R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 07-22-2009, 02:02 PM   #16
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The economy is part of the problem, people find it hard to justify spending $15+ a week just to go race their car. There is also the time issue, getting that time off every week is hard to do, kids games, work, honey do's all eat into that time.

I have not been racing in MONTHS and I miss it very much, I just don't have the time to get up there to do it. I am going to try to get away to do a practice night again here soon but I can't even commit to that. If the races where back at 1990 entry price levels I still could not get up there, so it is not a cost issue for me...it is schedule.

What will happen....no one knows, but I know I will be sad if the only track in my area shuts down.....and it is a very nice place, indoor carpet oval and on road, out door dirt oval, out door LARGE on road, and an indoor dirt track....all under one roof as it where.
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 02:09 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to y2kgtp Send a message via Yahoo to y2kgtp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
The economy is part of the problem, people find it hard to justify spending $15+ a week just to go race their car. There is also the time issue, getting that time off every week is hard to do, kids games, work, honey do's all eat into that time.

I have not been racing in MONTHS and I miss it very much, I just don't have the time to get up there to do it. I am going to try to get away to do a practice night again here soon but I can't even commit to that. If the races where back at 1990 entry price levels I still could not get up there, so it is not a cost issue for me...it is schedule.

What will happen....no one knows, but I know I will be sad if the only track in my area shuts down.....and it is a very nice place, indoor carpet oval and on road, out door dirt oval, out door LARGE on road, and an indoor dirt track....all under one roof as it where.
Ahh how I can relate. My problem is time as well. I have not been officially racing in years. Kids, wife, work....it was all easier in 1990 when I was a kid and a race day cost 6-7$.

I keep getting\buying all the equipment ready to go for me and 2 of my kids, but we just never seem to get the free time....aka gone an entire Saturday.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:29 PM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

hey if you dont want to spend money every week buy vrc...BEST CREATION EVER and the offroad version come out end this year or early next...personally im fortunate to have 10 tracks in indiana and the entry is only $10 for 1 class...so it isnt affecting me that much
B.A. Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 02:31 PM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to RC Dad

I must be the exception then... we've been to more and bigger races this year than ever before (Nats even!) but it is getting harder financially. I work an occasional drywall job on the side when I'm really desperate for cash. I've been at my regular job long enough and have great vacation benefits so time off isn't a problem.

Our LHS has diversified and now sells and services electric and gas scooters to keep the cash flow going. Great business in a down economy, selling 60mpg+ transportation! I like the idea of a paintball field or other related hobby tied in with the space too. Diversify and survive.

I buy most of our stuff from the LHS, and am active in track maintenance and any other help I can offer him and in return I usually get a discount off my purchases - it's enough to keep me ordering parts there rather than online (except for some stuff one of my kids gets from his sponsors). I'd probably buy some things there anyway because it's the only way we can have a local track year-round. I do have 2 acres and could easily put up a 1/10 track but anything more than an occasional electric invite and I'd have zoning issues and neighbor complaints that I don't need.

Electric is most likely our hobby's future due to these issues. It's much easier to get approval and space for a quiet activity than a noisy one, though I do love the smell of nitro fumes in the morning!
Old 07-22-2009, 02:32 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.A. Racer View Post
hey if you dont want to spend money every week buy vrc...BEST CREATION EVER and the offroad version come out end this year or early next...personally im fortunate to have 10 tracks in indiana and the entry is only $10 for 1 class...so it isnt affecting me that much
I have my eye on this.....hasn't the off-road version been coming for years now?
Old 07-22-2009, 02:44 PM   #21
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kgtp View Post
I have my eye on this.....hasn't the off-road version been coming for years now?
its been in beta for 2 years or something but it is officially coming this year or early next
Old 07-22-2009, 03:01 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.A. Racer View Post
its been in beta for 2 years or something but it is officially coming this year or early next
UGG....new version coming out anyways,....might as well wait

Has the off-road cars at least referenced.

http://www.virtualrc.com/vrc-pro/vrcpro.aspx
Old 07-22-2009, 04:24 PM   #23
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

The midwest hasn't seen a decrease in racers. I drive 3 1/2 hrs. one way to race. There are 3 tracks in different directions and all are doing well. SMAC track in St. Charles, Mo. averaged over 150 entries each week last winter. 199 on one night. B&L Hobbies and Raceway usually has around 60 every fri. night and the competition is awesome. I think the thing that hurts tracks most is the owners lose interest. Its a thankless job and they get burned out. If you've got a local track help out once in awhile by watering or grabbing a shovel. Anything to take some load off the owners. The hobby will survive but its going to take us racers and bashers to help any way we can.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:27 PM   #24
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kgtp View Post
UGG....new version coming out anyways,....might as well wait

Has the off-road cars at least referenced.

http://www.virtualrc.com/vrc-pro/vrcpro.aspx
when this comes out ill be racing t4 and 8th scale just like now
Old 07-27-2009, 08:50 AM   #25
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcvicker View Post
What's killing shops and tracks seems to be the economy and online sales. I just bought a few LiPos and chargers from Hong Kong. It's people like me hurting LHS, sorry to say. If LHS also runs the track - then both lose out. However, this just the "law of gravity" - you follow the prices to where you can truly afford to buy stuff rather than scrape by and buy something retail.

Also, what's killing hobby in general (and childhood in my opinion) - Video games and Internet. My kids barely ever go outside anymore. When I was a kid, by 14, I'd already been burned by Cox airplane engines, crashed many dirt bikes and had 50-100 scabs I've picked off myself. If kids get a boo-boo these days and kids don't want to go outside anymore. Teach kids the fun of fire, throw them in the mud and make them play outside. That'll help make them better kids and adults later on.
I also am guilty of buying out of Hong Kong...but its kinda hard to justify spending $90 on a pack in the US over $30 from HK. But that is my limit. I am starting to find the online dealers really aren't giving very good discounts anymore. I have been going to my LHS for what I buy(unless they don't stock it) because they are the same price as online.

As far as those turnigy chargers go, you will find probably more than just the Losi model with the same internals. Seems like every new charger coming out lately have that same display.

I am amazed at how kids just want to sit indoors even when its nice outside. When its a 102 or minus 20 I can't blame them, I am the same way. I never wanted to be inside when I was a kid. I was thrashing my mini bike, bicycle and just running around acting like a "kid". Even now when the weather is bad, I get stir crazy being in the house.
dhc8guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:48 AM   #26
Tech Adept

I am in the midwest as well and the crowds at Smactrac at amazing... Really a hot thing to do in the winter. Summer is a bit tougher with other hobbies taking chunks of time.

Re: economy:

Ironicly I got back into RC due to the economy caused me to pull back on the Jeep/jetski/race car hobbies. A $15 a-arm is way better that $75 entry fees and $7/gal race fuel. So really the economy drove me to a less expensive hobby (when compared to drag racing, etc)

4s2p A123 giving the go-power
Tomeygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:46 AM   #27
Tech Addict

One thing I have noticed is that there are more class choices for potential racers to join. However, it seems the pool of racers hasn't increased by much.

The smaller tracks suffer from this.

Case in point, in my area there has been R/C racing off and on since the mid-80's I believe. When it was first popular in the mid-80's to early 90's there would be about drivers spread out over classes (stock buggy and truck, monster truck). Same thing when it got popular again in the late 90's.

The last time there was racing in this area we still had rougly 30 racers but they were spread out over 5 different classes(stock buggy and truck, 1/10 gas truck, 1/8 scale buggy and truggy).

Trust me, racing against only 3 other guys is still fun but the more the merrier I say.

I really think the future is in the lower cost classes. It's hard for many ppl. that aren't familiar to this hobby to drop a grand on a R/C car. What the smaller tracks and hobby shops need to do is stick to a set of rules and enforce them instead of allowing run what you brung.

Also, every time there is a major improvement in battery run-time ROAR increases the length of the mains in electric class racing, this usually trickles down to even the non-ROAR sanctioned tracks and events. What needs to happen is for ROAR to keep the length of electric classes down to 5 minutes. Not only to mitigate any battery advantages but to keep the length of events down to reasonable amount.

Many local tracks have both electric and nitro racing on the same day. The longer a weekly racing event lasts the harder it is to attend. Especially if you have a wife and kids.

sorry for the novel .
henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:53 AM   #28
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

True True..you can justify the cost anyway you need too. My wife likes to say "its better than spending $300 in a strip club"

In reality, it can be a fairly cheap hobby. Look at golf, $90 for 18 holes...a $15 race fee seems real cheap.

But we all have our spending limits.
dhc8guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:08 AM   #29
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomeygun View Post

Ironicly I got back into RC due to the economy caused me to pull back on the Jeep/jetski/race car hobbies. A $15 a-arm is way better that $75 entry fees and $7/gal race fuel. So really the economy drove me to a less expensive hobby (when compared to drag racing, etc)
I did the same thing, Injury took me away from racing real cars so after my surgery I went back to the toy cars....and it is MUCH cheaper....also MUCH less fun.

Those are pretty cheap entry fees when you look at $350+ entry fees for a SCCA double weekend, plus gas for the motorhome to tow your car there, food, gas at the track. I figured it cost about $1200-$1500 per weekend I was racing the real car, and that is if nothing broke.....and as soon as I can I will do it again, not sure if I can run a GTL car again but I will run something. I will take Vac time to run the real car, it seems a waste to take Vac. to play with a toy car.
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote