Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
NEW TO ELECTRIC, HELP >

NEW TO ELECTRIC, HELP

NEW TO ELECTRIC, HELP

Old 08-02-2009, 12:24 PM
  #31  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (21)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 11,530
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

On my Hyperion chargers, it doesn't take any longer to balance charge than it does to just charge. I balance charge everytime and with the zippy lipos, you'd be wise to plan on doing the same.

Lipo manufactureres tell you what charge rate their lipos are recommended for, 1C, 2C, 5C etc (C - mah/1000, so 1C charge for 5000mah is 5000/1000 = 5amps). The newer more expensive lipos are either 2C or 5C rated. You'll need a lot more than 50watts of charger output power to take advantage of the higher charge rates and resulting shorter charge times.

I think zippys are all pretty much 1C rated lipos.
Duster_360 is offline  
Old 08-02-2009, 12:52 PM
  #32  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (-1)
 
davidg01234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 385
Default

Originally Posted by Duster_360 View Post
On my Hyperion chargers, it doesn't take any longer to balance charge than it does to just charge. I balance charge everytime and with the zippy lipos, you'd be wise to plan on doing the same.

Lipo manufactureres tell you what charge rate their lipos are recommended for, 1C, 2C, 5C etc (C - mah/1000, so 1C charge for 5000mah is 5000/1000 = 5amps). The newer more expensive lipos are either 2C or 5C rated. You'll need a lot more than 50watts of charger output power to take advantage of the higher charge rates and resulting shorter charge times.

I think zippys are all pretty much 1C rated lipos.
I am thinking about just getting 2 zippy lipos so i dont have to wait for it 2charge and what is the exact name of your charger
davidg01234 is offline  
Old 08-02-2009, 02:22 PM
  #33  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (21)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 11,530
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by davidg01234 View Post
I am thinking about just getting 2 zippy lipos so i dont have to wait for it 2charge and what is the exact name of your charger
I have the Hyperion DC powered 0610iNet charger. Its been replaced by the DC powered 0720iNet charger. It has 250watts of output power and will charge at 20amps. Mine has the same power, but is limited to 10amps.

The 0720iNet is shown here -

http://www.allerc.com/product_info.p...oducts_id=4305
Duster_360 is offline  
Old 08-02-2009, 02:57 PM
  #34  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (-1)
 
davidg01234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 385
Default

Originally Posted by Duster_360 View Post
I have the Hyperion DC powered 0610iNet charger. Its been replaced by the DC powered 0720iNet charger. It has 250watts of output power and will charge at 20amps. Mine has the same power, but is limited to 10amps.

The 0720iNet is shown here -

http://www.allerc.com/product_info.p...oducts_id=4305
Thats a little too much, im thinking about this one, but the only problem is i dont know if i want to get it because its coming from hong kong.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=7523
davidg01234 is offline  
Old 08-02-2009, 03:49 PM
  #35  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (21)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 11,530
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

I have that chargers little brother and it works fine. I've ordered from them several times and their service is good. Take the express shipping and I get my order in 5-7days. The less expensive shipping and it takes 14-16 days.

Look for a good power supply there as well, cheaper than what you'd be able to get over here. Look at the ad for the Accucel-6 and page down, they show power supplies - its about $40 IIRC, and its like 16amps at 14volts - will give you plenty of power to run a 150watt charger.

I was getting some alum parts from a shop in HK, RC=X, and they screwed up my address and it took 6weeks to get it. Thats the only time that I've had any probs with orders from HK, Singapore or Japan. It's no big deal ordering from over there. It just takes a little longer.
Duster_360 is offline  
Old 08-02-2009, 04:10 PM
  #36  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (-1)
 
davidg01234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 385
Default

Originally Posted by Duster_360 View Post
I have that chargers little brother and it works fine. I've ordered from them several times and their service is good. Take the express shipping and I get my order in 5-7days. The less expensive shipping and it takes 14-16 days.

Look for a good power supply there as well, cheaper than what you'd be able to get over here. Look at the ad for the Accucel-6 and page down, they show power supplies - its about $40 IIRC, and its like 16amps at 14volts - will give you plenty of power to run a 150watt charger.

I was getting some alum parts from a shop in HK, RC=X, and they screwed up my address and it took 6weeks to get it. Thats the only time that I've had any probs with orders from HK, Singapore or Japan. It's no big deal ordering from over there. It just takes a little longer.
What little brother do have of this one? So just because there is more expensive chargers and batteries doesnt mean they are better right?
davidg01234 is offline  
Old 08-02-2009, 06:24 PM
  #37  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (21)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 11,530
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

I have the 50watt version of this charger, the Accucel-6. Its hard to compete with Chinese labor, these chargers, the Accucel 6 and the 8 models would cost way more if they were assembled somewhere else in the world. I see nothing wrong with Asian built electronics.

Electronics - maybe yes, lipos - no, disagree. There is no way that a zippy compares equally to a Kokam, Enerland, Hyperion or any of the top quality, more expensive lipos.

Onboard data from a data recorder that shows realtime volts and amps shows that higher quality lipos have less voltage drop at high current outputs than the less expensive lipos. This performance also comes with very little if any cell imbalance. You will see cell voltage imbalance with zippys.
Duster_360 is offline  
Old 08-02-2009, 06:45 PM
  #38  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (-1)
 
davidg01234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 385
Default

Originally Posted by Duster_360 View Post
I have the 50watt version of this charger, the Accucel-6. Its hard to compete with Chinese labor, these chargers, the Accucel 6 and the 8 models would cost way more if they were assembled somewhere else in the world. I see nothing wrong with Asian built electronics.

Electronics - maybe yes, lipos - no, disagree. There is no way that a zippy compares equally to a Kokam, Enerland, Hyperion or any of the top quality, more expensive lipos.

Onboard data from a data recorder that shows realtime volts and amps shows that higher quality lipos have less voltage drop at high current outputs than the less expensive lipos. This performance also comes with very little if any cell imbalance. You will see cell voltage imbalance with zippys.
Ok so what is a good battery: 5000mah 4s
davidg01234 is offline  
Old 08-02-2009, 07:43 PM
  #39  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (21)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 11,530
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

I would consider -

http://www.neumotors.com/store/page12/page12.html

You'll have to look down teh page, these are the NEU5000XPI 4S 25C/50C and cost $105each. They can be charged at up to 5C.

The Hyperions are excellent lipos as well, but are more expensive. OK, so now reality sets in and the wallet takes over. The zippy are $55.72 plus S&H to get them here. So, a little more than half - what I see posted all the time is you can get 2 zippys for the price of one Neuenergy lipo. The other thing posted is that if a zippy does go bad, you haven't lost that much....

If you take good care of a zippy, don't discharge it too deeply and balance cells every charge, it will prob be worth what you paid for it. They don't last as long as a premium lipo. I have a pr of Neuenergy 2S 5000mah I bought used 2 yrs ago and I've already put almost 100cycles on them myself. I can't tell any diff in charging them from when I got them. I don't know how many cycles these have on them. I've never seen more than .003 - .005volt diff between the cells.

Is this worth the extra cost up front? Up to you to decide.
Duster_360 is offline  
Old 08-02-2009, 08:00 PM
  #40  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (-1)
 
davidg01234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 385
Default

Originally Posted by Duster_360 View Post
I would consider -

http://www.neumotors.com/store/page12/page12.html

You'll have to look down teh page, these are the NEU5000XPI 4S 25C/50C and cost $105each. They can be charged at up to 5C.

The Hyperions are excellent lipos as well, but are more expensive. OK, so now reality sets in and the wallet takes over. The zippy are $55.72 plus S&H to get them here. So, a little more than half - what I see posted all the time is you can get 2 zippys for the price of one Neuenergy lipo. The other thing posted is that if a zippy does go bad, you haven't lost that much....

If you take good care of a zippy, don't discharge it too deeply and balance cells every charge, it will prob be worth what you paid for it. They don't last as long as a premium lipo. I have a pr of Neuenergy 2S 5000mah I bought used 2 yrs ago and I've already put almost 100cycles on them myself. I can't tell any diff in charging them from when I got them. I don't know how many cycles these have on them. I've never seen more than .003 - .005volt diff between the cells.

Is this worth the extra cost up front? Up to you to decide.
Well since a Zippy is so cheap i would not care if it lasted a month at that price
thats just me

Last edited by davidg01234; 08-02-2009 at 08:34 PM.
davidg01234 is offline  
Old 08-03-2009, 06:11 AM
  #41  
Tech Master
iTrader: (10)
 
B.A. Racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,894
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by davidg01234 View Post
Well since a Zippy is so cheap i would not care if it lasted a month at that price
thats just me
yes zippy packs are great for the money but 2 2s packs to me works out better
B.A. Racer is offline  
Old 08-03-2009, 08:32 AM
  #42  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (-1)
 
davidg01234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 385
Default

Originally Posted by B.A. Racer View Post
yes zippy packs are great for the money but 2 2s packs to me works out better
why is that
davidg01234 is offline  

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.