R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-24-2004, 07:21 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Arrow RPM valved shock pistons

Has anyone had a chance to evaluate the RPM valved shock pistons? I did a search and came up with all nitro stuff. I was wondering what you all thought of them, if you used them.

thanks,
tim
timmay70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 08:13 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 156 (100%+)

What are you using them in? Personally the stock pistons are more than good to use in any vehicle. On most setups if your racing they use the stock pistons, and you may be off with your setup if you use a different brand of pistons, but its all preferance and up to u.
Old 01-30-2004, 03:57 PM   #3
Tech Master

Default nobody?

Nobody has actually tried these out?
Old 01-31-2004, 07:08 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic

They did an artical in an RC car action magazine. don't know which year or month though.
Scrubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 12:20 PM   #5
DEH
Tech Initiate

Default Yep

I'm assuming you are talking about the 2 piece bypass piston. I just tried them the other day on my XXX-4. They worked pretty good. I tried the lighter dampening versions and really should have used the heavier ones, but my lhs was out. Seems like a sound idea. I can tell they do what they are supposed to. The rebound rate is much faster than the dampened up stroke. And thats without the spring attached.

I'm going to try the heavier versions and I'll let ya know how they work.

D
DEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 11:19 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I put a set in my 1/10 electric dirt oval truck and saw an immediate improvement-much easier to move up or down in mid corner and overall better control and response.This is on a hard packed dirt-no clay,no blue groove-scaly surface that's a little rough-small ripply bumps.I have spent a lot more to get a lot less with other products.
DrOlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 10:09 AM   #7
Tech Master

I am thinking that in theory, it would allow the use of a lighter spring because the damping on reboud would be lighter. I was hoping to find a solution to our track that is now frozen solid (indoor), that would allow me to run a little heavier oil, but maintain good damping over the rutty stuff and keep the buggy from bottoming out as hard on the big jumps. The idea was to go heavier on the oil and bigger on the valve hole.

I was attempting to use them in my Yok, but the id is just a smidge too small, and they won't fit. I do have some hard anodized shocks on my RPM Stealth converted RC10 that have been recently rebuilt that I will try to transplant.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:28 AM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I had to turn them down about .005" to get them in my shocks(Traxxas big bores).I just put the piston on an M3 screw with a locknut and chucked it in my drill and turned them down with a sharp chisel-a file works fine too.It worked out well because I got a better fit than the stock pistons.I also took a little off of the bottom of the piston to get more gap on the downstroke.Watch that they don't hang up on the top e-clip.I put Asssociated clips on the top and had no problems but the clip might need to be filed down a little on the O.D.It really didn't take that long and was well worth the effort.
DrOlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 07:39 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to SocalSnakeEyes

I run the duel stage pistons in the front of my Pede. They work will for that.
SocalSnakeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 08:04 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to SocalSnakeEyes

I run the duel stage pistons in the front of my Pede. They work will for that.
SocalSnakeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 08:55 PM   #11
Tech Rookie

I run them in my xxx I'm useing the med/heavy stock oil wieght much better handling
BUMPERCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 05:54 AM   #12
Tech Adept

I've used these thing for years.....

First off.... They are designed oversize, so they can be hand fit to a variety of shock bodies. No problem there, just be aware of it before buying. Of course you need to have good attention to detail to sand them to the same size.... Very important.

They only work well in certain situations. If the track is smooth, high bite, I don't like them. Even with low bite, if the track is freshly groomed, and not very bumpy, I stay away.

When they really seem to shine is bumpy, rutty tracks. The faster rebound lets the wheels drop down between bumps to keep some contact with the surface. On tracks that have deteriorated a bit they work quite well. Some tracks that develop nasty bumps and ripples in the braking and acceleration zones are where you really want to try these. If you race at a track that runs 1/8 scale as well as 1/10, and the track goes to hell as the day progresses, these may very well save you at the end of the day.

Since I only really use them when traction is low, I've only really used the light ones. If you speak Associated ...... I offer this:
The blue pistons are a little less pack than #2's, the whites are a little less pack than #1's.
Bodido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 03:47 PM   #13
Tech Master

Default bravo

This is the kind of info I knew was out there. Thanks.

I was thinking of a valve that opened wider but had a much faster closure would be cool to try out. I am devising ways to test these theories out. I am thinking that the amount of time that it takes the valve to open and close causes a dead spot on the smoother tracks.

Thing is that I will never really have to worry about our track getting too smooth. After a full nights racing, the mains come along and all the trucks have been on the track and dug whoops in the corners and halfway down the straight. I think my car/truck are good candidates for this treatment. (I also speak associated).