Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
23rd Annual EASTERN STATES CHALLENGE at Vineland >

23rd Annual EASTERN STATES CHALLENGE at Vineland

23rd Annual EASTERN STATES CHALLENGE at Vineland

Old 08-12-2009, 07:57 AM
Tech Initiate

Default 23rd Annual EASTERN STATES CHALLENGE at Vineland

Family Hobbies Raceway (a.k.a. Vineland) in Vineland, NJ will be holding their 23rd Eastern States Challenge during Labor Day weekend....Sept. 5th & 6th.

2wd mod, 4wd mod, mod truck, gas truck, and Slash runs on Sat. the 5th.
1/8 electric buggy/truggy, nitro 1/8 buggy/truggy, and monster truck runs on Sun. the 6th.
Practice is from 8am to 10am, both mornings. Races start as soon as possible after 10am as soon as the heats are set up.

1st class = $25. 2nd class = $20. 3rd class and any class after 3 = $10.

I'm trying to get some hype going for the electric crowd....1/10 scale turnouts have taken a hit in the northeast with the 1/8 craze, but I know many people still have them! I hope everyone brings out their electric 1/10's and 1/8's for this dialed race!!! The layout works perfectly for both 1/10 and 1/8.

For those who don't know, here's a quick background on Vineland....it's one of the longest running (and still going) tracks in the US. This is THE track where the 1st ever ROAR 1/10 Offroad Nats in 1984 were held, won by Jay Halsey with the debut of the RC10. It's also where the 1st and last Trinity Offroad Shootouts were held. Opening day this season saw 220 entries! Vineland is hands down one of the premier tracks on the East Coast....for both the quality of the track, and the race program!! There's an on-site hobby shop stocked with plenty of tires, parts etc. The pit area is covered with long tents/tarps. The drivers stand IS wheelchair accessable!

The website is familyhobbiesraceway.com (always updated). Although the track on the opening page is not the current layout. There's also a thread in the racing section for Family Hobbies Raceway in general. If you want to get a pre-race warm-up, they run every Saturday, practice from 10am - 11:30am, racing starts at Noon! (sorry, no practice during the week)

I'll post tire / setup info shortly....
Old 08-15-2009, 11:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Looks like it will be nice event
Old 08-16-2009, 07:14 AM
Tech Initiate

No doubt!

As for tires....JConcepts green Double Dees or Pro-Line M3 Holeshots are always the safest rear tire choice (2wd, 4wd, truck).
Front tires vary depending on your driving style, but generally any ribbed front tire is hooking up....most of the AE guys are running Groovies on the B4, Carvers on the T4, and Double Dees or red Blockheads on the B44.....maybe a Losi guy can chime in with what they're running, it's usually different than what works on the AE cars.

As for 1/8, I've found that when the track is wet, JC yellow Crowbars are hooked up, when it dries and there's little to no dust in the groove, JC yellow Sevens are on rails! Others are also running AKA, Pro-line, or Losi tires, so a lot of small to medium pin tires hook up in 1/8.

This is the track....on the far left side is a chicane entering the straight....got cut off in the pic.
Attached Thumbnails 23rd Annual EASTERN STATES CHALLENGE at Vineland-3378684864_d63dcd5c4a_b.jpg  
Old 08-16-2009, 08:41 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Electric 1/8th video from Family Hobbies (aka; Vineland)
Old 08-16-2009, 04:56 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

As an electric racer, I've also noticed the decline in electric off road in this area. The ironic thing is since the intro of LiPo and brushless to the hobby things are easier and in some aspects less costly than before. So everybody get their cars and get to the track for the EASTERN STATES CHALLENGE!!!
Old 08-18-2009, 02:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I'll be there. This race is the best.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:36 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

I've got the stick-on trophy plaque from my Eastern States Challenge trophy that I got in 1987. Looks like the track grew a little since then, also got harder (blue groove setup), the old dirt was way better.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
I've got the stick-on trophy plaque from my Eastern States Challenge trophy that I got in 1987. Looks like the track grew a little since then, also got harder (blue groove setup), the old dirt was way better.
If you havn't been there in 22 years how do you know the old dirt is better?

i'm just saying
Old 08-18-2009, 09:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I'll be there along with a few others from RCHR in CT.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:36 AM
Tech Initiate

In that video the track was heavily sprayed with coke syrup (mixture of rc cola and water) to get that blue groove. In the begining of the season we were spraying it a lot for traction, but everyone likes the track without it b/c of better tire wear, and the bite is still good without it. Now the syrup is only used a little before the triple, before the big double in the back, and the turn entering the chicane.....this is how I anticipate the syrup will be used at the Eastern States, so tire wear will be good.