Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
help with lipo wiring >

help with lipo wiring

help with lipo wiring

Old 06-23-2009, 10:54 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default help with lipo wiring

can someone point me in the right direction as to where I can find info on how to wire (2) 2s lipos together to make a 4s for my rc8te? I think I know how, I just want to make sure. Also, what are the best conenctors to use and what is the little white plug coming off of he lipo battery? Thanks for the help.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:29 AM
Tech Rookie

if you still dont know what the white plug is for you are far away from being skilled enough using lipo technology.

it may be too dangerous, use the web to inform yourself.

sry but just my 2c
Old 06-23-2009, 11:48 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by notre-dame View Post
if you still dont know what the white plug is for you are far away from being skilled enough using lipo technology.

it may be too dangerous, use the web to inform yourself.

sry but just my 2c
Did you fall off of a turnip truck? I am just wondering if you were born with the knowledge you have or if you learned it by people giving you direction as to where to get the information? you were once where i am now. Keep the 2c to yourself. I simply asked for direction, and it looks like you could not give any, so why post here? You tell me to use the web to inform myself. Is that not where I am? It is people like you that push people away from sites like this and the hobby.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:07 PM
Tech Champion

Hook the batteries up in series, esc - to 1st battery -, then that batt + to the 2nd batt -, then the 2nd batt + to esc +.

The trick is the small white connectors. These are for balancing the cells. It is very important that no individual lipo cell be over charged, that’s when the fires happen. Balancing becomes more important as the cell counts go up. Must have a lipo capable charger, ideally with a built in balancer or a separate one.

One option is to charge each battery separately. If you want to charge them together I would recommend wiring up a combination balancing harness. Sadly there are several types of balancing connectors and wiring deals, so we need to know what kind of battery and/or connector to help with that.

Last edited by Dave H; 06-23-2009 at 12:23 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hang on guys. He's not berating you, he's speaking his mind. However, he also doesn't realize how quickly the human being can learn...

So, for wiring the 2 2SP1 together - you need a Y-adapter wired for series.

Here's a picture - real clear too.

http://www.atomichobbies.com/GPMM314...es_p_1355.html

You can buy theirs or build one. The male side goes into the two separate batteries the female side to the ESC.

Next - the white plug. That is a balance port. You NEEEEEEEED a lipo charger and a balancer to use LiPos. You charge them separately to capacity and then run them together with the Y-Adapter. You should research LiPO charging

Google is your friend here. Search "LiPo Charging" and similar.

http://www.bulldawgrc.com/lipocarepage.html

And know that LiPO treated badly (charged wrong, ignored when at capacity and continued charging) can lead to FIRE. This is the dangerous part of LiPO. But if you make sure you are doing it right, you are good.

Just make sure your house insurance is paid up :-) (I worry a bit about LiPOs too - and am researching A123 batteries as an alternative)
Old 06-23-2009, 12:15 PM
Tech Rookie

the white plug is for the balancer. it is the most important thing for charging.

you need this: worlwideweb.der-schweighofer.at/artikel/69159/sensor_adapterkabel_2x3s_ehr-akkus_auf_6s_ehr-lader_balancer

(just replace worldwideweb to www)

its a german site but the wiring is correct.

never ever charge a lipo without using a balancer.

for discharging just connect the black (-) from one with the red (+) from the other.

be carefull, the cells should be balanced before connected.

hope this will help you more.

bye
cosmo
Old 06-23-2009, 12:31 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the help guys. I have the concept of a single lipo and using a balancer and lipo charger, I just didnt understand how to wire 2 of them together. I appreciate all the help. Sorry notre-dame for coming off the way I did.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:22 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I run a pair of 2S or 3S lipos in a Flux, FLM Emaxx or a G2R and have been doing it more than a year. If you charge and balance each lipo, they work fine together, I've not had any probs in many, many runs with mine. Use the y-connector as advised and unless you're good at soldering and have the right material (deans and some hvy silicone wire) just buy one.

I have done this both ways - I have two Hyperion 0610i balancing chargers and have network charged a pr of lipos to see if there is any noticeable diff. Network charging like this balances all 4 cells together. I didn't see any noticeable diff. The important thing is to start with both packs charged and balanced.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Brian's calc usually helps a lot. http://www.scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/_lipo.html
Old 06-24-2009, 08:43 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by gulio View Post
Brian's calc usually helps a lot. http://www.scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/_lipo.html
yes yes!

ive been looking for this site since yesterday.

wanted to post it, too
in particular the balancer wiring is much helpful.

thanks for sharing