Wiki Posts
Search

What pinion to use?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 04:05 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default What pinion to use?

Hi, i am driving an Associated B4 with gear ratio of 2.6:1. Can any kind soul advise me what size pinion gear should i use for 48 pitch 87 spur with 10 turn brushed motor. I'll be even better if i can have the chart for motor+spur+pinion=?. Also, what is the ideal end ratio to achieve everytime? Between 10-11 or what? Any advise is greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The ratio changes based on motor used and conditions.

For a 10T brushed, you have to go small. For a while, I had a Checkpoint 10T motor on my son's B4. It was very quick but too much for him. I believe it was 18T pinion and 87 Spur. One thing I learned last year when we started racing - get pinions of all sizes. If that's not in the budget -then get 2 or 3 near the right ratio and experiment.

The AE manual for the B4 mentions 19T/81, but for track size and conditions, you have to experiment. If you are racing, it'll be based on that. If you are doing speed-runs or bashing, that'll be different. So somewhere between 17T and 20T for the 10T is my feeling. ALso, it may depend on the motor itself and what shape it's in. Clean-cut comm and new brushes with smooth bearings? Or dirty guts. More power from a clean motor.

10T for racing applications in the B4 is a little too much motor but can be fun for all other purposes.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:30 AM
Tech Apprentice

Its mainly for bashing. i've calculated using the Gear+Pinion calculator and it reflects 20 teeth. However, i'm like?
Old 07-15-2009, 09:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

20 seems a little big for anything but speed runs with 10T in a T4 we use a 14 or 15T pinion on the track. I can't even get the tires to stop spinning in my B4 with a 10T in it but would suggest 17 or 18 pinion with stock spur to start.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Stock spur is 81T and he's got the bigger 87T (good) - so try 18T to begin with and add 1T at a time if needed. Keep an eye on heat of the motor and ESC. Also, the slipper needs to be adjusted for your needs. You don't want to burn through your diff balls and washers.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:27 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RC Dad
20 seems a little big for anything but speed runs with 10T in a T4 we use a 14 or 15T pinion on the track. I can't even get the tires to stop spinning in my B4 with a 10T in it but would suggest 17 or 18 pinion with stock spur to start.
Don't forget that with brushed motors, the lower the pinion (or higher the spur) gives you more torque... so perhaps gearing it up will take away some of the squirrely punch!

Also with a brushed motor, you can tune by increasing or decreasing the timing! Usually with anything under 11t I would probably keep the timing at or under 5% to minimize heat and maximize run-time.

Jerome
Old 07-16-2009, 04:24 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thank you guys for som much input!!! Really appreciated it.
By the way, what is the good or Perfect gearing ratio? Between 9-10 or what? Really cannot understand this issue as i'm a vintage guy! Except that my TRF 501X which i got it running on stock setting of 17T pinion with 96T spur...