Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Need B4 rear tire recommendations please >

Need B4 rear tire recommendations please

Need B4 rear tire recommendations please

Old 06-22-2009, 09:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)
Default Need B4 rear tire recommendations please

I found this new track that I plan on racing it more frequently, but the last race there with my B4 was a disaster. I don't have many tire options in my arsenal at the moment, but the one's I tried on this track might as well have been slicks My B4 is being run in the mod class, so I have a 6.5 brushless motor with a 2C Lipo.

This track is located in a warehouse, so they use real dirt (not clay) on top of cement. They water the track between rounds, but because the dirt sits on top of the cement it doesn't hold the moisture for long. The dirt is loose, but not loamy. For the most part the track is smooth; no studder bump sections. There are no real big gnarly jumps, just a few well placed timing jumps that are relatively small. The last turn is a wide arc that transitions well into the straight away which creates a fairly long section of high speed. I'd consider it low/medium traction when dry, and medium/high traction when wet. I really only had some worn down hole shots and taper pins, and I mean they were really worn down. I tried them when the track was dry, but didn't get a chance to try them when it was wet. When the track was dry the hole shots and taper pins made the rear end loose. I also tried goosebumps which were decent when the track was really dry and the dust started to accumulate. I used 4 groove directionals in the front.

I plan on picking up up two sets of new rear tires for the B4, and given the above track description I was hoping for some recommendations.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:31 AM
Suspended

Thumbs up AE Is Killer Of All......

Originally Posted by Wease View Post
I found this new track that I plan on racing it more frequently, but the last race there with my B4 was a disaster. I don't have many tire options in my arsenal at the moment, but the one's I tried on this track might as well have been slicks My B4 is being run in the mod class, so I have a 6.5 brushless motor with a 2C Lipo.

This track is located in a warehouse, so they use real dirt (not clay) on top of cement. They water the track between rounds, but because the dirt sits on top of the cement it doesn't hold the moisture for long. The dirt is loose, but not loamy. For the most part the track is smooth; no studder bump sections. There are no real big gnarly jumps, just a few well placed timing jumps that are relatively small. The last turn is a wide arc that transitions well into the straight away which creates a fairly long section of high speed. I'd consider it low/medium traction when dry, and medium/high traction when wet. I really only had some worn down hole shots and taper pins, and I mean they were really worn down. I tried them when the track was dry, but didn't get a chance to try them when it was wet. When the track was dry the hole shots and taper pins made the rear end loose. I also tried goosebumps which were decent when the track was really dry and the dust started to accumulate. I used 4 groove directionals in the front.

I plan on picking up up two sets of new rear tires for the B4, and given the above track description I was hoping for some recommendations.

Where is the Track Located "California" sounds like my home track,anyways when the track is slighty wet.dusty Blue Bar Codes By JConcepts..When track is swept and watered Try pink taper pins..Or Silver Tapers on Rear Spray with Motor Spray.....
Old 06-22-2009, 09:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The 6.5 may be overpowering things. You probably will be ok with something like Holeshots or Bow Ties - but the motor and gearing should be talked about first. What's the track size of the longest straight and your gearing?

You may want to try an 8.5 or 10.5 motor if it's not a big track. Or gear the 6.5 really low (using the 87 spur not 81 stock) and try that.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Originally Posted by losidriver70 View Post
Where is the Track Located "California" sounds like my home track,anyways when the track is slighty wet.dusty Blue Bar Codes By JConcepts..When track is swept and watered Try pink taper pins..Or Silver Tapers on Rear Spray with Motor Spray.....
LOL, actually the opposite side of the country; Pennsylvania. Yeah, I think I need to get a new set of pink taper pins. I don't know how my current set is so worn, but it looks like they were run on pavement . I appreciate the info on the blue bar codes; I've heard others mention them as well.

The 6.5 may be overpowering things. You probably will be ok with something like Holeshots or Bow Ties - but the motor and gearing should be talked about first. What's the track size of the longest straight and your gearing?

You may want to try an 8.5 or 10.5 motor if it's not a big track. Or gear the 6.5 really low (using the 87 spur not 81 stock) and try that.
I'm terrible at estimating distances, but I'd say the last turn with the straight away is about 25 or maybe 30 yards. I'm currently running the stock 81 spur with a 20t pinion. When you say gear it low, you mean a bigger pinion to smooth out the bottom end?
Old 06-22-2009, 10:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Gear it low - the other way. Say 17 or 16T pinion to start. Low will let you not put as much tire-spin into the wheels and maybe have a little more touch coming out of turns (also lower your radio's Throttle exponential too if you have it). Higher gearing is bigger pinions. Also, check your Slipper setup. Could be it's too tight leading to wheel spin especially with a hot motor like a 6.5