R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 08-06-2009, 05:10 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default Maxamps Life Battery packs

Hey guys just wondering whether anyone has any experience using these yet? I know they are fairly new and was curious to see the performance against a regular lipo pack. Does the 6.6v of the pack compared to 7.4v for a lipo result in less performance? I am planning on running these in my b4 in stock 17.5t class so if there is a loss in performance because of the voltage then I may have to wait. Any news regarding these packs would be greatly appreciated.
lookieaefanboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:07 AM   #2
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookieaefanboi View Post
Hey guys just wondering whether anyone has any experience using these yet? I know they are fairly new and was curious to see the performance against a regular lipo pack. Does the 6.6v of the pack compared to 7.4v for a lipo result in less performance? I am planning on running these in my b4 in stock 17.5t class so if there is a loss in performance because of the voltage then I may have to wait. Any news regarding these packs would be greatly appreciated.
Though I have not bought one due to the cost - I do run A123 Life batterys and they are similiar in amps available, etc and same 6.6v for 2 cells.

Yes, the voltage will effect top speed. Most people will gear up slightly to account for this.

The benefits to the "LifePo4" chemical structure is that you can abuse the cell and it still will bounce back. No fires, no LVC, etc. And you can charge at 5c on most Life cells.

When you run 1/8th scale, the voltage is not too big of deal cause you can just add another cell.

4s2p A123 giving the go-power
Tomeygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:16 AM   #3
Tech Master

As Tomeygun stated you can gear up a bit, but another thing that helps is to step up to a higher KV motor as well. We have quite a few of our racers running these packs doing either one or the other and the results have been great. Most cases the less voltage is allowing for smoother laps, while the others either loose control or can't hook up the Green Series packs less voltage is allowing our drivers to just flat out run without issue. Just remember these aren't to replace the performance of a Li-Po, more or less another option rather than running a NimH pack.

Jason
www.NitroKillers.com www.MaxAmps.com Caster Driver
JAM MaxAmps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:38 AM   #4
Tech Addict

Yes....what Jason just said is true.....in getting the same performance out of the life packs you have to step up the motor kv to get the speed if you are a racer...(ex: 4600kv to a 7700kv).....or if you keep the same motor you will have to gear up something like nine to ten teeth more.....which in some cases that makes it difficult to do in some vehicles due to space resraints......
the great thing about these batteries is that you can pump 20amps in them and charge them under twenty minutes and keep doing this all day without worries.....

"MICRO RACING FOR LIFE".....SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL TRACKS AND HOBBY SHOPS
Micro-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:00 AM   #5
Tech Master

The main thing to watch is motor temps when gearing up alone. I'm currently running the 2S2P 6.6v 4500 Green series pack in my Slash with a Castle Creations 5700 Mamba System geared at 18/86 and it's simply just plain fun to drive on my test track at home. Can clear my 8 ft. long table top jump with ease and throw dirt all over with the set-up. I actually prefer it to my 6500 7.4 volt Li-Po because that can be to much for the size of my track.

Jason
Old 08-06-2009, 08:00 AM   #6
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

If you run on a slippery track, you could also benefit from the lower voltage there.

I think these packs would definitely be killer in mod class since you can go with whatever motor KV you want. Out here, thats pretty much all we have so these packs are definitely worth a look.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:16 AM   #7
Tech Adept

What about storage volts anybody know ? Store empty, 1/2 full, full?

RC Sailboat, 3RC planes, SC5m, Yuneec Typhoon Quadcopter
speeddaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:25 AM   #8
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
If you run on a slippery track, you could also benefit from the lower voltage there.

I think these packs would definitely be killer in mod class since you can go with whatever motor KV you want. Out here, thats pretty much all we have so these packs are definitely worth a look.
Yes that's pretty much what I was trying to explain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddaddy View Post
What about storage volts anybody know ? Store empty, 1/2 full, full?
Store them just Like a Li-Po. 60% of the packs rated capacity. Not by voltage. The Hyperion chargers have the LiFe store mod option.

Jason
Old 08-06-2009, 01:04 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to y2kgtp Send a message via Yahoo to y2kgtp

I think this is a good step in the right direction in battery technology. However I can't personally justify 120$ for a 4500mah 6.6V pack that has less voltage and double the price than a average 2 cell 7.4v LiPo.

+ the need for a special charger if you can't charge A123's already.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:12 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The price is about 2x what it should be for A123 packs. You can find them elsewhere on eBay at a fair price or build your own with loose cells. There are two types of A123 cells. US-made and China made. If interested in just tinkering, go with the China-made ones. US Made cells are about $15-16 each - so four is about $60. You can use wire or find Hyperion A123 battery bars out there (harder to find). You can find China-made A123 cells as low as $7 or $8 a unit.

A stick pack of A123 will not fit in the battery compartment of a B4 or T4 like a Sub-C stick pack.
jmcvicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 01:15 PM   #11
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kgtp View Post
I think this is a good step in the right direction in battery technology. However I can't personally justify 120$ for a 4500mah 6.6V pack that has less voltage and double the price than a average 2 cell 7.4v LiPo.

+ the need for a special charger if you can't charge A123's already.
That's fine we aren't forcing you to buy anything but can you find another battery that offers things like this:

Up to 15C balance charge rate(67 amps) for quick charging.

1000+ usable cycles.(low cost per cycle)

Inherently safe technology.

Low voltage cutoff is not required.

I would say the cost is justified. Not all packs are for everyone and in most cases today 75% of the chargers sold in the last two years are A123 or Life cell ready.

Jason
Old 08-06-2009, 01:19 PM   #12
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcvicker View Post
The price is about 2x what it should be for A123 packs. You can find them elsewhere on eBay at a fair price or build your own with loose cells. There are two types of A123 cells. US-made and China made. If interested in just tinkering, go with the China-made ones. US Made cells are about $15-16 each - so four is about $60. You can use wire or find Hyperion A123 battery bars out there (harder to find). You can find China-made A123 cells as low as $7 or $8 a unit.

A stick pack of A123 will not fit in the battery compartment of a B4 or T4 like a Sub-C stick pack.
That statement has no bearing here. These are not A123 sub c type cells. These are Life cells in the same shape and format as a Li-Po cell. You can't do a cost comparison between to totally different cell types. Our Flat cells will fit 95% of the battery trays out there with no issues. You can't do that with the A123 cells they are either to long or simply to wide. So no you won't find anything similar to these on e-bay.

Jason
Old 08-06-2009, 01:28 PM   #13
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

I see some packs out there that are LiFE 6.6V in 1/10 scale configuration, but not as high mah rating. Curious, they have them in hardcases, wonder how much room the case is taking and if the case is even necessary? Also, wonder what configuration they are setup as on the inside?
Old 08-06-2009, 01:36 PM   #14
Tech Master

Our 2250 are 2S-6S our 4500's are 2P and the 6750's are 3P packs. Yeah I don't see why they would waste the time with HC packs. In our testing we did dead short test on the tabs, Nail through three fully charged and hooked in series cells while being shorted. Nothing more than puffed cells and smoke. No fire hazard or explosions here. High temp recorded on the cells was 170 degrees during the testing. I see a HC a waste of time. These cells can take abuse. I run three packs in my Slash. Run one pull it out throw it on the charger at 10 amps with no cool down time and they come back off the charger cool to the touch. I have done this time and time again with the Slash only stopping every so often to check motor temps.

Jason
Old 08-06-2009, 01:41 PM   #15
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
I see some packs out there that are LiFE 6.6V in 1/10 scale configuration, but not as high mah rating. Curious, they have them in hardcases, wonder how much room the case is taking and if the case is even necessary? Also, wonder what configuration they are setup as on the inside?
If you are talking about the 6.6v 2200mah hardpack, you are right, mostly casing. That pack is really a 2s2p of the 18650 cell (18mmx65mm)...

TOTALLY different animal than this new flat cell maxamps architecture.

4s2p A123 giving the go-power
Tomeygun is offline   Reply With Quote