*****YOKOMO BMAX 4*****

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 04:56 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by teeforb
doesn't the rb6 use a cap style shock?

how are the stock pistons?
the stock pistons are very nice. it comes with a pair of 1.6 and 1.7 machine pistons. they fit on the shaft snug and dont flop around. 2 thumbs up on the pistons
Old 04-21-2015, 04:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MarkA
The body is thin because as a carpet/turf car, it's a very easy way to lower the CoG. In fact, I found the car to immediately get tipsy on the other bodies available for it. I'm not going to say it's a special material as I can't verify that but in 25+ race days since I built the car last fall, it has a small crack behind the front body post and that's it. The part# for the thicker Yoke body is B4-101H and it's been out for a while but I don't think a-main is even going to import it. One of the "hot" things to do with the YZ-2 is buy the thinner body like what this comes with.
The Yokomo body is actually made of a Japanese source polycarbonate (not all poly is the same) and IMO is increadably tough for only being .010" thick. You will find a JCon or ProLine body to be 2.5-3 times thicker ( and 2.5-3 times heavier).

At my local track it's Friday night carpet as our closest dirt track is 2 hours away in the winter, and since it's Friday they open at 5 racing starts at 6:30. Basically everyone practices at once, everything from Spec Slash to 4wd SCT to 2wd 17.5 and 4wd Buggy, and my cars have taken a beating.

My stock BMax4 body has been pounded so hard you can see the motor mount shape depressed in it from the inside out, and it's still not cracked.

I'll admit it's not as tough as the HD thickness one, however it's a representation of what this car is. It has EVERYTHING in the box to compete.

If this was a 22-4 or 44.3 you have to spend hundreds of dollars more to fix their issues.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:03 PM
Tech Prophet

haha, the 22-4 and b44.3 were never even given consideration. We dont have a hack fest in practice. we just have pipes and pipe nails. Trust me, I cant wait for saturday to get on the track. the car is a sexy machine.

why does no one seem to run the center gear covers? heat? seems like protecting the electronics would be great. I loved that featured when I was eyeing the car.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:14 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
The rear toe/anti squat I get, it is the front caster adjustments that made my brain hurt. I will check petit for a better explanation.
This setting is not for caster, it changes kick-up (angle of the arm movement in relationship to square), front width, and front roll center.

To change castor you change the c-hubs.

Kick-up is the same as the angle that is bent on the chassis, if you lean the front bulkhead back, it's more kickup and tends to jump and land a little easier, but sacrifices steering and reaponsivness. Lean it forward and it will handle more like a sedan, more responsive but it will be much more sensitive to jumping and rough sections.

If you want, you can run the inner hinge pins farther in to narrow the front end OR run 2wd front wheels and be the same width as stock with the hinge pins out and 4wd wheels. 3 different front width setups, all with pluses and minuses.

The good and bad of this car is that it has SO much adjustability that you can get yourself lost real quick. But once dialed in, this car is very, very good. Low grip or high grip.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:19 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by FLHX1550
This setting is not for caster, it changes kick-up (angle of the arm movement in relationship to square), front width, and front roll center.

To change castor you change the c-hubs.

Kick-up is the same as the angle that is bent on the chassis, if you lean the front bulkhead back, it's more kickup and tends to jump and land a little easier, but sacrifices steering and reaponsivness. Lean it forward and it will handle more like a sedan, more responsive but it will be much more sensitive to jumping and rough sections.

If you want, you can run the inner hinge pins farther in to narrow the front end OR run 2wd front wheels and be the same width as stock with the hinge pins out and 4wd wheels. 3 different front width setups, all with pluses and minuses.

The good and bad of this car is that it has SO much adjustability that you can get yourself lost real quick. But once dialed in, this car is very, very good. Low grip or high grip.
interesting on using the +1 and 2wd wheels.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:37 PM
Tech Master

interesting on using the +1 and 2wd wheels.
To clarify, you run the narrow setup on the inner hinge pins with 2wd fronts and it's just a tad wider than the wide front end with stock 4wd wheels

I believe this is what Lee runs on allot of the EOS tracks (on trimmed 2wd front rims)
Old 04-22-2015, 01:08 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I do wish amain would stock a few more things for the car. I hope the car is selling well enough in the US to justify them carrying the line. I was surprised that they dont carry the front sway bar.
keep googling

I think I got my front set from futaba pro shop, even banzai hobby is out of stock of Yokomo parts. It's like that site doesn't bother anymore.

Not all run the gear cover removed... Though it's easy to think. many probably run carpet, Astro
Old 04-22-2015, 07:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by teeforb
doesn't the rb6 use a cap style shock?
They still run a bottom load-bleed design.

Originally Posted by Djchow85
Not all run the gear cover removed... Though it's easy to think. many probably run carpet, Astro
It's another carpet-CoG thing. You just don't need that thing sitting up high.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:15 PM
Tech Addict

I actually have my capacitor sitting on the spur cover for outdoor... Then again I don't race competitively
Old 04-22-2015, 06:19 PM
Tech Adept

I decided to get one, just finished the build. No missing parts, everything went together great, awesome quality on the parts. Instructions need to be upgraded, it is nice that they include all parts old and new, but it can get a bit confusing figuring out what was from the original kit vs what is the upgrade. That being said, for me it was not a big deal, just looked at the diagram or pics from finished cars and figured it out easily enough. Only have to install electronics and will be ready to roll.

Question, car seems to have quite a bit of bump steer on the bench, is this normal on this car?,, or should I add a shim or two somewhere on the steering?.. thanks.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:29 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by indybobb
I decided to get one, just finished the build. No missing parts, everything went together great, awesome quality on the parts. Instructions need to be upgraded, it is nice that they include all parts old and new, but it can get a bit confusing figuring out what was from the original kit vs what is the upgrade. That being said, for me it was not a big deal, just looked at the diagram or pics from finished cars and figured it out easily enough. Only have to install electronics and will be ready to roll.

Question, car seems to have quite a bit of bump steer on the bench, is this normal on this car?,, or should I add a shim or two somewhere on the steering?.. thanks.
I run no shims on the rack and 2mm of shim on the steering arms. This has just a tiny amount of bump-in, which keeps the car from being twitchy on landings. However the amount of shim and where you run your ride height will determine where you run it. My setup is for about middle of the road ride height. If you ran higher, you would add shim to the rack. If you ran lower, you would want to run less of the arms.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:06 PM
Tech Prophet

first outing... cracked front tower, 2 broken arms, 2 bent hinge pins, 1 bent ballstud and 3 ball cups popped off. that is more broken 4wd parts than I have had in a year, lol. on the upside the car handles great. very nimble corners awesome. could use a bit more rear bite. I ordered some yz4 rear arms to try out with the +6mm rear hexes and yz2 bones. I was really struggling with one jump section, and the car was taking a beating. so i plan to shrug this off and run a better track next weekend. the car is more durable than a b44 and 22-4, but seems less so than an xray, teamc or d414
Old 04-26-2015, 02:09 AM
Tech Addict

Never have I heard anyone break so much on their first go haha. I came off a jump and landed onto incoming traffic into an associated truggy, they broke an arm but I came off fine. Felt bad for the guy
Old 04-26-2015, 06:44 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

That's an awful lot to break. Are you possibly over motored? Did the car flip end over end during a crash?
Old 04-26-2015, 07:58 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by STLNLST
That's an awful lot to break. Are you possibly over motored? Did the car flip end over end during a crash?
nah, 10.5 25/84 gearing. the 22-4 jumped the pipe and it was a high speed head on crash. unavoidable. that crash broke the tower, arm and a hinge pin. the last arms broke going over an off camber double where I clipped the pipe. they way it broke, makes me thing the plastics are soft. the pin was pulled through the plastic, but no plastic broke off. the car drives great. i just need to dodge 22-4s better. also, the ball studs seem like crap. I replace the ones in the rear hubs with AE studs and cups. I was definitely faster in the tight corners than the other wheelers. the car turns on a dime.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.