Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
What's the right way to check engine temp? >

What's the right way to check engine temp?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's the right way to check engine temp?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 09:29 AM
Tech Initiate

Default What's the right way to check engine temp?

I recently purchased a GS Strom Pro that has been fully assembled & just barely broken in. I am new to Nitro RC & have been doing as much reading as possible. It has a RB Concept 1003-S7 engine & it came with an infrared temp gun. When do you check the temperature for tuning purposes. Do I check it at idle, at higher RPM's while running on a stand or something, or do I check it after coming back from ripping around at various RPM's (typical use). I ask this because at idle it seems to run quite a bit cooler than when I check it immediately after ripping around and driving it up to me and checking it while it continues to run. After it idles for a few seconds it seems to continue to quickly cool down. I've seen readings as hot as 240 or so but it quickly cools to under 200 as it idles. I think I need to keep it in the 200-230 range but at what RPM range, is this a max temperature range? Help, any info you can add would be much appreciated, thanks, Mike.

P.S. On a less important sidenote, anyone know how to quiet down this thing when I want to start it up or run it in the neighborhood, it's got a Omega Efra 069 pipe on it.
Old 01-23-2004, 09:33 AM
Tech Initiate

Checking the temp is not really used for tuning, as many people do it for. Its basically to check in TEMP SPIKES.. But to answer your question you should read the temp after a few high speed runs.. just bring car back to you once youve done a few high speed runs.. Also make sure you let the engine come up to temps before doing high speed runs..
Old 01-27-2004, 03:38 PM
Tech Addict

The temp gun is a very good tool when it comes to tuning. I temp my buggy after 3 or 4 laps around the track. So I am shure that it is warmed up. I will adjust my carb from the temp readings. My engine runs well between 230-240 degrees farenhight. I get this reading at the glow plug. Not at the top edge of the head it seems to be more consistant. Be shure that your air filter is clean before making any carb adjustments. Your enginge/temp gun will most likely give different readings than mine. What you want to do is note the temp when you feel your car is idling/running well. Then try to keep the engine running at that heat range. Hope this helps, Neil