Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Gettin' back into racing, nitro or lipo?? >

Gettin' back into racing, nitro or lipo??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gettin' back into racing, nitro or lipo??

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 09:27 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Gettin' back into racing, nitro or lipo??

I know this is in the electric thread, but I was hoping to get some input on cost, reliability, and honestly, a better racer for competition. has anyone raced lipo vs nitro and what is the result??
I have a number of tracks around me that take both, just want to make the right decision first.
cam
Old 09-11-2009, 10:11 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sharkbait
I know this is in the electric thread, but I was hoping to get some input on cost, reliability, and honestly, a better racer for competition. has anyone raced lipo vs nitro and what is the result??
I have a number of tracks around me that take both, just want to make the right decision first.
cam
all depends what your friends play too, the upfront cost of a ep 1/8 is more. But its faster, less maintence & no noise. I convert mine to ep becoz of i hate dirty nitro & noise.I hate the tuning of engine, changing clutch spring, shoe & checking the engine all the time.

I like plug & play.

I have race ep vs nitro before, the ep is faster & corners better whereas the nitro need to brake & blip all the time.

I got 3rd in a 40min nitro main, change batt once. both are fun but I never regret converting.

I managed to convince 14 more ep racers to join me & we have a class of our own

you can find more infor in 1/8 ep conversion kit thread
Old 09-11-2009, 10:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Nitro is still strong, though electric conversions are quickly replacing the once nitro dirven buggies and trucks.

Electric has more recently been getting faster and more powerful than there nitro powered counter parts.

Besides that, its less messy, less noisy, less to tune, less maintnance, you dont have to buy fuel, glow plugs, bump boxes, a battery for the bump box ect...

I have owned both, and prefer the conveience and power of the electric over the nitro trucks.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:16 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

With electric, you have more options. I race indoor and outdoor tracks (just started though). Can't do that with nitro. Performance is about equal, with the power edge going to BL. You have to learn how to control all of that power though.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

LIPO
Old 09-11-2009, 11:34 AM
Tech Adept

Performance is now about the same... At Neo09, with some of the best drivers in the world (Cavalieri was there, just to name one) present, the lap times were about the same from nitro to EC.

But that is going to change soon. EC 1/8 Buggies are new, 1/8 brushless systems are new, batteries are still developing, EC buggies drivers haven't learn how to go 100% yet, and so on.

Not to mention that we, at this moment, can have the exact same electric motor as cavalieri, but we can buy an engine good as his.

I'm a big fan of electric, but I respect that some may like Nitro better... it feels more "real" and it surely requires different skills than electric (more mechanics, race strategy (pit stops), endurance in driving skills (longer mains),...).
Old 09-11-2009, 12:39 PM
Tech Initiate

thanks all, nitro the more real way to race for the time being, but it seems that the times are changing to electric. i understand racers like the realistic nitro, but a true racer that i am, speed and performance will always prevail.