R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   what would cause a sensored motor to studder (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/312370-what-would-cause-sensored-motor-studder.html)

oldschoolrc 07-15-2009 06:25 PM

what would cause a sensored motor to studder

i got like 3 runs out of my reedy neo sensored brushless motor and now it studders in when it starts out now...granted it got hot but the gearing is low and im using a lrp esc and nihms (7.4v) it was blazing fast and could pull the front end off the ground from half speed! im using a m8 with the throttle ramp up speed set slower so i can gun it and it wont spin off the line.

once it starts going(not on the ground though) it will take off....its like the sensore is shot, but in the motor or esc? the wire is fine (checked with meter)

sLaSh It UPP 07-15-2009 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by oldschoolrc (Post 6072883)
i got like 3 runs out of my reedy neo sensored brushless motor and now it studders in when it starts out now...granted it got hot but the gearing is low and im using a lrp esc and nihms (7.4v) it was blazing fast and could pull the front end off the ground from half speed! im using a m8 with the throttle ramp up speed set slower so i can gun it and it wont spin off the line.

once it starts going(not on the ground though) it will take off....its like the sensore is shot, but in the motor or esc? the wire is fine (checked with meter)

was it a hot day out? then your esc could be over heating

oldschoolrc 07-15-2009 08:10 PM

i tried it an hour later and everything was cool and the esc was cool befor too cuz of the fan on top....like not even 100 degrees

kufman 07-15-2009 09:41 PM

Sounds like a bad sensor or the sensor cable is bad. check to make sure all the pins are pushed in on both ends of the sensor cable. I had a cable break on me the other day. Wire broke right where it is crimped into the pin.

idbdoug 07-15-2009 10:33 PM

Try resoldering all leads to motor and/or speed control. Could have a bad solder connection
idbdoug

killatoyota4569 07-15-2009 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by kufman (Post 6073851)
Sounds like a bad sensor or the sensor cable is bad. check to make sure all the pins are pushed in on both ends of the sensor cable. I had a cable break on me the other day. Wire broke right where it is crimped into the pin.

Had that problem Check your sensor wire first. then try another motor to see if it is the ESC. I had this same issue and it was the ESC not the motor..... But sometimes it can be a bad sensor wire.

Bigedmond 07-16-2009 12:14 AM

What ECS. if you are using the SPX, they have an issue of power being applied while the wheels are off the ground. It starts shuddering, and will only start moving the wheels after you start turning them.

Only thing you can do, get your receipt and send the ESC in. Its done.

UK.hardcore 07-16-2009 03:55 AM

motor can be shorted on one coil. due to thermal overload.