Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
tyres   proline vs AKA >

tyres proline vs AKA

tyres proline vs AKA

Old 08-02-2009, 04:57 AM
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up tyres proline vs AKA

what are your thoughts for truggy tyres
i know proline is better but the only reason that i am thinking about aka tyres is because they have hard compound
i want a tyre that will give good performance and last as long as possible
because its for practising
i want from people that have tried aka's to say something
thanks
Old 08-02-2009, 05:18 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I m using AKA truggy tires soft compound it's good but u need to know d softer d compound d more grip so it's up to u to decide.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

I'm learning too, but this is the advice I was given. Find out the tread pattern that works well at your track. That will give you the performance that you need, then choose the compound based on how long you want them to last. I raced for the second time (1/8 scale E-buggy) yesterday and went through about 6 sets of tires trying different patterns and compounds. I tried a used set of PL Bowties and they hooked up well, but the compound was too soft and I shreaded them after about 45 minutes. Tried PL Revolvers, they had less performance but no real signs of wear after 10 minutes of blue groove racing. JConcepts Crosshairs were not as good as Bowties but better than Revolvers. JConcepts Sevens were better than Crosshairs until they watered the track. I ended up going with AKA IBeams and they worked very well. Seemed to be very consistent and predictable and also showed no real signs of wear after about 15 minutes of racing.

Hemi4me sells alot of barely used and new tires for pretty cheap prices. I bought a bunch of sets to try out. Definitely a good investment. Tell him I sent you. It won't save you any money, but it'll make me feel better. Good luck.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

i like proline tires with AKA inserts
Old 08-02-2009, 09:12 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by B.A. Racer View Post
i like proline tires with AKA inserts
+1 on aka foams with caliber prolines!
Old 08-02-2009, 10:26 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 291 (100%+)

Aka's out here work quite well. I think a lot of it will depend on your track conditions.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:32 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

AKA tires will generally outlast Proline. This is from my previous experience. Your set up may need to be a little different as they have a harder insert. I am not real sure what your question was about the compounds of AKA being harder because I don't believe that to be true. They have soft, mediums and hards. I think in one of those compounds you will find the one you need.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:34 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

I've only tried 1/8th buggy AKA City Blocks and Grid Irons at my local track. They hook up really nice. Wear seems to be about on par with other Pro-Line tires I've tried in the past. A set is probably good for about two or three race weekends.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

AKA's will last 1.5-2 times longer than their competitors tires compound for compound with equal tread design.

I think no matter the track you will find that the City Block in medium compound would be a great tire for your truggy.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:56 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default tires

I ran an 8T 2.0 elec yesterday on a hard dusty track with calibers (soft and med) and city blks ( med).

both med calib and city blks did great with the rear just slightly more planted on the city blks, the soft calib were a little loose in the rear. I also ran the stock tires, they were decent, but wouldn't allow me to drive the trug as hard into or out of the corners.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

How do you know when a tire is reached the end of its usefulness? I mean, will a tire be no good for racing before the tread wears away?
Old 08-04-2009, 12:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

It depends on the track conditions. Tires that are closer to being bald are better on a blue groove. Tire with closer to new treads are better on loamy surfaces, new tires may be better on dusty conditions.

Consider them worn out when they no longer work for the application that you bought them to use on.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I went from m3 crimes to soft city blocks and will not go back. For two totally different profiles they have similar bite but the akas will outlast the prolines every time.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

yes AKA have generally higher durability but do you want your tires last 4 races or do you want to win and buy new tires every other race ?

I choose tires based on track surface not brand.

For truggy have VTR Calibers and VTR Revolvers, AKA cityblocks and GRP GRIP (once they die will replace them with ibeams)

For buggy I like Calibers, Revolvers, Holeshots, Grid irons, ibeams and cityblocks