losi 8 Diffs

Old 08-14-2009, 05:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default losi 8 Diffs

Ok Guys and gals I finally got my drive shaft to stay in place. now lets see if i cant screw that up. I now realized i need to rebuild my diffs. or at least replace fluid.

Im running the Losi 8 1.0 with the castle mmm and 2200kv motor out of the savage flux with a 4s Hyperion lipo. what fluids should i use in the diffs.

I have seen 5x5x5 and 7x5x2

how does running a thicker rear and thinner front affect the buggy drive??

Im used to running 10th electric and dont know the 1/8 very well.

Thanks for any and all imput.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I like 3-5-2 in my nitro buggy, but I love offpower stering. 552 or 553 is a good starting point. For the rear diff thicker gives more front line traction, but if you go too thick (say 4k) it will have a bad understter problem in tight turns and the rear end will slide out if you push it. Thinner center diff oil (1-2) has more steering, but it can be a little hard to drive at times.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:53 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Since you're running electric you probably wont want to go any thinner than 7 in the center. Any thinner and the front wheels will unload possibly cooking your front diff. something like 5-7-2would probably be a good starting point. I'm running 7-15-3 in my losi 8ight-Te. 3 or 2 for the rear would be fine, depending on how much oversteer you're looking for.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:16 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)

My experence 10 years say's go 5-5-2 , electric is way too much power for 1/8 scale buggy. So you want to tame things down. I run 5-5-1.. Back end stay's poot on power. Try it you'll like it! You will have good control of all that power! If it's still a hand full go to 4 in the front! CHRIS_RC is right on for nitro with that easy drive dif setup! If your on a high traction track then go stiffer... all the tracks I drive get real loose. When traction comes on you can give it a handfull of throttle and control the output so much better!
Old 08-14-2009, 07:21 PM
Tech Adept

With a 2200 kv cc/neu on 4s i think with too thin of center diff oil it will unload the front tires pretty bad and possibly cook the oil. Thicker center diff fluid will make the power more manageable with a bit of throttle control.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:40 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by EvilDylan View Post
With a 2200 kv cc/neu on 4s i think with too thin of center diff oil it will unload the front tires pretty bad and possibly cook the oil. Thicker center diff fluid will make the power more manageable with a bit of throttle control.
Nope.. change the oil more often....
Old 08-14-2009, 07:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EvilDylan View Post
I tend to agree. I started with the stock 7-5-3 but went up to tame it a bit
I now run 7-10-5
Old 08-14-2009, 08:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by XXXDad View Post
My experence 10 years say's go 5-5-2 , electric is way too much power for 1/8 scale buggy. So you want to tame things down. I run 5-5-1.. Back end stay's poot on power. Try it you'll like it! You will have good control of all that power! If it's still a hand full go to 4 in the front! CHRIS_RC is right on for nitro with that easy drive dif setup! If your on a high traction track then go stiffer... all the tracks I drive get real loose. When traction comes on you can give it a handfull of throttle and control the output so much better!
I tried 5-5-1, and it had great steering and decent traction, but for some reason I couldnt drive worth a shit with 1 in the rear. So I went up 1 in the rear and it is alot easier to drive. The track I run on is hardpack with a loose top.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:05 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by XXXDad View Post
Nope.. change the oil more often....
How would changing the oil keep the front diff from unloading? It's not a question of whether or not the oil is any good, its whether or not the oil can handle the amount of torque that a big motor like a ccneu 2200kv can put out. Selecting the proper diff oils for a brushless motor is not quite the same as a nitro motor or a 10 year old brushed motor.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I run 6/4/1200. My front doesnt unload or do anything strange. My lap times are just as fast as anyones at my local track and my car is very easy to drive. Just a suggestion, dont knock something untill you try it.

I have my power limited to 75% on the radio so I doubt Im making all that more power than a nitro, we are about even on the straights. I think that with the plastic spur gear the center diff fluid doesnt get as hot and thinout as with a metal one. I ran the same on my nitro 8 2.0.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:49 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by infanterene View Post
I run 6/4/1200. My front doesnt unload or do anything strange. My lap times are just as fast as anyones at my local track and my car is very easy to drive. Just a suggestion, dont knock something untill you try it.

I have my power limited to 75% on the radio so I doubt Im making all that more power than a nitro, we are about even on the straights. I think that with the plastic spur gear the center diff fluid doesnt get as hot and thinout as with a metal one. I ran the same on my nitro 8 2.0.
I'm a good driver but infanterene is 2-3 sec. a lap quicker than me....
I'm still working on my setup..... I use the Drake 2.0 E set-up... with 1000 in the rear for now. We will see if I just dont go back to the 2000 the Drake uses. Drake set-up 5-5-2.... Or try the infante special next round!
Old 08-16-2009, 03:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

I feel your pain! I am new to 1/8 scale this year myself. I used a stock 5-5-2 setup on my 2.0E buggy but switched to 5-7-2 and it made it drive more like a 1/10 scale. Going up a little thicker in the middle made the car rotate more on power. Everyone has their own setup but I like this one so far. Hope this helps...........
Old 08-16-2009, 05:42 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by infanterene View Post

I did try it and I didn't like it.

As the above poster said thicker center fluid made the car rotate more on power which is what I like. If you're limiting your throttle then that could be why you aren't unloading. power is limited.
Old 05-23-2015, 10:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Does anyone know if I can use a center diff from a losi 8e 3.0 in a losi 8e 2.0
Old 05-25-2015, 05:05 AM
dtr
Tech Master

Yes, the diffs are the same.