Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which SC10 parts break commonly?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 12:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Questions?? Which SC10 parts break commonly?

I have to decide on a "Pit Box Crash Kit" of parts for my SC10, because my LHS doesn't carry parts and if I break on a race day I am pretty much done. So to prevent this I wanted to know from experienced drives of this car what parts are best to stock up on.

Secondly, I see there are a lot of Aluminum hop up parts available for the SC10. Are any of them "must haves"? I am about to upgrade to a BL system (CC MM 5700) and I know that the truck will be under added stress and will undoubtedly break more than before.

Please let me know what you all think please.

-Hsier
Old 08-12-2009, 12:28 AM
Tech Initiate

The SC10 has to be one of the best cars I have ever driven. The only part i have broken was a front arm from going pinned down the backstretch and a pipe breaking right in front of me. also have seen alot of motors and ESC burn up lately from Associated's RTR line so be careful with that. other than that not really anything.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Doing an RPM front GT2 arm swap isn't necessary but it it is a fantastic upgrade. A set of MIP CVDs in the rear end is also a plus.

Otherwise, keep an eye on your rear wheels, those have really been the only critically weak link in the truck thus far. The keyway slot in the center gets tweaked and eventually strips out. You can fill the holes next to them with epoxy or CA to beef them up, and supposedly the rear wheels are currently being revised to solve the issue
Old 08-12-2009, 02:18 AM
Tech Adept

the only part i broke was the left front arm after i landed on a 1/8 scale buggy, but i did the rpm upgrade and i am very happy with it, practically bulletproof. and the rear wheels did strip out on mine as well, AE did upgrade the rear wheels, i got a new pair, but haven't mounted them yet, keep ya posted.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

front arms keep breaking,but thats a t4 thing,get the gt2 RPM arms,i am....and i keep destroying rear wheel bearings,2 sets in 3 months of racing and practise,nothing left but the bearing races,so im going for the gt2 rear hubs,bigger outer bearing...other than that,rear tyres...really cool truck,awesome hadling
Old 08-12-2009, 07:54 AM
Tech Regular

has anyone tried strc new aluminum axle carriers or steering blocks?
Old 08-12-2009, 08:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Peli
front arms keep breaking,but thats a t4 thing,get the gt2 RPM arms,i am....and i keep destroying rear wheel bearings,2 sets in 3 months of racing and practise,nothing left but the bearing races,so im going for the gt2 rear hubs,bigger outer bearing...other than that,rear tyres...really cool truck,awesome hadling
Don't get the gt2 carriers. The t4 axles aren't long enough to fit into the outdrive with the gt2 carriers. You would need the gt2 arms, but the shock mounts are in a different spot so it keeps the rear end sitting much higher.

Get the b44 rear hub carriers, they have the gt2 outer bearings in the outside and inside. Replace all the stock bearings with something better like acer, boca, or even red sealed dynamite bearings.

Go with the gt2 frpm front arms and the metal brace for the front of the chassis. The chassis tends to break on the front when you land nose first. Do these upgrades and the others listed above and you should have a really strong truck.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ae rat
has anyone tried strc new aluminum axle carriers or steering blocks?
Usually the metal suspension peices are for looks. They don't offer any performance upgrade but they do add "unsprung" weight to the suspension. Unsprung weight makes the rest of the truck work harder.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Carefull of the wheels issue. I sniped some small pieces of aluminum to fill the openings in the wheels and glued them in place........no issues. Some people have used 4mm set screws to fill that gap too just thread them in and you're good to go.
Blowing out a wheel really sucks!!!!!!
Old 08-12-2009, 11:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

I've broken a front arm, rear arm, front bulkhead, steering bellcrank part, and I stripped out the rear wheels.

The broken parts are because things like bricks and pails jumped out in front of me. The rear wheels are because I locktited them on and then had to remove them. I didn't want them working off because that's how they strip out, but the locktite was too much when I tried to take them off by holding the tires and undoing the nut. I did reconfigure them and then JB Weld them back into the original shape and still use them with my MM5700 combo on pavement without issue. My nest set will be JBed before use.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I bought a kit(I know I'm weird) and installed GT2 front arms and a Cuda chassis brace from the get go. No issues.

Rear wheels, lots of fixes that shouldn't be necessary, Associated needs to fix the wheels.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

The only aluminum upgrade that I can think of is the front hinge pin brace. The pastic one usually gives out after a couple of hard side ways landings.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PhilDz
the only part i broke was the left front arm after i landed on a 1/8 scale buggy, but i did the rpm upgrade and i am very happy with it, practically bulletproof. and the rear wheels did strip out on mine as well, AE did upgrade the rear wheels, i got a new pair, but haven't mounted them yet, keep ya posted.
Phil,

Do you have a part number for the upgraded wheels? I ordered a new set of the stock tires mounted on stock wheels from associated. I think my LHS will have them in today. I'm wondering if I got the upgraded wheels, or the originals.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:01 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Have lots of extra front arms and maybe a few rears, extra pins and screws for the arms, a set of 30 degree castors, and a of the T4 Titanium turnbuckle kit. Then your good to go.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:25 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Wease
Phil,

Do you have a part number for the upgraded wheels? I ordered a new set of the stock tires mounted on stock wheels from associated. I think my LHS will have them in today. I'm wondering if I got the upgraded wheels, or the originals.
not sure, but i believe they're the same part number. how can i describe them? the old ones have larger spaces, kind of triangular, and the new ones have less space, kind of half circle spaces, hope this helps, would've taken a pic but don't have my dig cam handy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.