Wiki Posts
Search

Jammin SCRT10 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 01:12 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by marksp
Castle's default motor timing setting is 10 degrees. For Novak motors, decrease this to "lowest" which is zero degrees. This is a seperate setting from motor type "Smart Sense Brushless" - default and CHEAT (Timing Boost Amount) - 0 degrees (default).
I am running a MMP/HV5.5 in mine. I have punch control at 30% currently (left over from the 6900kv I tried), custom LiPo cut-off, and custom power/brake curves. I have ran a few packs through it like this and haven't experienced any issues. Should I be looking to turn down the timing as you suggest? Sorry, just a little confused.

SS
Old 02-07-2010, 01:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Racecrafter
Well, in short, with the limited time I had to try all of the different things I wanted to the rear shock/tower mod works good.

It gave the truck a lot of down travel and allowed me to actually use the droop screws to be able to tune with them. They also did a better job of soaking up the large doubles and flat landings.

I ended up with 600 in front with #2 2 hole pistons and 500 in the rear with #2 2hole pistons. White springs all the way around.

I have previously tried taking the sway bar off and didn't really care for it. I tried it again just to try it with this set up and also didn't like it. The front dumps over too much allowing it to "3 wheel" and diff out in the rear making it difficult to stay consistent from corner to corner.

I'm also testing motors on 2s and have found a 550 size that was waaaaayyyy too much power. But with a little speedo programming to tame the power, this motor makes the Novak HV look like a 17.5

Details coming soon.
Sounds good! I would love to hear about that motor.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Ok, made a post a few pages back that my hv 4.5 wouldn't be back in the truck until outdoor season. Weeeellllllll, that was forced to change last night.
The sleeve reducer for my pinions (3mm shaft) wouldn't allow the set screw
to fully clamp to the shaft and I ended up going to the hv to race last night. Tuned the esc down too #1 profile, 20 on punch control, dialed about 15% out of the end points and it was about the same speed as the 4x4 slashes(geared at 11 t). We're running on a 45'x65' dirt track indoors very chopped up and in need of a face lift. ( blown out would be closer) Truck was verygood early, but as things got rougher, I started having nose diving problems. The night ended in the semi when I tapped a tube and broke the steering tie rod. As I looked back, (before reading this thread last night) I felt the front droop was a big part of the nose diving thru the rockers and small jumps. Should of moved the front shocks to the bottom outside hole. I ordered about $100 in parts and didn't realize the #40834 wasn't available. Ended up making the piece out of some carbon fiber I had. The front seems pretty good on smoother surfaces but on the really blown out surfaces not so good. My sc 10 (with losi shocks) handled the same surface far better. I did turn the fastest lap of the night by 1.2 seconds. I can't wait to see this new front mod get figured out and available.... oh and the hv is stayin put!
Old 02-07-2010, 02:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SalmonShark
I am running a MMP/HV5.5 in mine. I have punch control at 30% currently (left over from the 6900kv I tried), custom LiPo cut-off, and custom power/brake curves. I have ran a few packs through it like this and haven't experienced any issues. Should I be looking to turn down the timing as you suggest? Sorry, just a little confused.

SS
Those settings are fine/personal preference. My previous comment was specific to the MMPro default motor timing default which is 10 degrees. Fine for 4-pole motors, but will cause 2-pole motors (HV series, etc.) to generate heat. Maybe not an issue in short qualies, cold winter ambient temps, etc. Generally speaking, 2-pole motors don't like advanced timing. Castle link supports eliminating this by selecting "lowest" (zero) for the "Motor Timing" setting.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Raced mine again last night with my new HV 5.5 on 13 tooth loved it tons of power. Tried unhooking ft sway bar but liked it better hooked up. Finished 1st again
Old 02-07-2010, 02:15 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Kings Kid
Ok, made a post a few pages back that my hv 4.5 wouldn't be back in the truck until outdoor season. Weeeellllllll, that was forced to change last night.
The sleeve reducer for my pinions (3mm shaft) wouldn't allow the set screw
to fully clamp to the shaft and I ended up going to the hv to race last night. Tuned the esc down too #1 profile, 20 on punch control, dialed about 15% out of the end points and it was about the same speed as the 4x4 slashes(geared at 11 t). We're running on a 45'x65' dirt track indoors very chopped up and in need of a face lift. ( blown out would be closer) Truck was verygood early, but as things got rougher, I started having nose diving problems. The night ended in the semi when I tapped a tube and broke the steering tie rod. As I looked back, (before reading this thread last night) I felt the front droop was a big part of the nose diving thru the rockers and small jumps. Should of moved the front shocks to the bottom outside hole. I ordered about $100 in parts and didn't realize the #40834 wasn't available. Ended up making the piece out of some carbon fiber I had. The front seems pretty good on smoother surfaces but on the really blown out surfaces not so good. My sc 10 (with losi shocks) handled the same surface far better. I did turn the fastest lap of the night by 1.2 seconds. I can't wait to see this new front mod get figured out and available.... oh and the hv is stayin put!
That tie rod is one of the weakest links on the truck. They do sell an aluminum version for about $15.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:18 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by marksp
Those settings are fine/personal preference. My previous comment was specific to the MMPro default motor timing default which is 10 degrees. Fine for 4-pole motors, but will cause 2-pole motors (HV series, etc.) to generate heat. Maybe not an issue in short qualies, cold winter ambient temps, etc. Generally speaking, 2-pole motors don't like advanced timing. Castle link supports eliminating this by selecting "lowest" (zero) for the "Motor Timing" setting.
I have been running my HV 4.5 with MMP default timing and it has been running super cool. But you're right, it has been very cold outside here recently, and I am running on a small indoor track to begin with. I will definitely take note of the timing thing if I ever have heat issues. I think I will leave it at default for now though. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 02-07-2010, 05:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I've heard of/seen a few Novak HV motors having the magnets separate from the motor shaft. Best thing to do is, if this happens, is repair it yourself. Clean the motor shaft and inside the magnets really good with some acetone, then get some sleeve retainer grade permatex/loctite. Coat the motor shaft/inside the magnets with it and slide them back together. Try to get the magnets back on the same distance from the back end of the shaft as it was originally. Let it set for a few days before putting it back in the motor. Permatex sleeve retainer loctite has a shear strength of something like 60,000 psi, so I doubt it will fail again. And you'd have to heat up to about 500*F to get it apart again.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Was told to boil the front bumper to prevent it from breaking too easily. Anybody try and for how long? Any other weak spots to warn me about? The only one i've seen up close is driven by a Jammin team member that still runs it the way it came out of the box. Well, + electronics of course!
Old 02-07-2010, 07:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Boil

Originally Posted by ABBOTT
Was told to boil the front bumper to prevent it from breaking too easily. Anybody try and for how long? Any other weak spots to warn me about? The only one i've seen up close is driven by a Jammin team member that still runs it the way it came out of the box. Well, + electronics of course!

Boil it for about 2 1/2 to 3 mins. Did that to mine on my hyper and it is still in one piece.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

When you boil the parts do you put the parts in and then bring to a boil or wait till the water is boiling then put the parts in?

Thanks,

Jon
Old 02-07-2010, 07:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

My SCRT will be here in a few days.

Without reading the whole thread, anyone wanna tell me what parts I should have in my toolbox? Sounds like the front bumper. What, like the whole bumper? or just a certain piece of it. I will have my crt.5 with me as backup to strip parts if needs be. Are all the turnbuckles and rods the same size on both cars?

Any help what needs to be sitting in the toolbox would be awesome to know. Thanks!!
Old 02-07-2010, 07:49 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by markhat250
My SCRT will be here in a few days.

Without reading the whole thread, anyone wanna tell me what parts I should have in my toolbox? Sounds like the front bumper. What, like the whole bumper? or just a certain piece of it. I will have my crt.5 with me as backup to strip parts if needs be. Are all the turnbuckles and rods the same size on both cars?

Any help what needs to be sitting in the toolbox would be awesome to know. Thanks!!
I would keep some steering parts on hand. Like bellcranks/servo saver stuff. If you are going to be using the crt.5 for parts, you should have everything besides the bumper. All links except the steering servo link are the same.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
I would keep some steering parts on hand. Like bellcranks/servo saver stuff.
I'm surprised by this. Are they breaking? Isn't the whole purpose of the servo saver to flex and spare the damage?
Old 02-07-2010, 08:09 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by markhat250
I'm surprised by this. Are they breaking? Isn't the whole purpose of the servo saver to flex and spare the damage?
The point of a servo saver is to (funny) SAVE the SERVO! They are really meant to protect the servo, and they do provide some protection to the rest of the steering assembly. I broke a lower servo saver piece on mine, but I think it may have been defective. The plastic was an odd color/texture, and the replacement is holding up fine. It's just a good idea to have some spares on hand. Also the center steering tie rod/drag link is included in that parts tree, and is known as a weak link. I would recommend the aluminum version of the link. Other than those parts, just the normal things. Might be a good idea to have a set of arms just in case. It's a pretty tough truck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.