Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
picco 28, junk??? >

picco 28, junk???

picco 28, junk???

Old 06-23-2009, 03:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (98%+)
Default picco 28, junk???

I have a picco 28, non pull start. The engine doesn't hold a tune for nothing. No matter how i tune it, it doesn't stay that way. Motor has great power and smokes great, but dies when it comes in for fuel. I'll set the idle screw for a very high idle to keep it running, but still dies after afew runs. Anyone know about these motors???????????????? Are they junk? Also, 20% and a P3 plug.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

yup, they are junk but this is the electric forum so what do I know about nitro motors.
You might get a better answer in the nitro forum.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 106 (100%+)

no problems with mine using 30% and dynamite plugs.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

i was thinking about getting one when i was going to go nitro and the reason i didnt go with it because the motor
Old 06-23-2009, 06:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

They arent bad mills BUT with them you have to tear them down as soon as you get them and seal them up ESPECIALLY the carb boot and all. And they will perform. But you for the same price could get a GO TECH .25 6 port race and will out power the picco and have way more runtime than it. Its the best of both worlds.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Make sure you using a correct exhaust gasket, mine was a bit off and not tight enough, so I had the problems you are experiencing. Once I got the right gasket (looks like a piece of hose) it started running right.

I did seal mine as told but when I spoke to Picco a few times (I actually sent my motor/exhaust to them and they were the ones who told me about the gasket) they said sealing it is not necessary, but I have read about the sealing issues...

Good luck. I like mine actually, not a bad motor IMO
Old 06-23-2009, 09:07 PM
Tech Rookie

I have a pullstart version, modded by rb mods, and i absolutely can not get any bottom end out of it at all. Been tuning for a gallon and a half, feel like i'm wasting fuel on it.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by johnnypoopoopan View Post
I have a pullstart version, modded by rb mods, and i absolutely can not get any bottom end out of it at all. Been tuning for a gallon and a half, feel like i'm wasting fuel on it.
have you spoken with RB mods? what pipe are you using? gearing? clutch problem maybe?

the picco is known for its gutsy bottom end torque, so something must be wrong

look up some Picco .28 videos on youtube, its a beast, don't give up on it
Old 06-23-2009, 11:14 PM
Tech Rookie

Yeah, i emailed rick brake, I'm running a brand new set of dynamite max life shoes with mugen 1.0 springs, should be a wheelie machine with this setup (SAVAGE X) 17/47 gearing, the stock f4.6 mill had no problem pulling the front end up. I have the dynamite 086 pipe on it, supposed to be a great pipe for this mill. My f4.6 ran better down low than this mill. Rick said to get a new front bearing, i really don't think this is the problem, front bearing doesn't leak, the engine is only 3/4 gallon past breakin, i Have ran a total of 1 and 3/4 gallon through it. He also told me to go back to the hot plug with 30% fuel, tried that and did not help. I can't figure it out, it is supposed to be a monster, but the only good i'm seeing out of it is high rpm. Its on a monster truck, so i was lookin for the low end too, no such luck.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

086 is the right pipe for it, hmm that's strange. Are you using the hose-type gasket? maybe your low end is very rich?

call the guys at ofna/picco, they are VERY VERY helpfull. Like I said, I was having issues with mine (gasket) and I ended up sending mine in. Just be nice with them, tell them you've tried everything and you really want to just get it running right, and see what they say.

I read many good things about this mill which is why I picked it up. I'm still maybe at 1/2 gallon mark so its not even broken in yet, but I have hopes for it.

And yours is modded, so it should definitely scream.

Maybe talk to some racers at the local track? usually there's guys who will help out, might be an option
Old 06-23-2009, 11:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

tear down and then seal it up! make sure the o-rings int he carb arent nicked..
Old 06-24-2009, 12:15 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks guys, it has been inspected, reinspected and sealed. I guess i might have to call picco, or ofna. I don't really have a local track, the nearest is 80 miles away, i just backyard bash alone usually. Thanks for the tips though. oh yeah, forgot to add that i also already replaced the exhaust gasket with one that fits tight, the one that came with it was too small for my header, it is sealed good at the header.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

How does your low speed needle look? is it flush? sticking out a bit? or in? do you have a video of it running?
Old 06-24-2009, 12:44 AM
Tech Rookie

If you are talking to me, actually no i don't have any vids of it running, could get some up tomorrow though. The lowspeed is about flush, in just a tad, not a full turn or anything. I have gotten the hi speed where it runs pretty good and then messed with the low, i've had it backed out pretty far past flush and gone in from there to try and get the bottom end to come to, but had no luck. I barely turned that booger too, like 1/8 turn or less at a time. I really don't know what stock settings are for this mill though.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

lol for a nitro post in a electric section this sure is getting alot of attention

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.