Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

RC race facilities charge the cheapest per hour when compared
to other hobbies such as bowling, or paintball try to see how
much those two hobbies will cost you on facility fees to hang
out and play all day.
Old 01-19-2004, 02:14 PM   #17
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to xxxssportracer Send a message via Yahoo to xxxssportracer
Default track prices

We charge 11 per class on normal nights, 15 per class on trophy nights, and 20 per class on money nights. Those fees are without renting a transponder if you don't owe one, and rental fee is 5$. You might say that's a lot, but I would pay that to be able to race indoor asphault, and indoor off-road every weekend. This hobby is quite expensive, and I don't think making a fuss over 3-5 dollars is really worth it. Next time you go ask how many racers at that price take to pay the bills each month. I know we have to have 60 racers a wk. to pay the bills, and we average between 60-80, so really these tracks aren't looking to make money, but enough to pay the bills and keep a good inventory for you guys. That's my .02-Dave
xxxssportracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 02:41 PM   #18

Post PRICE

I AGREE.....
I LIVE IN SAN DIEGO, CA AND THE NEAREST TRACK IS SO CAL RACEWAY 106 MILES FROM ME!!!!!!!!!!!
GAS IS 20.00 TO GET THERE AND BACK.... RACE IS 12.00........
MISC...10-20 INCLUDING FOOD.....
$3-5 MORE ISNT A BIG DEAL.... ITS ALL ABOUT HAVING FUN, AND IF YOU MAKE SOMENEW FRIENDS ALONG THE WAY'''''''''''
EVEN BETTER......
LOOK AT IT THIS WAY....
THE NEXT TIME YOU GO TO YOUR TRACK AND SEE SOME NEW IMPROVEMENTS DONE...... YOU KNOW YOUR $3.00 WAS PUT TO GOOD USE....
muggleh8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 03:10 PM   #19
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to corvettecrazy

Quote:
Originally posted by Roger
you should be happy enough that they have a track in that area to race. there are alot of people that don't have that luxery to go out and attend an organized race.
that is a VERY good point...the closest track to me is a good 2.5 to 4 hour drive depending how long it would take me to get from 1 hour north of philly to the bottom suburbs of it. Depending on traffic that could easily take longer than 4 hours.

and that is the only track I know of around me!!!

muggleh8tr CAPS LOCKS = YELLING!!!! so do us a favor and turn it off please
corvettecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 03:37 PM   #20

Post price

oops..
muggleh8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 04:56 PM   #21
Tech Fanatic

Well you all missed the point, all i am saying is that this is the first i have heard of renting a transponder. they are usually included in the entry fee! I am not poor by any means, but i don't like inflation. do any of you?. a lot of the people that race there are kids, they spend a whole weeks allowance on a race, and when mom comes to pick them up, and askes how did you do, they say i broke a $3.00 part in the first heat and didn't have money left to buy the part, cause i had to rent a transponder, so i didn't get to race. (mom's pissed) and what kid can afford a $70 transponder? what mom would pay $70 for a transponder. take a credit card #, mom's drivers licence# ( phone # if she's hot), but dont charge me for it. kids are the life blood of the sport, parts & accecories are expensive don't run them away with extra fees, cause they just might find another sport like soccer, (mom will gladly pay for that) then we all lose. by the way i run a two man four car team and the fees do add up. yeah i am lucky! there are 6 tracks within 25mi of my house, and more on the way, some are not so lucky. you will always get more customers if you charge less & offer more.
Charlie O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 05:52 PM   #22
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Wink

Speedworld is the track closest to me, and he got rid of their transponder system late this summer and it forced us "regulars" to buy our own. no problem, it works in the long run cause i can use it anywhere. Billy doesn't add money to our entries, but they will "rent" a transponder for the day to anybody that needs one. He makes it a "rent to own" meaning after 3 or 4 times renting a transponder, he takes that money that was spent for the rent and puts it towards buying one. That's pretty fair. That way, it's not a total loss for the person renting as they get the money back (sort of) and the casual racer doesn't have to plop 70 bucks down to race for a day. Now if a place is charging a "transponder fee", and everybody has to pay it, that seems pretty crappy and I'd be upset about having to pay it too! If a track wants to raise the fees, just do it or let everybody know that the fee hike was to improve the place for all customers, not just for those who don't have transponders.
As far as breaking a $3.00 part and not being able to race for the day: if a kid is dropped off to race, I'm pretty sure the kid knows a few people there. One thing I've learned in my short time of racing is that everybody is helpful.
I know you were just making a point - just had to put in my .02 (if it's even worth that!)

vic
hierog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 06:43 PM   #23
Tech Adept

rod b, sounds like were on the same page. i agree with both of your posts.
vanguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 07:25 PM   #24
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to the shoe

I like to race and i race offroad and onroad and don't have a lot of spending money so if i race i have to budget my racing.That means that i race less.Prices just went to $10 per class we race at a track that the county has provided for us. Yea racing is becoming more expensive,but SoCal puts on a good race right?You should have asked around to check other prices now you know, it could be worse. That price is fair for what you get! If i raced at a privately owned track i 'm sure i would be paying more.You opend your mouth on a open forum and you are wrong.
the shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 07:35 PM   #25
Tech Master

The way I see it is you have to buy everything else so why should a transponder be any different. Why should the track have to come up with the initial cost, replacment cost, and not to mention having to constantly track them down because someone forgot to return it while the rest of the racers have to wait untill its found.
Peter Busch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 08:26 PM   #26
Tech Fanatic

Ok spongebob, you have to pay for everything else, next you will have to pay for the boards if you damage them, transponder bridges (usually pretty flimsy) and how about the damage to another persons car? fines for cursing on the drivers stands? a fee to check to see that everyone is running a stock motor, and weigh in!!! if your buyin im a flyin.
Charlie O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 10:37 PM   #27
Tech Master

So the question is where do you draw the line between your responsibility and the tracks?

I can see both sides however when it comes to all the issues with loner transponders getting broken, not returned, falling out of the car, etc... personals have solved all of that. I don't care how you look at it your going to pay for it one way or another. Either by increased entry fees, a seperate charge, or buy your own personal. If you think they were free up untill now just because you didn't get a seperate charge for it then your only kidding yourself.

As far as teching a car goes, would you sit there all day and do it for free, I don't think so. Thats why most tracks don't bother with it unless its a big race that comes with a big entry fee.

Damage to another car, if you don't want your car broke then don't put it on the track, everyone knows that.

Track damage, like I said above, your already paying for it.

Swearing on the stand, if we paid for that then somebody would definatly be getting rich.
Peter Busch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 10:51 PM   #28
Tech Adept

This turns out to be a better topic then I would have thought.

How much is too much?

I feel a little bit torn on this. Someone mentioned that kids are the lifeblood of this. With that I would agree. The more of those little kids we can keep around the better it is for us in the long run.

However, this hobby is not cheap. Never was and never will be. Not everyone can afford it. When I was a kid I did not get to do everything that I wanted. Often times I would have to chose between doing one thing or another because of money. We do not live in a communistic society where everyone who wants something is automatically entitled to it.

Not only are you lucky to have transponders but you are fortunate to have a track that was willing to put out the substantial jack to upgrade to the system allowing PT's. That was probably $3000 PLUS trading in the old system.

BTW this makes me feel even more fortunate for the track I have.
20 mins away. $10 first, $8 next. No rental. $70 for PT's

If I had to pay more I would. Not everyone gets to run organized racing and we who do are the lucky ones.
Tony Soprano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 11:41 PM   #29
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Where are you gonna run offroad at a parking lot race?
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 01:12 AM   #30
Tech Elite

For those of you who thinks $15 is too much to pay for a race, think about people who works there. How much do you think their time is worth? There is usually 2-3 peopl there running the facility. The hours are long to, often runs as late as 11pm. 3 buck may be a lot for kids but not for grown-ups. That 3 bucks also affect the people who works there and whether the track will survive as a business.

I think the bottom line is racing IS expensive, for kids or adults. I can see how kids cannot afford to race with their allowance...perhaps there needs to be a kid class that costs less but you have to be 15 or younger to participate?
jeffreylin is offline   Reply With Quote