Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Questions on the HPI Cyber 10B - gearing/rear dog bones/shocks? >

Questions on the HPI Cyber 10B - gearing/rear dog bones/shocks?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Questions on the HPI Cyber 10B - gearing/rear dog bones/shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 08:03 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Questions on the HPI Cyber 10B - gearing/rear dog bones/shocks?

I received my HPI Cyber 10B last week and have the chassis fully assembled. I didn't have any problems or concerns that were very critical. The build went pretty smooth, but I do have some questions now that I am getting closer to having a runner on my hands.

1) The rear dog bones seem to bind a little when the suspension is at full droop. They also are at the limits of popping out. In fact, spinning the drivetrain by hand, one of them did pop out of the stub shaft axle and that in turn bound up that side. I can't see this being a good thing at all. I was considering adding another O-ring to the diff output cup to reduce the slack and movement of the dog bone, but there has to be a better way. Are there any rear CVDs that would take care of this issue? Anyone else having this problem? Naturally, the Hot Bodies D4 parts are compatable. Does this mean I need to pick up some CVDs? Is there a part number that works?

2) Installing my Tekin 448 brushless motor, what pinion would be a good place to start? I wanted to run a 17 tooth pinion, as the 448 has a 4,800 Kv rating, and the manual suggests a 17 tooth pinion for the Flux 5,700 Kv motor, but I can't get enough adjustment with the motor mount to set the mesh properly, even with an 18 tooth pinion. It's a little loose for my liking. It boggles my mind how they can fit a 17 tooth pinion with the stock 87 tooth spur gear.

What gearing have you guys been able to achieve? I guess I'll have to look at a larger spur gear, if I want to gear a bit lower? These should work, right?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXN204&P=7

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXN205&P=7

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXN206&P=ML

3) I'm looking for some nicer aluminum threaded shocks. I'm not to impressed with the stockers. I hate the plastic balls and plastic rod ends. I see the optional shocks use the same rod ends and balls. What kind of shocks is everyone else running? I ended up swapping the stock shaft rod ends for some Traxxas rod ends with metal balls, and they work much better, but the stock shock cap still requires the cheesey plastic balls.

Thanks.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have a Cyber that I bought used that had B44 shocks on it them seem to fit the car nicely and work well. I would suggest getting CVDs for the rear end. I think it was kinda an omision by HPI putting dog bones in the rear of that buggy. The Hot Bodies CVDs from the D4 are a direct fit.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Ahh, good! A reply. I was worried no one would be able to offer any help. Good to hear about the shocks and CVDs. I noticed a few other buggies that do not run CVDs in the rear either. Probably a costs savings. While I wait for Tower to start stocking the D4 and Cyber 10B parts, is there any place that I can readily pick up the D4 CVDs? Hot Bodies direct, or some other good source?

Thanks!