on my T4. I got Associated Nut Drivers and they work awesome!!
If you use metric on standard or standard on metric the hardware and tools will wear out really fast, and you would also be an absolute moron to do that!
Spend money on tools!!!!!!! You should only have to buy them once!
Old 08-19-2009, 08:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I bought MIP Thorps because they are the best you can buy. You have a good car, buy good tools to go with it.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i bought the integy set and it is much better than their rc parts
Old 08-20-2009, 09:33 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Chimer
I learned the hard way to not buy cheap tools. I had bought Dynamite nut drivers, but they were too fat to get in the rim to remove the wheel nut on my T4. I got Associated Nut Drivers and they work awesome!!
that doesnt mean they were cheap. cheap tools have crappy handles or inferior assembly/finish or poor design. i wouldnt call that poor design, though, just b/c it didnt fit one particular wheel nut.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:37 AM
Tech Initiate

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Lombax
Also my LHS told me I can use the integy SAE hex set on my Kyosho RB5 SP because the difference in Metric to SAE is so minute. Is this true? can I use SAE hex drivers on my metric screws?

Any thoughts?
that's all you need to now about that guy if he really believes that. i'd use SAE on metric in an emergency, but only then. you'll round out the insides pretty fast and screw up the tool too.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:50 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

the difference IS minimal.....and in MOST cases you'd be fine to use either/or.....but, if there's a tight bolt that you need to loosen or vice versa....then you can EASILY round on the wrong size hex...especially if you use ball drivers.

now, me personally, i bought dynamite and e-flite hex drivers...and they worked great. Then i started getting more into racing instead of just bashing...and i bought a set of Losi pro wrenches...metric, sae, and nut drivers in sae and metric...and man what a difference! i did get annoyed at how the drivers go up and down in size though...so i bought a set of EDS metrics since i use them the most..and i got the ball tip in them. Then i moved on to screw drivers and arm reamers...went all hudy. Still looking for a body reamer i like....

what i'm getting at...is not all tools are the same. they might be of the same quality...but handle material, bit lenght, ball or machiened tip...it's all different per manufacture. I used a lot of them, and mixed and matched to make the set i have now, and i'll NEVER have to buy a new set again now! good tools make any job more enjoyable, as long as you enjoy the tool. so try some out, and when you're ready to get GOOD ones....do it. but any of the cheap $25 sets will work until you find the right ones.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:26 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by GSRswapandslow
the difference IS minimal.....and in MOST cases you'd be fine to use either/or.....
I beg to differ here. I am a mechanic by trade and selecting the RIGHT wrench is important. Most metric and standard sizes are not close enough to use either/or without causing damage to the wrench or bolt/screw. Like said above in most rc apps the only one that is close enough that there is no problem using either/or is the 5/64 and 2mm.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lombax
Has anybody heard of SKYA tools? it seems to be an RC helicopter brand in China. They have a hex driver set pretty cheap and I was wondering the quality?

I need to decide if im buying the cheap Metric drivers from china or the $30 integy SAE set.

Any thoughts?
Just make sure you make the guy who told you that pay for all the new screws you will need when you strip out the heads. what an idiot.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default SAE/Metric

I have to say they have 2 different names for a reason. Yes the difference is so small that you could get away using SAE on Metric... BUT not for long. Like in other posts ... you will sooner or later round out the screw...then you will be freaking out cause you cant get it out without alot of hassel & possiable damage... Buy both, I use the Integy set myself...cost me 35.00 for both that came in a set
Old 08-20-2009, 02:32 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RcRacing4Ever
.....Yes the difference is so small.....
In some sizes the difference is not small at all.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CClay1282
I beg to differ here. I am a mechanic by trade and selecting the RIGHT wrench is important. Most metric and standard sizes are not close enough to use either/or without causing damage to the wrench or bolt/screw. Like said above in most rc apps the only one that is close enough that there is no problem using either/or is the 5/64 and 2mm.
great...i was for 6 years as well, then i spent the last 4 being a mech-e........the scale that we work on with rc's is small enough that the difference IS minimal. I openly interchange both metric and sae tools to whatever is within reach at the time of need.

and being a mechanic doesn't mean CRAP when it comes to rc's. the smallet bolt you ever deal with, that's not a screw on the interior, is generally an 8mm for any kind of import.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.