SC10 Diff Shims

Old 08-17-2009, 07:16 PM
Tech Adept

Default SC10 Diff Shims

How many have NOT had to shim their SC10 diffs with extra shims? Should someone with a new SC10 kit install the shims right away?
Old 08-17-2009, 07:27 PM
Tech Rookie

I didn't have to install them on my second rtr, it was a newer kit with the Bullydog body. It didnt even come with the shims. I did have to install them on my first rtr with the Luca Oil body.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:29 PM
Tech Adept

Hmm...maybe the shims were factory installed in your newer rtr.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I ran my truck for the first time last weekend. My kit didn't include the extra shims. About 5 minutes into practice it started clicking and making all kinds of weird noises. The on-site hobby shop didn't have the Associated shims, but they had some Traxxas ones that fit. After I installed them (and missed the 2nd round of qualifications), the noise went away. I would put them on if you got 'em.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

i to have had to install the shims in my rtr. and it seemed to me that after installing the shims it seemed to have lost some of the top end or explosiveness when close to 3/4 throttle. i used to be able to pull the trigger at 3/4 throttle and you could see the truck pull even more somewhat like it was about to hit 2nd gear or something. has anyone else noticed any performance loss after the shims?
Old 08-17-2009, 07:55 PM
Tech Adept

i never put any extra shimms in my kit, it was one of the first released. i did make the dogbones tighter against the cups so it added more pressure to them and the diff so it made better contact. then i added the cvd and fuel tubing to the cups again and still no issues after 4 months of racing with a brushless motor.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

After I scrubbed my tires on concrete/pavement for the first time, I took my SC10 truck to my local track.

After about the second lap, my diff started to make the dreaded clicking noise.

I shimmed it with some off-size shims at the time, as some of the other SC10 owners at my track informed me to do so to mesh the planetary gears more tightly...

The noise went away after that, and a whole day of fun with the truck without the clicking ever coming back...

They also told me that I should contact AE. I contacted AE last Thursday, and they sent an extra set of shims to me right away (I received it today!)

I need to pull out the off-size shims I used (it's the larger shims from the TC3 transmission shim set) and I need to replace it with the ones AE sent me...

I think AE screwed up on the tolerance issues due to the fact that once the truck is driven, the shims deform and the diff gears gives a bit, enough to make the mesh too loose to cause it to click.

However, AE set things straight by sending me the much-needed shims, I applaud them for such a great support. No manufacturer is perfect, but the ones that stands by their product with support gets my business (I'm a huge AE fan because they've pulled through time and time again).

I'm going to shim it three of those shims per side. The guys at my track told me that the diff will seem a bit tight at first, but will eventually break into a proper mesh once you drive it for a bit...

My SC10 is a kit version, one of the first few lots (I got it right when it came out).

Other then that, this little truck is a blast to drive!!!

Extra shim it, and forget about it...