Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What kind of Rc car is good for a beginner besides slash and sc10

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 03:03 PM
Tech Adept

Default What kind of Rc car is good for a beginner besides slash and sc10

my brothers friend is looking for a rc car but isnt for sure what to get. he was looking at a 1/16 e revo but that thing is fast but puny so can i get some help
Old 08-10-2009, 04:18 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Leroy1234p
my brothers friend is looking for a rc car but isnt for sure what to get. he was looking at a 1/16 e revo but that thing is fast but puny so can i get some help
If you are talking about beginner racing, then I would say Slash, Associated T4, Losi XXX-T, or the upcoming Losi Strike. I would not recommend an SC10 for beginners.

If you are talking about just "bashing" and having fun in the yard then I would recommend a Slash, Strike, Rustler, Stampede, Summit, etc. The 1/16 Traxxas vehicles seem okay, but they are real fast.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:30 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Of the ones that have been listed, go with one that you can easily get parts for and is raced at your local track if not just for bashing. Also consider what third party parts are available for it. RPM makes durable plastic parts for some of those listed which may be a must. I've been told SC10 hub carriers or steering knuckles break easily but the RPM ones do not. Stay away from using aluminum parts in places likely to see an impact. Metal tends to bend rather than break so it can be difficult to find the damage once your vehicle starts handling differently. Aluminum is acceptable for the steering system, shocks, and shock towers.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:38 PM
Tech Initiate

Short and simple....rustler its durable its faster than the slash and its water proof.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:09 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ktraxxas430
Short and simple....rustler its durable its faster than the slash and its water proof.
+10
Old 08-10-2009, 06:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

rustler vxl is a great beginner car
Old 08-10-2009, 07:17 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Racing or not racing. Electric 10th scale truck... the T4 over the Rustler is an easy choice. Short course has become very popular while 10th scale truck and buggy are still on the decline (I'm kinda sad about it cause 10th scale truck will run circles around the short course) So if your planning on racing I hate to say it but go with a short course Traxxas, Associated, or Losi.

If bashing go with what suites your needs and makes you happy. The 1/16th slash is an absolute blast to drive. Quicker than its big brother and 4wd too.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Leroy1234p
if he plans on racing then determine what scale he will need to participate, the 1/10 truck (t4,xxxt) does seem to have smaller numbers then slash or open corr racing on club racing days.a buggy would be good to get.will you race or bash.whats the price range.kit or rtr.check your local hobby store and find what brands they carry.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

RC 10 B4 evryone has one and the parts a dime a dozon. i have one for sale make me an offer.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by brushlessmgt8.0
RC 10 B4 evryone has one and the parts a dime a dozon. i have one for sale make me an offer.
pics??
Old 08-11-2009, 08:34 AM
Tech Master

I would a stampede for racing/bashing. I have raced mine several times in stock truck and it's very competitve. Our track is hard packed dirt with a lot of loose dirt on top and a lot jumps including two pretty big jumps. The 1/10th trucks get bounced around a little bit by the jumps and the stampede just tears them up. Use the new pro-line 30 series bow-ties and your ready to roll. Plus there is so much aftermarket support for these that it's ridiculous.

If you want a strictly basher than I say a tamiya clodbuster or traxxas summit. The clodbuster just looks badass and you can upgrade it as you go to make it do anything you want. They float so you can drive them across a pond if you want.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:42 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Anything Tamiya 4WD. If he's a beginner, he'll appreciate 4WD, even if its just bashing.