R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-20-2004, 08:35 AM   #31
Tech Elite

I have raced a long time (since 1982) and this particular subject comes up from time to time. In the mid '80's, you could race on any number of club parking lot on road tracks in Southern California. A small group of racers prepared the track surface, set it all up and ran the races. The cost...$7.00

To race in a nice building like SoCal with a central location, amenities, and a fully stocked hobby shop is a bargain compared to other activities. $12.00 is nothing especially when you consider how much it has cost to race in the past. R/C racing is cheaper than ever (another argument, another time).

SoCal could change how they charge their wording when it comes to race entry. Insteadd of charging $12.00 plus $3.00 to rent a transponder. They should charge $15.00 and give a $3.00 discount to those with their own. Same thing, but interpreted differently.

Another thing that was mentioned is kids being the core of the hobby. Interesting and might be true. I think back and wonder when the change occurred as R/C car racing (not to be confused with R/C cars - different hobby) was at one time an adult hobby.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 07:46 PM   #32
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Bubblestc3 Send a message via Yahoo to Bubblestc3

Quote:
Originally posted by Charlie O
Well you all missed the point, all i am saying is that this is the first i have heard of renting a transponder. they are usually included in the entry fee! I am not poor by any means, but i don't like inflation. do any of you?. a lot of the people that race there are kids, they spend a whole weeks allowance on a race, and when mom comes to pick them up, and askes how did you do, they say i broke a $3.00 part in the first heat and didn't have money left to buy the part, cause i had to rent a transponder, so i didn't get to race. (mom's pissed) and what kid can afford a $70 transponder? what mom would pay $70 for a transponder. take a credit card #, mom's drivers licence# ( phone # if she's hot), but dont charge me for it. kids are the life blood of the sport, parts & accecories are expensive don't run them away with extra fees, cause they just might find another sport like soccer, (mom will gladly pay for that) then we all lose. by the way i run a two man four car team and the fees do add up. yeah i am lucky! there are 6 tracks within 25mi of my house, and more on the way, some are not so lucky. you will always get more customers if you charge less & offer more.
I am a "kid" by deffination, I live with my Mom, don't have a job yet, and go to school. I use my allowance to pay for a race weekend(although not all of it), and I sometimes break parts(aka brushes for racing). I bought my transponder with my own money.

I run a one man, three car team (offroad buggy(B4), onroad sedan(TC3), onroad sedan(EVOIII) AT Tamiya Track), and yes, the fees do add up. Yet, they are not unreasonable.

I was talking with some friends who have been in this sport since SoCal was in Garden Grove, when racing was $7. Can you imagine how they felt when the price rose? Another thing, the price for rent/lease has gone up around the SoCal area, we would all lose if we lost such a nice raceway as SoCal...

Bubblestc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 07:53 PM   #33
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Bubblestc3 Send a message via Yahoo to Bubblestc3

Quote:
Originally posted by Randman
Where are you gonna run offroad at a parking lot race?
LOL
Accually, you race Onroad with an "offroad" car.
You can run your sedan, and claim that it is a rally car
Bubblestc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 08:10 PM   #34
Tech Fanatic

Bubbles, Thats junior with the xxx buggy onroad, and yeah he can pull the same lap times as the sedans in sportsman that he races with. if i can find some good offroad tires for the TC3 i'll dial it in and run it in offroad! hey you coming out to R/C Heat in norco this weekend?
Charlie O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 10:54 PM   #35
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Bubblestc3
LOL
Accually, you race Onroad with an "offroad" car.
You can run your sedan, and claim that it is a rally car
That just seems boring.
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 12:06 AM   #36
Tech Addict

hmmmmmm....i have a personal transponder and never have had the chance to use it.maybe i will spend 20 bucks on gas to drive to socal and pay 12 bucks to race so i can use it....honestly i wouldnt mind.....wish MY local tracks had PT's...
losi jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 12:34 AM   #37
Suspended

Send a message via AIM to Gabe Boudreau

Anyone see Monster Garage last night. Jesse James said that a mentor of his told him "Charge people, they like to pay!" and then showed his hand that has the tatoo "PAY ME SUCKA" on it! If MnM would have charged everyone $15.00 to race back in the day instead of $9.00, the doors would still be open. But Joe was affraid that everyone would b!tch about the entry fee! The majority of the people that race at So Cal make 35K-75K a year, and $15.00 to race is dirt cheap! I know how much it cost's to keep that track open (I worked at 3 different R/C tracks back in the 90's) and $12.00 to race or $15.00 if you have no transponder is still a bargin. It used to cost me $15.00 bucks to drag race my truck at Brotherhood Raceway back in 1995 one or 2 times! So buck up and pay up, cuz things aint gettin any cheaper!

Goat - One time So Cal announcner, and very well paid while I was! $$$$$$$
Gabe Boudreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 09:22 PM   #38
Tech Initiate

well, i'm heading back to cali in a few weeks (in maryland right now) and can't wait to race at more than one track. Out here it rains so much and only on race weekends that i'd gladly pay to run indoors. Heck, here i pay to race and i still have to show up the day before to prep the track if i want to have a nice track to run on. I learned last summer to pay for a personal, makes life so much easier. It is the only r/c item you can buy and then SELL for the same or close to price. If you are b****ing about the price of entry fees, then I'd hate to see you when you are buying new tires every week to keep up with the competition. $3000+ to even have the basics for a transponder system needs to be made up somehow.
jswinkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 02:26 AM   #39
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to fraz

Charlie, here's another bit of info to chew on. I race in SoCal often and drive down from NorCal several times a year because we don't have cool permanent tracks like you guys. Furthermore, most race programs in the US are club-based. What does this mean? It means that we do pay for the boards, trailer, driver stands, paint, VHT, methanol, generators, computer, lap counting equipment, corner dots, trailer storage, etc. We as club members pay ~$30 year to race at these clubs and we have to contribute our time and labor as well to keep it going. And only after that do we get the opportunity to pay $15 per class to race. To top it all off, I would gladly pay $15 to race at a permanent track and here's the kicker... you don't have to set it up and tear down the track every race day
fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 05:17 AM   #40
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TexRacer

Charlie O are you really that anal about this?
I mean kids spend this in arcades,at bowling alley's,guitar lessons,entry into skate parks(Damn you mean I have to rent pads).Your kidding right or a real moron.
Inflation?What about So cal's rent going up,electricity getting higher and higher,insurance getting higher.You know what.This is a fun hobby and meant for all but people like YOU dont deserve such Nice facility's nor to breathe the same air tight ass.
Ehhhh people like you erk me.
Old 01-28-2004, 03:21 PM   #41
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

CharlieO, $15 is cheap. And renting transponders is not a new thing and I think it's a great idea. It allows those kids that can't afford to buy a PT to still race. All that rental fee is for is to pay for the transponders that either walk away and or come back broken. If $3 is that big of a deal to some one, this is the wrong hobby to be in.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 05:48 PM   #42
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default rent to own

I still like the idea of rent to own.. very cool.
timmay70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 06:11 PM   #43
Tech Apprentice

man you probly regret even starting this tread u probly wernt exspecting a wave of poeple defending socal i gues alot of poeple like socal

hey life is a ***** and then u die so just put up wiht it
nick b. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 06:11 PM   #44
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Re: rent to own

Quote:
Originally posted by timmay70
I still like the idea of rent to own.. very cool.
Yeah, me too. I think that any permanent track should use this method. I know that Billy at SpeedWorld in Sacramento is a great guy and he really cars about his customers that use his facility.
Old 01-28-2004, 07:28 PM   #45
Tech Rookie

I just visited SoCal Raceway over the Holidays and I would gladly pay the $15, that place is awesome! Try having to drive an hour to the closest track, also pay $15 and freeze your ... off since it is outdoors! You don't know how lucky you are! And $7 to practice all day, that's a steal!
PK Maxx is offline   Reply With Quote