Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Thoughts on race directors/track owners being proactive in helping new racers fit in >

Thoughts on race directors/track owners being proactive in helping new racers fit in

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thoughts on race directors/track owners being proactive in helping new racers fit in

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 05:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nv529
is just my area or has anyone else ever notice being sponsored does very little for this hobby anymore. honestly how many of you when out and bought a brand X car because Joe Racer started driving for them? Sponsorship is like a dime a dozen in this hobby. I personally know guys that want sponsorships just for the "status" and to get things cheaper then everyone else. last time I checked sponsorship is job to promote a product and not a freebie just because you can drive a toy car around the track fast....

Ok I'm done....

flame way!

I'll probably get flamed for this but here we go

I've seen a chassis sponsorship given out to racer that didn't know the first thing about customer relations and wasn't even a very good, or well rounded racer. All the sponsorship did for this racer was swell his ego and it ultimately alienated him from the group of racers he was racing with.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:10 PM
Tech Elite

As a side note, Carlton Eppes is a phenominal race director....

Unfortunately, he cannot be at all tracks at all times.

If track owners modeled off of him, they would I feel grow the hobby.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

For what it's worth-
What brought me to the track the first time was curiosity.

What brought me back the second time was a regular that of the dozens of racers there that day stopped what he was doing as I looked on at him working on his car and took the time to start a conversation and talk to me about the hobby and offer his help when I came back to race.

I think the guys I race with every week and the track owner / race director at my local track are the best their is. We race for fun and no other reason.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I agree that experienced racers as well as track directors/owners, should take it upon themselves to make the new guys more comfortable about approaching them and asking questions.

At my home track, RCHR in Waterburry, the store owner, will lend his own race vehicles to new guys, so they can try them out. Not only will they give you tips on how to do something, they'll actually show you how to do it.

In turn, all the racers will do the same for the new guys. I usually go around introducing myself to new people, and let them know if they need any help with anything, just to come over and ask.

When I started racing, they did the same for me, why not return the favor...
Old 07-15-2009, 07:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Racing

I have only been racing now for about 5 years. Been in the hobby since I was 12,always loved bashing with friends. But now, just turning 40 I can relate to what alot of you are saying about certian peoples views about racing. Me,myself do it just for the fun & the friendly spirit of competion. Ive been to a off road track before having problems with my truggy flaming out? Couldnt get this thing to run right for nothing. Track owner walked by seen what was happing & even asked him if he had any clues all he said " not really just make make sure you pay before you put your truck on the track". Just Blown away with his attitude packed up & left & havent been back since. 3 months later hobby shop was closed & all gone...gee I wonder why. But i took the truck to my lhs he tuned it checked it all out & told me I had bad gas...lol thats all it was. I understand the intimadation factor & I do try & help when i see someone struggling,cause i myself knows how frustrating this hobby can be at times.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:41 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Human
Are you saying that everyone should get a copy of this when they get their heat assignments?

I know that we don't know each other but from reading your posts on this matter I don't feel that you would be a racer that would be very approachable. I may be completely wrong but you said your there to race and that all. Really I thought that this was a hobby and a way to get away from reality for awhile. What is wrong with making a couple of new friends? In reality were all part of an RC Club?

I guess what I'm trying to say is what harm would it do to our hobby if we just took a little extra time and helped out a new racer. Here is a thought how about we take time to invite a co worker, another friend or family member to the track and hand our radio over to them and let them try it out.
I just feel that there is a lot more we can do to keep this hobby alive and growing.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:44 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JeromeK99
...Its sad that there are a lot of folks that take this hobby way to seriously! They are after all.. toy cars.. Its sad that some of the best drivers have taken on this "teamo" status.. true they only pit in their select groups.. far away from the rest of the crowd.. sadly, they dont seem to get that outside of the track gates, nobody knows or cares how well they drive or if they have some sort of sponsor...

We either do it.. or our hobby dies even more.. eventually there will be no were to race...

Jerome
+10 on this post I can't stand some of these guys. They act like they are in the Indy 500. I was in a Slash race once that mixed in some pro drivers, wannabe pro drivers and amateurs and it was awful. I was surrounded by the biggest jerks and loudmouths you can believe. I swore I would never be like those guys. These are same type of guys yelling at the young kids who are turn marshaling, etc. I understand hard core sponsored guys who have contracts and money on the line and tempers can flare. I get that. What I don't get are the wannabe's with the attitudes.

I like to race and I'm competitive, but I try to put in perspective. At one track that I go to pretty often, several kids and their dads have come up to me to ask questions. I make sure I go out of my way to be friendly to them. It is those people who are going to keep the hobby alive. These serious racer guys are too few and they get burned out after a while. If you let these guys scare away the newcomers, they are dooming your local track.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:38 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

to me at least I actually enjoy getting to know new people at the track who obviously have a similar interest. Considering actual track time during a race day is not really all that long giving the hours you could be sitting there, some ability to talk with your fellow drivers and just have a good time with things I feel is a big part of the hobby people can ignore sometimes.

To me, I almost feel I get more enjoyment being able to help out other drivers even if its somethig minor than I do concentrating hard not to finish last in the race

Guys who can't see that part of things and fly off the handle at other drivers or are just in general not pleasant to be around can kill the vibe of things going around, and make it such that some people may just say screw it and not come back.

With what hobbyshops have to compete with out there for entertainment dollars, that $15 bucks or so for 20 - 30 minutes of actual race track time needs to have the full day experience be as enjoyable as possible to keep you coming back for more, especially with how much it can cost to be in this hobby. A core group of guys in a clique will only get you so far.

At least thats my take on it anyway.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:19 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Just to through my two cents into this, I can see both sides of the coin. I have been average Joe racer, and I have been the race director. As an "average joe", it's nice to come hang out with your friends and have a good time racing around the track. Yes, I will admit that there are a few times I have gotten caught in the moment and telled at a turn marshal, or gotten frustrated and told the marshal to oull the car. But for the most part, it's nice to hang out and to also meet new people and try to answer any questions they might have. I feel the key to any success is to make sure that everyone is having a good time and the atmosphere is open and friendly.

As the race director, I always tried to answer anyone's and everyone's questions, but lets face it, sometimes time is tight. Espeacilly if youre trying to do a re-sort or set-up a race. Thank GOD there were always plenty of racers there willing to lend a hand or help me answer questions. So if I have missed anyone that knows me, Thank You.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that a great atmosphere that is friendly, informative, and inviting will always bring people back. And in my opinion it is up to everyone to make sure this happens. And by everyone I mean the owner, racedirector, and the racers.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:41 AM
Tech Regular

I'm a very competitive person. Coming from playing sports through HS and have been working with 1:1 dirt cars my WHOLE life (2months was my first race LOL). I'm competitive. BUT I'm competitive with myself. this sport (to me) is about beating yourself. making your lap times better. I finished 1st in my local sportsman A but i was actually more proud of the 3rd place finish in a heat because i was able to run faster (and didn't need to be marshaled). Yes i get mad yea i get aggravated, but as soon as i'm off that drivers stand the race is over. Drop it. I don't (or at least TRY not to) yell at marshals or other drivers. If i flip and need to be marshaled... it was MY fault not theirs! and for some reason I seem to be the guy at the track that all the newbies (or people just interested in whats going on) come to talk to. I go outa my way to make sure i answer all their questions. I guess it's cause my whole family and many of my friends come down to the track with me, but i think it is the fact that i have FUN. people seem to forget that. Yes we spend lots of money (sometimes too much) to race. Yes we are their to compete. Yes we (i'm included) are competitive. BUT we are there to have FUN. FUN!!! laugh. Joke. Make fun of yourself (and others LOL). but just have FUN. don't be mean. Don't swear at people. remember to LAUGH. this is a FAMILY hobby for FUN! just my .02
Old 07-16-2009, 10:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The race director at one of our local tracks walks around among the cars and sees who is there early in the day and later on too. Sort of a "hi - good morning" and a "hey - will we see you next week?" kind of thing. www.xrcraceway.com for reference.

If someone is new, he'll talk to them a while and see if they need help. Usually it's the family-oriented tracks that offer the best introduction to new racers. When you see kids hanging around without people yelling at them - you know it's a friendly place. (Unlike Walmart where in-aisle spankings are the norm)
Old 07-16-2009, 03:05 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Cain
to me at least I actually enjoy getting to know new people at the track who obviously have a similar interest. Considering actual track time during a race day is not really all that long giving the hours you could be sitting there, some ability to talk with your fellow drivers and just have a good time with things I feel is a big part of the hobby people can ignore sometimes.

To me, I almost feel I get more enjoyment being able to help out other drivers even if its somethig minor than I do concentrating hard not to finish last in the race

Guys who can't see that part of things and fly off the handle at other drivers or are just in general not pleasant to be around can kill the vibe of things going around, and make it such that some people may just say screw it and not come back.

With what hobbyshops have to compete with out there for entertainment dollars, that $15 bucks or so for 20 - 30 minutes of actual race track time needs to have the full day experience be as enjoyable as possible to keep you coming back for more, especially with how much it can cost to be in this hobby. A core group of guys in a clique will only get you so far.

At least thats my take on it anyway.
Nice post, very well put.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:04 PM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kdeselms
If anything, it would be nice if tracks would offer some sort of "newbie training course" for participating in club racing. This would give rookies and new racers a good understanding of how the races are conducted - heat sheets, transponders, frequency clips, the whole nine yards. Give them solid instructions on how to turn marshal. Just give them a CLUE so that when they show up to race, they know what they're in for. Once you alleviate the stress of not knowing what's going on your first day at the track, it becomes a lot easier to make friends.
Absolutely! also explaining the difference between things like Ifmar qualifying and heads up mains starts would make things far less confusing and stressfull for newbs to track style racing.