Wiki Posts
Search

i keep burning up motors!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 07:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Unhappy i keep burning up motors!!!

hey everybody, i've asked a lot of people around my area about me burning up motors on my rustler with no good results with it. its the older black plastic rustler with a novak super duty which runs 2 7.2 batteries. i've done burn up 2 motors with this set up. the first was a 550 size titan 12 turn the
2cnd was a 550 monster maxx pro 17 turn. i only got about 3 or 4 runs on each motor. on the first couple of runs, i always brought the truck in every once in a while for temp check. always good. novak claims i cant run a 540 motor on this esc, thats why im runing a 550. please help here.
thanks
Old 07-14-2009, 07:51 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)

Go brushless , don't go in the water! Have fun!
Old 07-14-2009, 07:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

the titan motor doesnt last long at all. kind of a waste of your time and money. maybe you are over or under geared because i have never heard of this 3-4 run and then dead motor thing. go brushless and you will never have another problem like this again.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:07 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Your problem is you are using a Esc that is designed for twin motor/twin battery applications....like a Emaxx or Clodbuster.You are putting 14.4volts thru one motor and they just can't take it
Old 07-14-2009, 08:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

i regeared the motors several times the first run to make sure it wasnt goin to over or under gear itself. this is the first electric truck ive done for performance, so i might be screwing something up.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

is there amy motor that can
Old 07-14-2009, 08:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

down with brushess and sub c cells!!!!!!!!!

down with am/fm!!!!!!

this is what everyone needs to do, even some rtr's are making the switch!!
Old 07-14-2009, 08:37 AM
Tech Adept

if it were me I'd change the ESC,since alot of guys are going brushless you can pickup a pretty good brushed esc dirt cheap.
I love how alot of people spout go brushless and yes it is the best way to go BUT if you are like me and can't afford to plunk down $150-$250 on a brushless system just swap the esc out and have fun
Old 07-14-2009, 09:23 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

It is the voltage. 14+ volts into one motor is a pretty tall task for these motors.

The titan 12T motor is bullet proof. We ran one for 5 straight hours in a slash enduro and when after the race they pulled our motor out and popped the can. The brushes weren't even seated!

We were only running 7.4 lipo through it. 4S or 12 cell would be a different story!
Old 07-14-2009, 09:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

everyone in this hobby can afford a brushless system. ive seen them for cheap.

plus, if you keep burning up motors, how much will you spend until you could have bought a brushless system.

if you cant afford the upgrade, then get out of the hobby, you dont deserve to be in it-----if you are an adult of course.

kids are the acception.

if a grown man doesnt have 100 bucks(ive seen plenty of used systems for this amount) to upgrade his hobby. then he should get a cheaper hobby(building stick figures out of balsa wood, collecting paper airplanes, etc...) or
give up any kind of entertainment.

we work to live, not live to work. so enjoy your lives. to enjoy a hobby, one must afford his hobby.

a pilot who flies for a hobby, can afford to do so. you cant call yourself a pilot if you cant even afford the gas for a plane.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:54 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by comedyman809

plus, if you keep burning up motors, how much will you spend until you could have bought a brushless system.

if you cant afford the upgrade, then get out of the hobby, you dont deserve to be in it-----if you are an adult of course.

kids are the acception.

if a grown man doesnt have 100 bucks(ive seen plenty of used systems for this amount) to upgrade his hobby. then he should get a cheaper hobby(building stick figures out of balsa wood, collecting paper airplanes, etc...) or

we work to live, not live to work. so enjoy your lives. to enjoy a hobby, one must afford his hobby.

a pilot who flies for a hobby, can afford to do so. you cant call yourself a pilot if you cant even afford the gas for a plane.
I am in fact a 41 year old adult and didn't think I needed anyones permission to enjoy the hobby.Maybe I should come over and pick a lil cash from your money tree
As it Happens I recently lost my job due to where I was working closing....so $220 a week unemployment doesn't allow too many $100 r/c purchases
Old 07-14-2009, 10:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

you're right about the money, i have about 115 in it now after the burnt up motors. i think im gonna throw a spare motor in it for now and run 1 battery with the loop for the second battery hook up. thanks all for helping a rookie out. i guess later i'll set this truck up for brushless or buy one already set up.
i just hope its as fast as this truck
Old 07-14-2009, 11:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

i do agree with sabor186, some people have mouths to feed and this economy isnt the greatest. i know my dad gave up his racing career to raise 4 kids. no body needs to ditch anyone who is grown up enuff to relieze they dont come first, maybe their family does
Old 07-14-2009, 11:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by comedyman809

kids are the acception.

Though a little harsh, I can agree, to a point, with your thoughts.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by school boy
hey everybody, i've asked a lot of people around my area about me burning up motors on my rustler with no good results with it. its the older black plastic rustler with a novak super duty which runs 2 7.2 batteries. i've done burn up 2 motors with this set up. the first was a 550 size titan 12 turn the
2cnd was a 550 monster maxx pro 17 turn. i only got about 3 or 4 runs on each motor. on the first couple of runs, i always brought the truck in every once in a while for temp check. always good. novak claims i cant run a 540 motor on this esc, thats why im runing a 550. please help here.
thanks
As the others said, your putting to much voltage through that motor, due to the esc that you are currently using.

If you are looking for brushless, you can get a new Novak havok system for under $150 shipped.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXWLW9&P=ML

Though the list is a little higher, by the time you deduct the coupon on the home page you will be about $135, which is the same price of a good brushed esc and good brushed motor.

You can get the same system used for under $100 so look in the for sale area of the forum.

As for the Titan motors, I would have to disagree with some of the other members who use them. They are very inexpensive, mass produced, stock motors that come in RTR kits. You can replace them new for $20 and get un used, new ones for about half, from people who bought RTR's and changed to Brushless.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.