3s lipo bad?

Old 07-17-2009, 08:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default 3s lipo bad?

I got a venom 4000 mah and i allways balance charged it. and well the 1st 2 cells are bounceing all over the place like 4.07 1 sec later 4.14 then 4.11
allways all over never did that b4 and the 3rd cell went up too 4.20.. and was pritty stable the whole way up... soooo hummm anyone?

is this battery pack gone bad?
should i keep trying too balace it or is it a risk???
Old 07-18-2009, 07:28 AM
Tech Master

Try cleaning the balance tap connection with electrical contact cleaner first. You may have a fowled up dirty plug which is often a cause for false readings like what your seeing. Other things to check for are balance tap wires that may be possibly breaking off. If everything checks out there try a low amp discharge to the LVC point then a slow full charge a 1 amp while balancing. Then see how it does. If you get a pack that consistently has a cell that is more than .5 volts from the rest you have a bad cell and should watch the pack as you use it. it will progressively get worse to the point where it will then puff. If you don't feel like using the pack any longer take and discharge it with a 12 volt automotive light bulb until it has less than a volt total in the whole pack. Cut off the leads both main and balance tap and then take it to a local battery re cycler. One the pack is less than a volt it is harmless.

-Jason
Old 07-18-2009, 10:01 AM
Tech Adept

Venom is the first problem so maybe a new battery or charger.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JAM MaxAmps View Post
Try cleaning the balance tap connection with electrical contact cleaner first. You may have a fowled up dirty plug which is often a cause for false readings like what your seeing. Other things to check for are balance tap wires that may be possibly breaking off. If everything checks out there try a low amp discharge to the LVC point then a slow full charge a 1 amp while balancing. Then see how it does. If you get a pack that consistently has a cell that is more than .5 volts from the rest you have a bad cell and should watch the pack as you use it. it will progressively get worse to the point where it will then puff. If you don't feel like using the pack any longer take and discharge it with a 12 volt automotive light bulb until it has less than a volt total in the whole pack. Cut off the leads both main and balance tap and then take it to a local battery re cycler. One the pack is less than a volt it is harmless.

-Jason

your saying its still safe to run?!!!! WTF!!!

Last edited by whitrzac; 07-18-2009 at 12:39 PM.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by whitrzac View Post
your saying its still safe to run?!!!! WTF!!!
I believe he is suggesting some possibilities on why the voltage reading is off via the balance tab, and how to correct them.

And of course a good way to dispose of the battery if it does not get corrected by the balance tab "adjustments".
Old 07-18-2009, 12:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you have lipos you need to trust your balancer and maybe also get a voltmeter to double-check. My chargers run a little lower than my voltmeter (which is a good one) so it's good to have two sources of volt readings. Also, with a voltmeter, you can double-check on the strange readings the charger/balancer is saying.

I'm a bit of a hack myself and have seen my first two LiPos (bought used) drop badly due to mis-balance. Both went below 3.0v for a day. I brought them back to life and they are fine. Which means - LiPos don't have to be trashed if you dip below 3.0v for a small period of time. It may make them harder to balance, but they're not "done yet".

Jason would be someone to trust with his recommendations as he works for MaxAmps.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:26 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I have had similar problems with some of my Lipo's and just as JAM from max amps says, Try and check how if your Balance wires are still attached to the battery liek they should be. Like inside... solder joints etc.

because this happened o my hardcase lipo's i cracked them open and found that 1 or even 2 wires were either completely broken off, or still attached by the thinniest strand ever. My balance charger would give me whack fluctuating readings as is, but once resoldered, all was back to normal.