Wiki Posts
Search

Potential issues with new Kyosho?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 10:02 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default New Kyosho buggy questions

I just recently bought a Kyosho ZX5 brushless buggy (Team Orion motor which was already installed when buying the buggy) and I had a few things that I would like to know and if anyone could help me that would be great.

Does a LiPo battery really increase the speed by a big amount? How much more power will I get if I put in a 7.4V 5000mAh 2 Cell LiPo compared to a normal standard battery (I think my current battery is 1200mAh, it's plain yellow and unbranded so not sure the details).

My car also seems to have a bit of a delay then stutters before reversing. After a period of time (7 mins or so?) it suddenly loses power then stops, then starts again, then stops (2 seconds running then stopping again). It does this for a little bit then if I don't push it too much it runs ok. I get it home and put it on the stand and it seems to still have quite a bit of power left in the battery. Would this be a car mechanics or battery issue?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Paliente; 07-28-2009 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Changing Title
Old 07-28-2009, 10:16 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Paliente
I just recently bought a Kyosho ZX5 brushless buggy (Team Orion motor which was already installed when buying the buggy) and I had a few things that I would like to know and if anyone could help me that would be great.

Does a LiPo battery really increase the speed by a big amount? How much more power will I get if I put in a 7.4V 5000mAh 2 Cell LiPo compared to a normal standard battery (I think my current battery is 1200mAh, it's plain yellow and unbranded so not sure the details).
LiPo in itself makes little difference (7.4V vs 7.2V). However your 1200mAh sub-C pack is probably of quite low quality, so a good quality LiPo will be faster. And with 5000mAh it will last a lot longer.

My car also seems to have a bit of a delay then stutters before reversing. After a period of time (7 mins or so?) it suddenly loses power then stops, then starts again, then stops (2 seconds running then stopping again). It does this for a little bit then if I don't push it too much it runs ok. I get it home and put it on the stand and it seems to still have quite a bit of power left in the battery. Would this be a car mechanics or battery issue?

Thanks in advance!
Your battery is flat. Stop running the car as you will damage the battery. Recharge and run again.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:27 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by sosidge
LiPo in itself makes little difference (7.4V vs 7.2V). However your 1200mAh sub-C pack is probably of quite low quality, so a good quality LiPo will be faster. And with 5000mAh it will last a lot longer.
Just had a look at the battery and it's a 2100 NiCad 7.2v variety. Can I charge the LiPo on the fast charger I have at the moment. Thanks for the very helpful info so far.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

Any lipo will be better and out perform that battery. Also when you run it until you lipo cutoff comes on and dont stop running, you can discharge the lipo to the piont where it will not take a charge anymore. So make sure you stop running it when it does that.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

For sure DO NOT charge lipo on your current charger>it needs to be lipo specific.Before investing in lipo search on this forum and get as informed as you can get because lipos are great but also have very specific handling needs. Good luck
Old 07-28-2009, 10:33 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Check to see that your charger is capable of charging Lipo's. You can't just charge a lipo using the same settings as a NIMH or NICD.
If it is capable of charging Lipos, charge it at 1C unless specified different by the Lipo Manufacture. Also make sure the ESC on the buggy has a lipo cutoff. If you are just running the Lipo till it goes dead, you are ruining the pack. A 7.4v pack should not be discharged below 6V.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:02 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

If its a powerful brushless motor, it will pull a lot of amps, and you need a lipo battery for that.

I went brushless before I went lipos. I bought a 5700kv Sidewinder combo and ran it on some old 1800 NICD's. It would do the same thing. Really cog bad and speed up, then slow down, even when fully charged. A lipo changed all that. Difference was like night and day.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you can change the title of your topic. The topic seems like you are referring to manufacture issues.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:56 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Dan
If its a powerful brushless motor, it will pull a lot of amps, and you need a lipo battery for that.

I went brushless before I went lipos. I bought a 5700kv Sidewinder combo and ran it on some old 1800 NICD's. It would do the same thing. Really cog bad and speed up, then slow down, even when fully charged. A lipo changed all that. Difference was like night and day.
This is your problem.

No reason why an old Sub-C pack couldn't run a hot brushless.

It's just that sensorless = fail.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:57 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by joelwhite
For sure DO NOT charge lipo on your current charger>it needs to be lipo specific.Before investing in lipo search on this forum and get as informed as you can get because lipos are great but also have very specific handling needs. Good luck
While I'm making things big - a reminder of these wise words...
Old 07-28-2009, 02:06 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by sosidge
This is your problem.

No reason why an old Sub-C pack couldn't run a hot brushless.

It's just that sensorless = fail.
Oh, I'm so sorry I didn't buy a full sensored system for my basher TA03R

Barely any cogging problems with lipos now. Nearly as smooth as my Tekin RS after a firmware update. The old NICD's are not up to the demands of the 5700kv system.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:48 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Dan
I think my motor is around the 2300kv mark.

www wheelspinmodels.co.uk/item/ORI66007-Team-Orion-Vortex-Buggy-Brushless-Experience-Combo-40A-ESC-With-14T-Motor-29T-Equivalent-Br__3342/

This is the current motor. In the scheme of things, is this one of those high amp pulling motors?
Old 07-28-2009, 08:37 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Doubt it, thats a really slow motor so it shouldn't be pulling high amp draw on acceleration.