Balancing Lipos

Old 07-28-2009, 08:17 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Balancing Lipos

How many amps should I balance a 6000mah 28C Lipo at? Also how out of balance is 4.20 and 4.0? Should I balance his or is it ok?
Old 07-28-2009, 08:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

hi sorry i dont no much about lipos or how to use rc tech yeat but i have a losi 4 cell 5000 mh batty and a core charger but the lead for the balance does not fit can someone tell me how i balance my batty or what to use to do this thanks john could you contact me though my email it is [email protected] thanks
Old 07-28-2009, 09:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I believe your packs would need an adapter to fit your charger's balance port. Your local hobby shop can show you which one is right for you.

Originally Posted by johngbrown
hi sorry i dont no much about lipos or how to use rc tech yeat but i have a losi 4 cell 5000 mh batty and a core charger but the lead for the balance does not fit can someone tell me how i balance my batty or what to use to do this thanks john could you contact me though my email it is [email protected] thanks
Old 07-29-2009, 04:30 AM
Tech Initiate

I still could use an answer to my question, since Jon kinda took over my thread.

How many amps should I be balancing a 6000mah 28c lipo at and how out of balance is 4.20 to 4.0 each cell respectivly?
Old 07-29-2009, 04:43 AM
Tech Regular

As a general rule, you would charge 1C. So a 6000mah = 6amps. You can go lower, like 5amps as well but will take a little longer to charge.

Looks like it is out of balance (4.2 - 4.0), I have seen tolerances of 4.2 - 4.18 which I think is still fine.

Originally Posted by Lombax
I still could use an answer to my question, since Jon kinda took over my thread.

How many amps should I be balancing a 6000mah 28c lipo at and how out of balance is 4.20 to 4.0 each cell respectivly?
Old 07-29-2009, 10:35 AM
Tech Adept

I concur w 1c.

Now, how do you measure each cell like you did?

How do you rebalance if it is out of tolerance? I have an 8000 that will not balance on the charger and I suspect its out of balance.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lombax

Always charge at 1C which is 6 amps for this battery. If your charger has a balancer built in it will automatically reduce amps when time to start balancing. And yes, 4.2 to 4.0 is way out of balance.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:59 AM
Tech Regular

I'm not an expert, and do not have the high tech gadgets to measure them independently, but I just use the "readings" from my balance charger. Assuming it is correct and within acceptable tolerances for error, that is all I use. I use the imax B5 - cheapo one, as I'm just bashing, not racing.

I balance charge everytime, so the charger will try to discharge each cell to a starting point, then charge (and it will repeat the discharge / charge when it gets closer to full capacity). I ususally get 4.2 - 4.19.

Originally Posted by sluggoman
I concur w 1c.

Now, how do you measure each cell like you did?

How do you rebalance if it is out of tolerance? I have an 8000 that will not balance on the charger and I suspect its out of balance.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

The cels should be within .05-.1 for them to be ok. And you can charge that battery at 6amps. you can go over that but i wouldnt, its not like a nimh where you can charge the battery at a higher amp and get more performance. Higher charge rates only decrease the life of your battery.