Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Brushless RC8 e-conversion >

Brushless RC8 e-conversion

Brushless RC8 e-conversion

Old 08-08-2009, 02:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default Brushless RC8 e-conversion

I'm thinking about converting my Rc8 into electric. I don't know a while lot about what everyone is running so I thought I would ask here. What is a good esc/motor combo, conversion kit for this buggy? I'm not a total hardcore racer so I don't need the latest and greatest stuff but something that is reliable. Also what cell lipo should I run, 4s-6s.
Any help would be great. Sorry if this has been asked already.

Last edited by ollie 45; 08-08-2009 at 03:09 PM. Reason: changed title
Old 08-08-2009, 03:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

The castle creation 2200kv motor and esc combo have proven to the the winning choice fast and built like a tank! AE a has conversion kit out but your very limited on battery choices due to the odd battery tray size (50mm x 143mm). I would recommend the RC Product Designs conversion kit in my option they are by far the best kit on the market and its 100% made in the USA!

MY old RC8 before I switched to Hot bodies.

Old 08-08-2009, 04:28 PM
Tech Adept

There are so many good systems out there to convert nitro to electric. I run the RC8 with the Associated conversion kit, with two Reedy 7.4 35c 5000 packs, and the Tekin RX8 2050kv. The conversion is a perfect fit and very little is needed to drop it in... simply remove the fuel line holder on the stone guard. The Tekin is a little expensive but is a very adjustable system, allowing very smooth throttle response. I'd recommend a 46/18 spur/pinion combo... I'm just as fast as the high end .21 engines on the straights and quicker in the twisty bits. Also, if you go with the Tekin you might want to get the Tekin Hot Wire... unlimited adjustments to fine tune the ESC to suit your needs.

DJ

Old 08-08-2009, 04:51 PM
Tech Addict

thanks for the input guys.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:39 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Is there an AE RC8 kit that contains nitro parts and e-conversion parts?

At a hobby people store I saw a RC8 nitro box with a AE created page glued to the outside of the box saying an e-conversion kit was included for a limited time. The price was $499. Electronics, nitro motor and blocks were not included. The sales clerk was unsure if the kit could be used easily for both nitro and electric use. Is this the best way to get a RC8e Buggy and still have an easy time converting to the nitro version? Thanks!
Old 08-08-2009, 07:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Get the RC8B kit and convert it to electric. That way you get all the latest goodies on the car and have the best handling version possible.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tired Racer View Post
At a hobby people store I saw a RC8 nitro box with a AE created page glued to the outside of the box saying an e-conversion kit was included for a limited time. The price was $499. Electronics, nitro motor and blocks were not included. The sales clerk was unsure if the kit could be used easily for both nitro and electric use. Is this the best way to get a RC8e Buggy and still have an easy time converting to the nitro version? Thanks!
I have the same buggy. It does not come with any of the nitro parts, says so on the paper glued to the box. The chassis is the same, but you'd need the nitro servo tray, brake parts, linkages, radio box, plus the other obvious stuff. If I had to do it again I would've got a nitro and converted, having the parts would increase the value if I decided to sell.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:02 PM
Tech Addict

My problem, if you want to call it a problem, is that I already have a brand new, never run, RC8. My wife got it for me for Christmas. I just haven't had the time or money to race it yet. Around my area nitro is always run on Sundays and I have to work every Sunday. So I want to convert it to electric and run it on Saturdays with the boys. Thanks for the ideas guys.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

What other speedos are good? How's the losi electronics? What is the best #cells for a batt compared to motor size for driveability & reliability?
How are the zippy batts?
ROAR is not a concern either...
Affordability is though.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:04 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I had an RC8Te that I bought awhile back and installed the mmm 2200 combo. Not a nitro conversion, but the electric truggy from associated. The battery tray fit 2 zippy turnigy 3s 5000 mah lipos perfectly. There was plenty of power and on 3s getting out of control is not as much of an issue. With this setup I was able to make 15 minute mains no problem.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Oh ya, does ae have a plastic spur gear or are guys just using the metal gears and how loud are they if so?
Old 08-11-2009, 02:32 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jbrow1 View Post
Oh ya, does ae have a plastic spur gear or are guys just using the metal gears and how loud are they if so?

AE has plastic spur gears you can use. Just check their website. The noise isn't too bad, but then again you are using mod 1 gears so they are bound to be somewhat noisy.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:08 PM
Tech Adept

The latest Associated conversion kits now come with the plastic spurs. My first conversion had the steel gears and they made a lot of noise, I switched to the plastic gears from the second conversion and it is a lot better.

DJ