Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Hotbodies Ve8 Thread >

Hotbodies Ve8 Thread

Hotbodies Ve8 Thread

Reply

Old 08-12-2009, 06:35 AM
  #1  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
iTrader: (59)
 
joelwhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,857
Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)
Default Hotbodies Ve8 Thread

An all new entry to electric 8th scale. Looks like a contender.

http://www.hotbodiesonline.com/kit.p...=67535&lang=en

Last edited by BuckMan; 07-06-2011 at 09:56 AM.
joelwhite is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:12 AM
  #2  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (4)
 
KHoff7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,166
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Looks good to me.
KHoff7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 03:22 PM
  #3  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (19)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Erie Pa.
Posts: 3,323
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

What i want to know is will I be able to convert my D8E to that easily?????? I want to run that chassis.
malik is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 04:40 PM
  #4  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (170)
 
pink_sleeve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Planet Melmac
Posts: 4,503
Trader Rating: 170 (99%+)
Default

Originally Posted by malik View Post
What i want to know is will I be able to convert my D8E to that easily?????? I want to run that chassis.
You need over 20 parts to convert it over. It would be cheaper just to buy one.
pink_sleeve is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 05:02 PM
  #5  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (12)
 
badassrevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Roaming Shores, Ohio
Posts: 3,324
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Looks cool. I want to try the body on my Caster.
badassrevo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 05:04 PM
  #6  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (110)
 
tschenck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Willow Spring NC
Posts: 2,726
Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by badassrevo View Post
Looks cool. I want to try the body on my Caster.
I was thinking the body might be good for my hyper 9. It looks very narrow and might solve the problem of no mudguards.
tschenck is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 05:34 PM
  #7  
Tech Master
iTrader: (18)
 
sharkman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,072
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

Alright, riddle me this. It appears to only have a 2 or 3 cell lipo in the pics on the site. Most people use atleast 4 or 5 cell packs. I have also tried to find packs that are 140mm or less, hard to find.

I really don't get having motor and battery on one side of the chassis?????

I was intrigued at first until looking at the pics.
sharkman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:20 PM
  #8  
JSR
Tech Master
iTrader: (18)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,044
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

Most people run 3s or 4s on buggy. 5s is too much for a buggy, IMO. Of course there are arguments for improved efficiency with higher voltage due to lower current consumption, but higher voltage also means more torque with brushless lower kV motors, which for a lightweight buggy, can make it difficult to control. Even on a truggy, a low kV 5s setup will easily lift the front tires losing all steering. There's ways to mitigate that on the track with throttle control, alteration of the throttle curve, and what not, but still too much torque IMO.

I like the way it looks...looks really well made. I hope they come out with a D8Te equivalent, especially considering they already have a brushless combo that would work perfect on it.
JSR is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:26 PM
  #9  
Tech Master
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,850
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by sharkman View Post
Alright, riddle me this. It appears to only have a 2 or 3 cell lipo in the pics on the site. Most people use atleast 4 or 5 cell packs. I have also tried to find packs that are 140mm or less, hard to find.

I really don't get having motor and battery on one side of the chassis?????

I was intrigued at first until looking at the pics.
Yeah, bummer about the chassis being limited to 140mm long batteries.
Stealth_RT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:43 PM
  #10  
Tech Master
iTrader: (2)
 
littlejohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,464
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by JSR View Post
Most people run 3s or 4s on buggy. 5s is too much for a buggy, IMO. ......., but higher voltage also means more torque with brushless lower kV motors, which for a lightweight buggy, can make it difficult to control. Even on a truggy, a low kV 5s setup will easily lift the front tires losing all steering. There's ways to mitigate that on the track with throttle control, alteration of the throttle curve, and what not, but still too much torque IMO.
.
Not entirely true... If you gear for the same speeds then it should come out about the same. 1/8-E does have lots of torque on tap no matter how you dice it. Infact, brushless/lipo electric has lots of torque no matter what scale.

A good way of taming that torque is with a slipper. 1/10 has them and you can get the RCM sliperential for 1/8
littlejohn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:02 PM
  #11  
JSR
Tech Master
iTrader: (18)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,044
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

As I said, there are ways to mitigate the high torque, but lower kV motors do make more torque. That is a characteristic of brushless (and electric) motors and one that is used to adapt electric motors for various applications. There are those that want as much power as possible and higher voltage with lower kV will accomplish that as the latest low kV BL motors are capable of nearly the same top rpms as high kV motors. The additional torque allows for more gearing options. But by design, they make more torque.
JSR is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:15 PM
  #12  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (14)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,145
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

I would really like to hear the logic of putting the battery on the motor on the same side because it makes absolutely no sense to me. It seems like they were just tryng to be different for the sake of being different. The balance has to be terrible and there are about 3 packs that would fit in it, non of which are more than 4c. From my understanding the best way to avoid heat problems is to run a 4 or 5c with a lower KV motor. I know some guys even run 6c in a buggy. I was looking forward to seeing the car because i do think the plastic is a step in the right direction.
DG Designs is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:32 PM
  #13  
JSR
Tech Master
iTrader: (18)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,044
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

It looks like they wanted to keep all the other electronics on one side. We won't know the overall balance of the buggy until someone drives it. They may have achieved a decent balance, but I agree, so far, it does not looking balanced left-to-right.
Considering the weight of a 1/8 buggy, there's no reason to run more than 4s. With a proper setup, heat will not be an issue on 4s or even 3s in a 1/8 buggy. The weight is low, the wheels/tires are small and light, so there isn't much load on the motor. And 4pole brushless motors make a LOT of torque. Run 6s with the proper voltage to drive the motor at its prime efficiency point in a buggy and you will have no control. It will be insanely fast, but the front tires won't touch the ground unless you feather the throttle all the way to full throttle.
A Savage Flux that weighs nearly twice that of a 1/8 buggy will lift the front tires at full throttle pulls on 4s. That's a much heavier truck with larger load components (wheels/tires) and 4s on a BL setup is still overpowering that truck. I see no problem making the battery tray fit 3s and 4s to accomodate for fitment. There really is no need to run higher voltage, which equates to more torque. That's like driving a Rover Mini with a LS7 stuffed in there. Uncontrollable. Fun for bashing and running around, but ultimately slow at the track because the torque can't be controlled.
JSR is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:46 PM
  #14  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (24)
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Springfield Mo
Posts: 472
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

I agree on the side to side weight bias being out of wack but I cant possibly see this car being released without going through some serious testing before being released. I will wait to see one run before spending my money on it. I do like the fact that unlike the losi e-buggy that electronics you dont want are not forced on you.
Turbo900rr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:36 PM
  #15  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (53)
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Belleville, MI
Posts: 4,518
Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by JSR View Post
It looks like they wanted to keep all the other electronics on one side. We won't know the overall balance of the buggy until someone drives it. They may have achieved a decent balance, but I agree, so far, it does not looking balanced left-to-right.
Considering the weight of a 1/8 buggy, there's no reason to run more than 4s. With a proper setup, heat will not be an issue on 4s or even 3s in a 1/8 buggy. The weight is low, the wheels/tires are small and light, so there isn't much load on the motor. And 4pole brushless motors make a LOT of torque. Run 6s with the proper voltage to drive the motor at its prime efficiency point in a buggy and you will have no control. It will be insanely fast, but the front tires won't touch the ground unless you feather the throttle all the way to full throttle.
A Savage Flux that weighs nearly twice that of a 1/8 buggy will lift the front tires at full throttle pulls on 4s. That's a much heavier truck with larger load components (wheels/tires) and 4s on a BL setup is still overpowering that truck. I see no problem making the battery tray fit 3s and 4s to accomodate for fitment. There really is no need to run higher voltage, which equates to more torque. That's like driving a Rover Mini with a LS7 stuffed in there. Uncontrollable. Fun for bashing and running around, but ultimately slow at the track because the torque can't be controlled.
just wondering do you own a 5s or 6s car with a proper lower kv motor to fit the application? I've switch from 4s 2200kv to 5s 1700kv in my truggy and the only difference I've notice was better efficiency/operating temps. its not "crazy uncontrollable torque" like you've described in fact 2200kv on 5s was more of a handful then the 1700kv.
nv529 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service