Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Titan 12 turn 550 versus the Reedy Radon 17 turn 540 >

Titan 12 turn 550 versus the Reedy Radon 17 turn 540

Titan 12 turn 550 versus the Reedy Radon 17 turn 540

Old 07-24-2009, 12:28 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default Titan 12 turn 550 versus the Reedy Radon 17 turn 540

Does anyone know how the Titan 12 turn 550 compares to the Reedy Radon 17 turn 540 motor ?

The Titan is offered in the Traxxas Slash RTR kit and the Radon in the Associated SC-10 RTR kit.

Are they the same speed/torque and should they be able to compete in the same class ?

Has anyone made direct speed comparisons ?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

These are my experiences others may differ. The titan is longer therefor has more torque and runs cooler and does not offer field maintenance. The radon is shorter lighter and a faster motor. It does run hotter but offers replaceable brushes.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:27 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by brofroe View Post
These are my experiences others may differ. The titan is longer therefor has more torque and runs cooler and does not offer field maintenance. The radon is shorter lighter and a faster motor. It does run hotter but offers replaceable brushes.
+1...I just think the fact that if AE wanted to have the exact same motor spec as traxxas they would've done that...but because of this recession we're in no one is going to buy a radon motor. AE did it probably because they got too much inventory on it and decide hey what the heck why give a 12 turn modified brushed motor when we have alot of this in our inventory lets put it in the RTR and sell for cheap...eventually the consumer buying the RTR will switch to a brushless setup...because its mainstream right now...just my 2 cent...don't quote me on this i'm just speculating why they put a 17T motor instead of a 12T modified motor to keep it in the same class as the slash motor specs.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

From my experiences the Reedy is faster than the Titan but the Titan does last longer using two cell lipos.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HWYSHREDDER78 View Post
From my experiences the Reedy is faster than the Titan but the Titan does last longer using two cell lipos.
+1..........The Radon lasts 2 race weekends the Titan lasts 3.

I did have a USED Titan last a couple or three months. There musy have been something wrong with it!
Old 07-25-2009, 07:27 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 167 (100%+)

Originally Posted by brofroe View Post
+1..........The Radon lasts 2 race weekends the Titan lasts 3.

I did have a USED Titan last a couple or three months. There musy have been something wrong with it!
No, you probably just treated it right. Guys where I race typically get 6 months out of a Titan 12T. I've never run mine on anything but 7-cell packs and it still works after 9 months. It is not as fast as it used to be, but it still works.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Where we race we have found that the radon has a little more top end speed and the titan has a little more low end torque. Makes them pretty even by the time you get to the end of the lap. I keep hearing that the titan doesn't last that long though.