R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 08-03-2009, 08:12 PM   #16
Tech Initiate

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifiend View Post
2S? If so,thats not that great. You could of bought 8, 2S Zippy lipos and had them in a week!
Yeah but you get what you pay for. My zippys didnt last half as long as they should have. Better to spend the extra buck and get a good battery.

Last edited by Lombax; 08-03-2009 at 08:14 PM. Reason: wanted to be clear i was quoting losifiend
Lombax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:42 PM   #17
Tech Adept

[QUOTE=Lombax;6157107]
Quote:

Yeah but you get what you pay for. My zippys didnt last half as long as they should have. Better to spend the extra buck and get a good battery.
If I'm doing the math correctly one is still coming out ahead with the zippys. I just got into electric after a few years of my buddies hounding me. They have tried all sorts of batteries and preach zippys. Max amps are definitely a brand they told me to steer clear of. At the price zippys are, as long as they last a season it's still a bargain.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:46 PM   #18
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

try www.spcracing.com these packs are underrated they perform awesome in my E conversion.I am set up with 2 7.4 tho don't see his brand in 14.8
Old 08-03-2009, 09:29 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

You get what you pay for and Zippy Lipos are overrated is just plain wrong. Maybe my first pack performing very well you could have convinced me that it was a lucky pack, but now I have 9(just received my 5s 5000 today!!!), and they ALL perform as good or better than advertised. I want to support American companies too! But think I am going to spend my hard earned money on the same product for triple the price??
burnineyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:29 PM   #20
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by jombo View Post
i get my lipos from here , all battery . com . they have a 14.8- 20c for 109.00
http://www.all-battery.com/148volt-4...tterypack.aspx
Quote:
Originally Posted by R40Victim View Post
We can only hope that the domestic retailers catch on, and start selling these things at reasonable prices. All they'd have to do, is match the Zippy price after shipping is added in. If they could do that, they stand a chance. As it stands, they're going down faster than GM with no bail out.
Ha HA Ha. That was the best thing i have heard all day and probably in the last week. So true my friend. These companies here in the U.S. that are selling battery packs, Lipo's, Speed controls, and the list goes on, are getting away with murder at the rate they charge for some of their products. Never again will i be buying from these major rip off R/C companies. My business has been taken elsewhere you thugs. I swear they are just as bad as Wall street and our corrupt Gov't.
SpeedKills25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:02 PM   #21
Tech Adept

I got 2 new turnigy packs, 5s 5000 mah from hobby city (20C). 50 bucks per pack and 37 bucks shipping and of course no tax. So 137 shipped from China. I ordered them on a Wednesday so they did not ship until Thursday and received them 2 days later on Saturday morning just in time to race! I checked the internal resistance of each cell (thanks to my good old cellpro 10s) and they are all 1-1.2 milliohms. Getting the same 2 packs in the US would probably cost almost 2-3 times as much.

Edit: Oh and one other thing, I own a couple trakpower lipos, paid 105 for each one (great batteries!). Brand new, the internal resistance of those cells was around 4-6 milliohms. Just thought I would add that in.
thisguy80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:06 PM   #22
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisguy80 View Post
I got 2 new turnigy packs, 5s 5000 mah from hobby city (20C). 50 bucks per pack and 37 bucks shipping and of course no tax. So 137 shipped from China. I ordered them on a Wednesday so they did not ship until Thursday and received them 2 days later on Saturday morning just in time to race! I checked the internal resistance of each cell (thanks to my good old cellpro 10s) and they are all 1-1.2 milliohms. Getting the same 2 packs in the US would probably cost almost 2-3 times as much.

Edit: Oh and one other thing, I own a couple trakpower lipos, paid 105 for each one (great batteries!). Brand new, the internal resistance of those cells was around 4-6 milliohms. Just thought I would add that in.
How did you check the internal resistance with the Cellpro 10S? Thxs
FMLinero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:34 PM   #23
Team Tekin

Quote:
We can only hope that the domestic retailers catch on, and start selling these things at reasonable prices. All they'd have to do, is match the Zippy price after shipping is added in. If they could do that, they stand a chance. As it stands, they're going down faster than GM with no bail out.
HMMM the reality is these batteries sell to the public for less than we or others can buy them OEM in large qty ( assuming they are the same quality and safety tested products). They may be overuns from other orders, rejects from the testing or just the same stuff everyone is selling. Hard to say but it is clear they are connected with the factories, able to purchase the “extra’s” at very low cost and willing to make very low margins. It is not greed that drives the prices up, it is the reality of business and cost associated with stocking, promoting and supporting the products as well as leaving room for the dealers to make a buck. If people buy everything online and overseas then do not complain when there are no hobby shops or race tracks….

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedKills25 View Post
Ha HA Ha. That was the best thing i have heard all day and probably in the last week. So true my friend. These companies here in the U.S. that are selling battery packs, Lipo's, Speed controls, and the list goes on, are getting away with murder at the rate they charge for some of their products. Never again will i be buying from these major rip off R/C companies. My business has been taken elsewhere you thugs. I swear they are just as bad as Wall street and our corrupt Gov't.

Making a profit is not a sin and is even required for anything to advance and to just stay in business. Those companies do not put anything back into the hobby and can operate on margins that will not even pay our employees. You think Americans should make $3 a day and can have a good quality of life? Careful what you wish for

The independents that take the huge personal risks to develop these products and provide jobs that pay better than min wage are hardly thugs or getting rich in todays competitive market full of mass produced knock offs in different colors.

Jim Campbell
President
Tekin

Last edited by Tekin Prez; 09-10-2009 at 02:12 PM.
Tekin Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:48 PM   #24
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

So true Jim! We wonder why our economy is taking a crap and people are losing jobs! I'm all for getting a good deal and getting the most for my money, but not supporting the companies that support our hobby here in the country we live is not the way......
Old 09-10-2009, 02:04 PM   #25
Tech Adept

The cellpro 10s does it automatically. It also balances out the pack for you. IMO the best charger out there for its price ($170 but fmadirect always has deals every now and then) but only downfall I can see is that it only does lipo and A123 cells which is fine by me. Anyhow, after about 15 minutes of charging it tells you the internal resistance of each individual cell. It also displays the individual cell voltage, amps drawn from the power supply, charging amps, and you can have several charge profiles and even hook the thing up to your PC to see all the charging characteristic laid out. I don't really use that feature since I normally don't bring a laptop with me to the track. Me and 3 other buddies of mine got that charger and are all thoroughly happy with it.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:34 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I am using the Turnigy right now but TruRC in the US has good "underrated" packs at a good price. Dont let the lower C rating scare you they are way more than that.

JR servos Hitec servos. Gens ace lipos KO radio.
malik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 05:08 PM   #27
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
HMMM the reality is these batteries sell to the public for less than we or others can buy them OEM in large qty ( assuming they are the same quality and safety tested products). They may be overuns from other orders, rejects from the testing or just the same stuff everyone is selling. Hard to say but it is clear they are connected with the factories, able to purchase the “extra’s” at very low cost and willing to make very low margins. It is not greed that drives the prices up, it is the reality of business and cost associated with stocking, promoting and supporting the products as well as leaving room for the dealers to make a buck. If people buy everything online and overseas then do not complain when there are no hobby shops or race tracks….
That tells me that the OEM is selling too high. I've read there are only a handful of OEM on Earth that make these things. Clearly China has an edge in the market, due to very low production costs. I doubt these are rejects, they just haven't been very problematic. I haven't seen many of them fail, and none locally.(only pack I've witnessed "blow up", was one of those high dollar American packs) I've seen other "Domestic" packs puff, but not burst into flames.(I say domestic in quotes because I don't know if they were actually made in America, prolly imported cells just assembled here)

My point is that somebody somewhere is charging too much to be competitive in a global market. If that's the case, I don't mind getting my packs from overseas, you can't beat the price/quality. I have several, and will buy several more. So far, all of them survived a season. I have one pack per vehicle, a 2S, 4S, and a 5S(edit, just recently bought a second 2S along with a small 3S to fly my combat plane). They each get used several times a month, and each day is several cycles. All still work and hold 95% or better, of their capacity.

As for tracks and hobby shops staying open. As long as there's a reason to race/fly, people will come. That's why the hobby survives to this day. Magazines, online forums, several competing manufactures, etc... I think you guys are doing ok, despite the economy. I don't remember so many choices, and at competitive rates. The cars and planes themselves keep improving, the SC trucks have generated a resurgence in racing. I do understand why folks would be upset about the Chinese doing so well & so "efficiently".

P.S. I think your 8th scale Tekin system is AWESOME!
R40Victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 05:23 PM   #28
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisguy80 View Post
The cellpro 10s does it automatically. It also balances out the pack for you. IMO the best charger out there for its price ($170 but fmadirect always has deals every now and then) but only downfall I can see is that it only does lipo and A123 cells which is fine by me. Anyhow, after about 15 minutes of charging it tells you the internal resistance of each individual cell. It also displays the individual cell voltage, amps drawn from the power supply, charging amps, and you can have several charge profiles and even hook the thing up to your PC to see all the charging characteristic laid out. I don't really use that feature since I normally don't bring a laptop with me to the track. Me and 3 other buddies of mine got that charger and are all thoroughly happy with it.
I have the Cellpro 10S but I have never seen it display the internal resistance of the cells. Which firmware do you have? Is this something that shows automatically or do you have to tell it to display?
FMLinero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 05:46 PM   #29
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMLinero View Post
I have the Cellpro 10S but I have never seen it display the internal resistance of the cells. Which firmware do you have? Is this something that shows automatically or do you have to tell it to display?
It shows it automatically. You just have to tap the mode button while the pack is charging to switch between displays. When you first start charging it will show each cell as -- mohms. After about 15 minutes of charging, it will show the internal resistance. It has always displayed it on my 10s and I bought it around when it first came out. I've updated the firmware a couple times but the last revision was late last year but the overall display on the charger has remained unchanged.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:58 AM   #30
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
As for tracks and hobby shops staying open. As long as there's a reason to race/fly, people will come. That's why the hobby survives to this day. Magazines, online forums, several competing manufactures, etc... I think you guys are doing ok, despite the economy. I don't remember so many choices, and at competitive rates. The cars and planes themselves keep improving, the SC trucks have generated a resurgence in racing. I do understand why folks would be upset about the Chinese doing so well & so "efficiently".

P.S. I think your 8th scale Tekin system is AWESOME!
You think the chinese are efficient? The reason they can make things so cheap is because they do not pay employees anything. They violate just about every environmental and humanitarian standard. That is why American companies can not compete.

You like the tekin system but how long till these companies stop innovating? Where is the reward? They come out with a good product for what is probably a reasonable profit, then 2 months later some company with no name/face or stake in the hobby starts knocking it off and all the lemmings jump off the cliff for the cheaper product. These companies just aren't going to bother anymore.

Look at your hobby shop now and 10 years ago, I'm guessing they don't stock near what they used to. You can thank the internet and people trying to save a $1.00 on a $4.99 replacement part.
huskerdually is offline   Reply With Quote