Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Jammin SCRT10 Thread >

Jammin SCRT10 Thread

Jammin SCRT10 Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 07:05 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by markhat250 View Post
Once I put in my Neu motor (11xx or 14xx), Mamba Max Pro, nice servo, nice Futaba Rx, in the Jammin, it will be in a completley different league than the RTR Traxxas offering........but it will also be twice the cash $$.

I've just decided I don't want to have the "grass is greener" feelings if I bought a Slash and then saw my buddies SICK Jammin with no compromise electronics. So I'm going SCRT. Nothing against the Slash, cuz at that price point nothing will touch it. I just want the car that is going to be super deluxe, zero compromises.

So now if Jammin would just get their arse moving!! They released that old picture like 2 years ago??? I keeed.

Both cars will rock. One will also rock your wallet......but not leaving you wanting more. You complete me.
This is the best point made I have read so far...for the price the slash 4x4 will be a great buy IMO. I think I am going with the OFNA myself
Old 10-30-2009, 07:07 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This thing looks almost exactly like my BL Jammin truggy, and that makes me very happy! That means it should have plenty of steering, perfect for racing. As for drive systems. I would say buy the system you would anticipate needing for a 4WD buggy on the same track. Even though this truck is substantially heavier, it you can gear down a bit. I didn't know Robinson Racing made Mode 1 pinions that fit 3mm shafts. I never saw them on Amain(where I get my R. pinions from) Do you have a link?
Old 10-30-2009, 07:16 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Jammin and Ofna both need post an estimated street price or they risk losing more sales to Traxxas.

Not many people want to wait when a hot product comes out especially when the cost is unknown and a competitor is presumably hitting the shelves first.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:19 AM
Tech Champion

In one of the other threads, $250ish was mentioned for the race roller. I can't find any specifics, all they really say is that they anticipate a near Thanksgiving release date.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:21 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by SirSpeedy View Post
I understand all vehicles in question, where they are from, based on etc. The center diff in a 1/8th offroad car is huge consumer of energy, but its somewhat necessary given the extremly over-powered nature of the .21 engines we run today.

The current electric 1/8th cars are conveted gas platforms, which are far too heavy for that purpose, and made heavier by the larger motors and dual batteries. If we can win a world championship with a 7.5turn 540-size brushless motor, then a 1/8th vehicle with fiber diff gears, smaller lighter weight gear diffs, normal diameter shocks, - things to make it much lighter - can be competitively powered by a 3.5-4.5T brushless motor, convential sized ESC and a 2 cell lipo.
Tim,
I'm not sure what your experience is with 1/8 electric, but your last two statements go against most of what has been learned from the 1/8 electric innovators over the last few years.

The center diff is pretty important when tuning a 1/8 sized off-road vehicle. If you want to run a slipper instead then you will probably need to add a clutch or have a ESC like the Tekin RX8 that allows for "Push" (opposite if drag brake) to be added to these high torque motors. Otherwise off power turning will be great compromised.

You'd have to make a 5.0 lb 1/8 scale buggy for a 3.5-4.5T motor to successfully power it and even then it would run pretty hot if you go more than 6 minutes and it would only be adequate on a 1/10 scale track. You'd lose most of the strength and quick acceleration of a current 1/8 electric and you wouldn't be jumping much. Basically you'd take away what most 1/8 electric converts really like.

I think the opposite. I'm hoping 1/10 gets heavier and stronger to take advantage of the latest lipo and motor technology while breaking a lot less. Of course my 1/10 track is indoor and very high bite. Thus it allows for high corner speeds on a tight track surrounded by concrete walls and steel poles. When a 1/10 does lose control you are on the way to the parts counter.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:25 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by GO-RIDE.com View Post
Tim,
I'm not sure what your experience is with 1/8 electric, but your last two statements go against most of what has been learned from the 1/8 electric innovators over the last few years.

The center diff is pretty important when tuning a 1/8 sized off-road vehicle. If you want to run a slipper instead then you will probably need to add a clutch or have a ESC like the Tekin RX8 that allows for "Push" (opposite if drag brake) to be added to these high torque motors. Otherwise off power turning will be great compromised.

You'd have to make a 5.0 lb 1/8 scale buggy for a 3.5-4.5T motor to successfully power it and even then it would run pretty hot if you go more than 6 minutes and it would only be adequate on a 1/10 scale track. You'd lose most of the strength and quick acceleration of a current 1/8 electric and you wouldn't be jumping much. Basically you'd take away what most 1/8 electric converts really like.

I think the opposite. I'm hoping 1/10 gets heavier and stronger to take advantage of the latest lipo and motor technology while breaking a lot less. Of course my 1/10 track is indoor and very high bite. Thus it allows for high corner speeds on a tight track surrounded by concrete walls and steel poles. When a 1/10 does lose control you are on the way to the parts counter.
There's a good chance that these two trucks (Hyper and Jammin SCTs) will fit this bill. They appear more durable than a typical 10th scale. We won't know until they're released, but they appear to fit the bill.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:44 AM
Tech Addict

Hey Jammin guys (not sure who's who), was that a 6.5 Ballistic Novak in the YouTube vid?

I'm trying to get a feel for how much power this car "can or will" accept.

I'm doing a Neu motor and want to get the build started, but would love any input first. To me a typical Novak, 540 can, 6.5 Ballistic, would probably do the trick on a nice groomed shorter track (like the one you were on). But what about the slightly loamy, longer 1/8 scale tracks, where your once rocketship power is now seemingly not as fast as you remember it being. Know what I mean?

Also, what pitch is the middle gear? 32 like the Traxxas?

I hope these arn't "spy" type questions. I'm merely trying to get a feel of what motor to buy. I won't hold you responsible I already have a real good idea. Thanks.
I own 2 different electric CRT.5s. One is very stock (shocks, chassis, wheels & tires) and runs decently on a Novak 540 6.5R and 2S. It's fun, but certainly not Mod wheeler fast. For that matter it's more like a 10.5 2wd truck. The motor would run crazy hot if it wasn't attached to a large aluminum motor mount that then is then attached to an aluminum chassis. After a 10 min run a large section of the chassis itself is warm from the heat of the motor and the motor mount is almost hot.

The other electric CRT.5 I have is well oversized. It has 40mm extended chassis, 13mm 1/8 shocks, 1/10 truck tires, larger wing and body. This one runs great on a Mamba Max, Medusa 50mm x 3300kv motor, and 3S. Actually, it's pretty insane. However, the Medusa 50mm motors are waaaaayyyy more powerful than a typical 540 sized motor and for that matter quite a bit more powerfull than the Traxxas VXL 3500 motor.

Now for the big question, how heavy will the new CORR 4x4s be from Jammin and Ofna. Well, if they use all the plastic and drivetrain from the current 1/12 cars, but add a much longer chassis, a lot of bumpers, a much bigger body, and 1/10 truck tires I think they will be about 1 lb heavier than the current 1/12 scale conversion. That's going to require a high quality 6.5 540 motor (like a Novak) to have some fun (think 13.5 in a Slash) and if you want to run with a 1/8 will need a good 3S system.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Personally, I'm not doing your typical 540 can that will be pushed to it's limits.

This SCRT will be heavier than an eCRT.5 for sure. I too owned a eCRT.5, and you hit it on the head....a 6.5 motor in that car feels like a 10.5 after you factor in the weight.

I want my SCRT to be much faster than a 10.5 vibe. I'm optimistic that it can be acheived on 2S, but just going beefier motor (Medusa, Neu, etc).
Old 10-30-2009, 10:06 AM
Tech Champion

I too am concerned about the weight, and would also like to keep this truck on 2S. I already have a 4S powered 8th scale buggy, and a 5S powered truggy. I believe that the CC mamba max running a slightly larger than 10th scale motor on 2S will be more than enough. If I felt I need more, I could go 3S, but I think that might be a bit much for the tires we plan to use.

This is all speculation at this point, we really won't know until we have the truck. However, since you guys have had the other version, you have a unique insight into what we're about to get into. Keep the info coming!
Old 10-30-2009, 10:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

SCRT is claiming 3.5lbs unloaded
Slash is claiming 4.7lbs loaded

So you add roughly:

8.5 oz for LiPo, 6.0 oz for motor , 2.0 oz for Servo, 0.5 oz for Rx

and we're at 1.1 lb

That means the loaded SCRT is only going to be 4.6 lbs? I'm calling BS. The Slash is plastic, the SCRT is aluminum with 3 oil filled difs.

Maybe my info is wrong.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:37 PM
Tech Addict

Personally, I'm not doing your typical 540 can that will be pushed to it's limits.

This SCRT will be heavier than an eCRT.5 for sure. I too owned a eCRT.5, and you hit it on the head....a 6.5 motor in that car feels like a 10.5 after you factor in the weight.

I want my SCRT to be much faster than a 10.5 vibe. I'm optimistic that it can be acheived on 2S, but just going beefier motor (Medusa, Neu, etc).
I've read of others using the Neu 1506 or a Medusa 50x4800 or even 3300 on 2S with good results. It's a real shame the Medusa motors are no longer available. Hopefully someone else will make something similar, or even better, maybe Tekin will make a mid sized sensored motor.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:53 AM
Tech Champion

I started researching possible motor substitutions, since the weight seems like it might cause the typical 10th scale motor run too hot. I found these on Hobbycity. They're slightly larger than 10th scale, have 5 mm shafts(perfect for Mode 1 pinions) and are available in several Kv ratings, from 5900 Kv down to 1100 Kv. They're also under $30, so if I decided I wasn't happy with it, I wouldn't be really ticked off.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...hless_Inrunner

Old 10-31-2009, 07:56 AM
Tech Champion

SCRT is claiming 3.5lbs unloaded
Slash is claiming 4.7lbs loaded

So you add roughly:

8.5 oz for LiPo, 6.0 oz for motor , 2.0 oz for Servo, 0.5 oz for Rx

and we're at 1.1 lb

That means the loaded SCRT is only going to be 4.6 lbs? I'm calling BS. The Slash is plastic, the SCRT is aluminum with 3 oil filled difs.

Maybe my info is wrong.
I'm certain that as soon as these things are in Hobbyist's hands, we'll get all sorts of weigh ins...hehe Be patient, one of our LHS owners is expecting the Hyper to Ship 5 November.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:16 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by R40Victim View Post
I started researching possible motor substitutions, since the weight seems like it might cause the typical 10th scale motor run too hot. I found these on Hobbycity. They're slightly larger than 10th scale, have 5 mm shafts(perfect for Mode 1 pinions) and are available in several Kv ratings, from 5900 Kv down to 1100 Kv. They're also under $30, so if I decided I wasn't happy with it, I wouldn't be really ticked off.

I don't know anything about those motors, but for $30 they are cheap enough to try.

I'm hoping the new version comes with a plastic spur, and Mod 1 would be nice. A plastic 32P with a 3S system probably won't last long.
Old 10-31-2009, 04:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

these trucks will need a good 3s system to run the best, any 2700kv 60mm motor with a good 3s 4000-5000mah 25c+ lipo will work excellent..... ive had 3 different little truggies (2 crt.5s and 1 LS10) these trucks weigh close to or over 6 pounds they need the power.

when running a high kv 540 sensored motor (such as 6.5) you dont have enough gearing options to gear down enough... and youll never get a good running setup. with the above setup i mentioned you can gear however you want (30-50mph didnt matter) and run for 30 minutes straight on the track without any temp problems and all the power you could want.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service