R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 07-26-2009, 08:10 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I had the same problem. I broke my left front atm every night running on a dirt oval track. I didn't hit anything. I replaced my broken graphite arm with a plastic rtr arm. I put the truck on the oval track and did two acceleration tests to see that the slipper was set properly and make sure the steering was good. On the third run the left front arm broke again I was just GOING STRAIGHT. I installed the RPM gt2 front arms and the hinge pin kit for the gt2. I havent' broken another arm since and my lap times are more consistent.

I installed the gt2 rear arms and hub carriers also to take care of the problem with blowing up the bearings in the rear hubs.

Tc02C EVO TE

TS2
vwjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:19 PM   #17
Tech Rookie

first.. Thank you to everyone who posted a comment.. Being a noob at this, you guys are what makes this exciting... THe feedback is incredible!

second... To answer you all.. As a rookie, I'm still learning the feel of the car and will try to be more gentle with jumps.. Definitely take that into consideration..

But as I read some of the comments. I noticed a lot of people saying
GT2 or RPM arms.. Here's a few follow up questions

.. I'm racing at the LHS and in a club.. And don't want to effect my time..

1. What about the titanium a arms?
2. Will the GT2 and RPM's affect my speed or driving?
3. Could you provide links to these particular items so I can buy online.. Noticed hobby shop is charging about 40-90 percent mark up.

tx!
mcsully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:43 PM   #18
Tech Master

The RPM gt2 arms, are stronger than the stock arms and are lighter than the plastic ones. They seem to act the same lap after lap after lap. I have been able to not only run more laps since I finish every race now but I also have been able to be more consistent with my lap times. The problem with aluminum arms is that they add weight to the suspension and so it makes the shocks work harder.

Here's a link to the arms.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...EARCH=gt2+arms

Tc02C EVO TE

TS2
Old 07-27-2009, 12:14 AM   #19
Tech Initiate

Are the GT2 rear A-arms a direct fit to the T4?
ryansiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:45 AM   #20
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansiki View Post

Good question but I don't believe they are...
Old 07-27-2009, 11:59 AM   #21
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansiki View Post
No they are not.

Only the front arms can be used (as well as the castor blocks, front shock tower, and steering blocks), but you will need to cut down the outer hinge pin, or pick up a smaller pin as the GT2 arms don't have that space for if you wanted to use the inline steering blocks.

*Team CFX Racing**Evil 3 Paint Works*
carbon madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:04 PM   #22
Tech Master

The rear arms do fit although you have to change the rear hub carriers also. Only problem is that the shocks mount a little differently on the arms. Might be able to swap to a gy2 rear shock tower to correct it. I just turned some preload out of my springs and they seem to be just fine now. Haven't noticed any difference in lap times at the track either.

Tc02C EVO TE

TS2
Old 07-27-2009, 01:59 PM   #23
Tech Regular

Default turns?

how many right hand turns do you have on the track? more turns to one side usually means you break to that side more often.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:45 PM   #24
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Support your local hobby shop you are just talking a few $. Thats what keeps them open so you can have a place to race.
Ansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:47 PM   #25
Tech Master

It's not about supporting your lhs's. It's about finishing races.

Tc02C EVO TE

TS2

Last edited by vwjuice; 07-27-2009 at 05:49 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:03 PM   #26
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
3. Could you provide links to these particular items so I can buy online.. Noticed hobby shop is charging about 40-90 percent mark up.
All I'm saying is if you can get the same parts at your lhs for a few dollars more you should support them. I know there online stores that sell parts cheaper but they don't have a race track & lights for you to enjoy racing on, that's partly why they can sell cheaper. But that does not give you a place to race. If your track closes do to lack of operating capitol don't wonder why.
Ansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:04 PM   #27
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansel View Post
All I'm saying is if you can get the same parts at your lhs for a few dollars more you should support them. I know there online stores that sell parts cheaper but they don't have a race track & lights for you to enjoy racing on, that's partly why they can sell cheaper. But that does not give you a place to race. If your track closes do to lack of operating capitol don't wonder why.
Totally agree and will buy something while I'm there racing.. But If i can, I'll order it online.. No reason for these guys to mark up a 3 or 5 dollar product 200-300%
Old 07-27-2009, 05:50 PM   #28
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansel View Post
Ok my bad, I apologize. I agree with that. I always buy everything from my local shop. Same place to race also.

Tc02C EVO TE

TS2
Old 07-27-2009, 06:15 PM   #29
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to cmain

Another thing to check is in the front brace. After you replace a bulkhead sometimes small plastic pieces are still in the brace if you forget to remove them the hinge pin will not be properly braced making it easier to break a arm or bulkhead. Attached is a pic of the brace I am talking about.
Attached Thumbnails
T4 Front Right A Arm Breaking-brace.jpg  
cmain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:30 PM   #30
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I had a similar problem, only I kept breaking left arms. I replaced the pin that goes through the arm to the front brace. On a closer inspection on the removed pin I noticed it had a slight bend at one end (very slight).
I haven't broken an arm on that side since.
dirtdustingdavo is offline   Reply With Quote