Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
New to rc electric offroad >

New to rc electric offroad

New to rc electric offroad

Old 08-18-2009, 06:15 PM
Tech Rookie

Post New to rc electric offroad

Hi, I am new too the hobby I am thinking about getting a brushless buggy/truggy/stadium truck not sure what everyone would recommend? What tool in general would you suggest I get for this hobby? Are all brushless motors able to take a higher voltage. Like example I was looking at traxxas rustler vxl it comes with 7.2 ,but able to handle 11.1 to get max runtime/speed with doing that is there any long term damage to motor by doing this? Any other info. you would think that would be helpful to me also? Thanks
Old 08-18-2009, 06:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ssgtbhammer View Post
Hi, I am new too the hobby I am thinking about getting a brushless buggy/truggy/stadium truck not sure what everyone would recommend? What tool in general would you suggest I get for this hobby? Are all brushless motors able to take a higher voltage. Like example I was looking at traxxas rustler vxl it comes with 7.2 ,but able to handle 11.1 to get max runtime/speed with doing that is there any long term damage to motor by doing this? Any other info. you would think that would be helpful to me also? Thanks
a rustler vxl is a great choice because it is durable and the 3s lipo or 11.1 volts wont do anything to the motor it is a great car
Old 08-18-2009, 07:03 PM
JSR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Depends on what you're looking to do with the RC. Here's my synopsis for the various types:

buggy - the smallest of the 3 types of you listed and also the lightest. Extremely agile and quick. I'd recommend 4WD, but I'm a fan of 4WD over 2WD. Ground clearance is pretty low so you'll be relegated to smooth dirt areas and tracks. They can be durable depending what buggy you choose. On BL power though, you'll likely break more than when they were stock brushed electric.

stadium truck - more difficult to drive, especially with brushless power because it's only 2WD. You can learn to drive them well, but 4WD will be easier to drive and learn. They have longer suspension arms and shocks for more suspension travel relative to a buggy. They also have more ground clearance. Durability is quite good.

truggy (4WD ST) - a stadium truck that's 4WD. Purists will say it's not a truggy unless it has a center diff (i.e. a Thunder Tiger Sparrowhawk wouldn't be a truggy because it has no center diff, but it's 4WD). Don't worry about classifications. They will handle better and be easier to drive than 2WD STs. Dimensions and ground clearance about the same as a 2WD ST. Durability the same as STs.

Both 2WD STs and truggies/4WD STs will be able to run in a bit more areas than a buggy. Buggies will struggle going over the grass at my local parks. Even the STs and truggies struggle a bit, but the additional GC helps.

For brushless setups, the generic sweetspot for a BL motor is 30-40k rpm. Use enough voltage to spin the motor to within that range. The smaller BL motors, as used on most 1/10 scale stuff, primarly the buggies and 2WD STs, can be spun higher without problems (about 50k rpm, which is what a VXL runs on 3s 11.1V). The higher the rpm, the more current the motor will pull and the more heat will be generated. The ESC and batteries need to be able to support the current demand. To figure out what rpm it will spin at, take the "kV" rating and multiply by the voltage (i.e. 3300kV * 11.1v = 36630rpm).

My personal preference is a 4WD truggy/ST. I don't run on the track all the time and like the ability to run in other areas.

This is all assuming you want 1/10 scale.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:15 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks JSR you helped me narrow it down too ST/Truggy.Thanks for helping me on calculation for battery compatabily to a BL motor also. Any hints on tools I should get for this hobby?

Last edited by ssgtbhammer; 08-18-2009 at 07:41 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:27 PM
JSR
Tech Master

Tools depend somewhat on the truck you get. Some use philips screws while others use hex screws. Some use metric, some SAE. I have a collection of tools from my various tool kits and bought a few. I also have some sockets and ratchets I use for nuts.

More universal stuff...

- Infrared temp gun - really handy to tell how well your setup is running.
- Blue loctite - things WILL fall out
- Digital Volt/Multi-Meter (DMM) - helps to measure voltage of batteries and check their charge and condition
- Bearing lube - lube hour motor bearings and truck bearings
- Soldering iron (40W min), solder (flux core), and flux paste
- Deans (or similar) high current connectors - you'll want to change your connections to these
- Spare wire (12ga is a good all-around...more than you'll need for a 1/10. 14ga will work too)
- Spare bullet connectors (4mm are good for 1/10, though I use 3.5mm with no problems)
- Thin and Thick tire glue (CA glue)
- Zip ties!
- Velcro
- Shock oil
- Diff oil

um, that's all I can think of for now.

I have a Kyosho DBX that I converted to brushless and it's amazing to drive. Very fast, very fun, agile.
For something that doesn't need a conversion, I really like the TTR Sparrowhawk. $200 at AMain. Ooh, it's tempting me. If you want suggestions for brushless setups, let me know.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:40 AM
Tech Rookie

Yes I would like suggestion on brushless setups please. Thank you
Old 08-19-2009, 05:34 AM
Tech Adept

Here's most of the stuff that was just mentioned in one spot, you'll also need a good charger that's capable of charging LiPos:
http://www.overdriverc.com/proddetail.php?prod=PXTPE1
http://www.overdriverc.com/proddetail.php?prod=PAAPT42
http://www.overdriverc.com/proddetail.php?prod=SPY-PLUS
http://www.overdriverc.com/proddetail.php?prod=K%2BS910
http://www.overdriverc.com/proddetail.php?prod=WSD1300
http://www.overdriverc.com/proddetail.php?prod=WSD1410
http://www.overdriverc.com/proddetail.php?prod=LOSA7881
http://www.overdriverc.com/proddetail.php?prod=LOSA7880
http://www.overdriverc.com/proddetail.php?prod=LOSA5240
http://www.overdriverc.com/products.php?cat=189
http://www.overdriverc.com/proddetai...VNR0657&cat=49
Hope this helps.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

for brushless i would suggest a castle creations mamba max, sidewinder or a mamba monster if you are gong to 1/8 scale
Old 08-20-2009, 06:49 PM
JSR
Tech Master

Mamba Monster (aka MMM) is too much for a normal size 1/10. Would be good for a large 1/10 (i.e. E-Savage) and made for 1/8.
Mamba Max (aka MM) is not worth it with the MM Pro coming out.
MM Pro would be awesome on a 1/10 (about $130).
Sidewinder is not big enough for 1/8, fine for normal size 1/10.

I'm not sure if you want sensored or sensorless. I run sensorless and am fine with it. My setups are smooth once it gets rolling. Sensored setups tend to cost a bit more and if you're not racing and don't care about smoothness below 1mph, the additional costs outweigh the advantages IMO. Others may think otherwise.

I like the Hobbywing setups. They're low cost, well made, and perform very well. They're also very easy to program with the program card (no computer required like with Castle ESCs). The Hobbywing EZRun 60A ESC works great and runs about $60. Another option is the Hobbycity 100A ESC (looks like it's made by Hobbywing) for just over $70.

For a 4WD truggy like the TTR Sparrowhawk, any of the following would work great and be pretty low cost:

1. Hobbywing EZRun 60A with EZRun 3300kV 13.5T motor on 3s
2. Hobbycity 100A ESC with same motor
3. CC Sidewinder ESC with 4600kV motor on 2s or 3s
4. Traxxas VXL ESC with VXL 3500kV motor on 3s

The Sidewinder would pull more current on 3s and run hotter. Between the 3, I'd run either 1 or 2. I have an EZRun 60A ESC with Medusa 3300kV motor in my DBX and damn it rips! You can swap any of the ESCs and motors above with any other one.

The MM Pro is a very nice setup. Basically about the same size as the normal MM, but supposedly can handle current with less heat (has a fan that mounts on top whereas the MM didn't) and can run sensored motors if you ever go that route. It costs more than any of the above setups. The MM Pro alone costs more than options 1 and 2.

You can run 4s if you'd like, but IMO is not needed for a 1/10, even a 4WD truggy/ST.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:20 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Great Tips!

Thanks all for the great tips!
JSR - your explanations are excellent. Thanks!
I'm a newbie also and just picked up 2 older Rustlers on
eBay. Just cutting my teeth n them now.

In your description of types of cars is very helpful,
bu I didn't see the SC trucks like the Slash.
Where does this fit in compared to the others?
Old 01-16-2010, 12:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

the slash is a completely different animal in my opinion. it is 2wd. can be a little squirrely but is very durable. it is a fairly competive racer. I race against the sc10 and a few hpi blitzes and beat them sometimes and get beaten sometimes. our track is only stock racing though. I have not fiddled with anything more than shock oil though. Pretty decent little truck and very affordable as an rtr.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ssgtbhammer View Post
Are you bashing or racing? 1/10 is fun, but you may consider 1/8 - they are a blast to drive and will be better to handle a rougher off-road surface.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:06 PM
Tech Regular

check to see what most people at your local track are racing. sc, truggy,buugy.2wh 4wh etc. find something in your price range that afew people run. that way you have someone to help you out with diffrent ques. and set up help. if you plan on racing its good to find a popular class to run in!