Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
academy gv2 pro or kyosho ultima rb5 sp? >

academy gv2 pro or kyosho ultima rb5 sp?

academy gv2 pro or kyosho ultima rb5 sp?

Old 06-21-2009, 05:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 2wdMod View Post
so if you have never driven an MRC which part of my statement is false??is it a lie that the mid arm conversion helped on choppy tracks and was pretty much a necessity?Nope.Is it a lie that the rear chassis plates are a little on the fragile side and when they break they like to take the ears off the tranny housings?Nope.

They guy asked for opinions on both cars , which I have since I have owned and raced both, so I gave him mine.

I didnt give him opinions of some guys I race with that happen to run one of the cars in question. What i stated was my opinion, and experience with both cars, That's all. Jeez lay off man.
Easy, I see the SAME guys on the SAME tracks with different cars run with all of use with the "necessary" parts. The only rear plate I broke is when I caught between a pip which sucked it down and basically sheared rear end off. The only thing I had to replace was a pivot, and 2 white shims.

Now if you want to talk about fragile, how about watching my buddy DOWNSIDE a jump and having the front end fly off.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by K_King View Post
I have never driven an MRC, but 2 of my friends used to run for them. Needless to say they had issues finishing races due to breakage, and they are better than that. Other than them, I havent seen anyone run an MRC car out here.
I've put several races days on my GV2 and GV2T...no broken parts here.

Originally Posted by RB FIVE View Post
Seriously though your entirely wrong. That academy is soo crappy they could offer me 100% sponsorship and i wouldn't run that car. I think sponsorship is the only way they could get rid of those things.

Junk.
Wow. That was uncalled for, but whatever. Just because they don't advertise like some of the big name co. or have big name drivers doesn't mean their car is crap. If Tebo and Cav ran with one and won. They would fly off the shelf.

I went from a RB5 to GV2 and havn't slowed down. I've also replaced alot less parts. Both cars are good. Academy parts are less expensive. If you wanna try something different the Academy will not let you down. Some peeps are too sheepish to try something different.

I've broken a t-plate on my RB5 too. Had to buy a whole plastics set just for that piece if I remember correctly.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:30 PM
Dob
Tech Addict

Never drove a B5 and really would not be offended by what car he gets, but a car breaking downsiding a jump? Thats almost comical to believe. Chances are that the damage was previously incurred, and the landing just sheered it off. Like all flame wars this will go nowhere and the OP probably hasnt looked at this thread since it was posted.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

u cant ask cuz u will get split answers...just try them out urself..they are both GREAT cars and u will not be dissapointed..the rb5 is more well known and ive driven both and to me the rb5 was more of my style but to other people the gv2 is more of their style
Old 06-21-2009, 05:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kwiksi View Post

Wow. That was uncalled for, but whatever. Just because they don't advertise like some of the big name co. or have big name drivers doesn't mean their car is crap. If Tebo and Cav ran with one and won. They would fly off the shelf.

I went from a RB5 to GV2 and havn't slowed down. I've also replaced alot less parts. Both cars are good. Academy parts are less expensive. If you wanna try something different the Academy will not let you down. Some peeps are too sheepish to try something different.

I've broken a t-plate on my RB5 too. Had to buy a whole plastics set just for that piece if I remember correctly.
Yeah you had to buy a whole plastic set that MSRPs for 7.99 and can be had for a little more than 6 bucks. It also includes pivots, and a rear bulkhead and tranny cases.

I tried to see what it would cost an Academy car, but I can't really find any place online that stocks there parts. There was one place that has them for 8 bucks though, so actually not worth a comparison.

Where can you get parts for the car? I can understand that you may be/are a sponsored driver for them, but as hard as it is to get Kyosho parts locally, I can get them on various sites. Kind of curious to know where MRC guys get theirs when not getting them directly from MRC themselves.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kwiksi View Post

I have run a B4, CR and a RB5. I try different cars.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:44 PM
Dob
Tech Addict

A-main and Stormer, or just MRC's website. May be others but yes parts support is a downside. Local in stock parts support is bad for both Kyosho and Academy. My LHS has a account with Mrc so they can get anything in less then a week. Don't see many Academys around here and ever fewer Kyoshos.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just so you guy's know I have not seen an MRC car break yet durring the races that I have been to where that car is. And from what I seen they are just as fast on the track as the other cars. I like the Kyosho car the best so far, but I have never drove a MRC car yet so I can't really say what it is like.

And yes I have also seen kwiksi drive durring the morl series (series that is mainly in MI), and like he said his car holds up really well as well as the other guy's who use them. Really I have to say it looks good on the track, although I would like to drive one just so I can see what it is like

For me I like the Kyosho because it can be changed to work just the way you want it to work.

Also kwiksi from talking with Apl Hed he was saying that a lot of the guy's were liking the standard car more then the worlds/sp rear end.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RB FIVE View Post
Seriously though your entirely wrong. That academy is soo crappy they could offer me 100% sponsorship and i wouldn't run that car. I think sponsorship is the only way they could get rid of those things.

Junk.
Come on, tell us how you really feel.

No offense, but I wouldn't even compare the two cars. It seems like a marginal car with an ugly body thats tough to get parts for and you are on your own for setups at many tracks. Who wouldn't go for a combo like that? Sign me up.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:18 AM
Tech Elite

oOPS. Double post.

Last edited by kwiksi; 06-22-2009 at 03:04 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:20 AM
Tech Elite

^^

Last edited by kwiksi; 06-22-2009 at 03:04 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:27 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by K_King View Post
Yeah you had to buy a whole plastic set that MSRPs for 7.99 and can be had for a little more than 6 bucks. It also includes pivots, and a rear bulkhead and tranny cases.

I tried to see what it would cost an Academy car, but I can't really find any place online that stocks there parts. There was one place that has them for 8 bucks though, so actually not worth a comparison.

Where can you get parts for the car? I can understand that you may be/are a sponsored driver for them, but as hard as it is to get Kyosho parts locally, I can get them on various sites. Kind of curious to know where MRC guys get theirs when not getting them directly from MRC themselves.
I have two lhs that have accounts. Stormerhobbies and Amain online also. However I deal with MRC direct.
I went from a CR>B4>RB5>GV2 with no regrets.
BTW If I remember correctly the RB5 comes with a Carbon rear tplate which lists for $9.99. I remember purchasing the plastic t plate and noticing the diff material.

carbon madness look me up at the next race I'll let you take the buggy for a few laps.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

you guys are talking like the rb5 has issues breaking t plates. i have ran the car for almost 2 yrs now and have only broken the t plate once, due to a bad landing off of a large jump. kyosho has THE strongest car out now. we have one academy at our track and it constantly breaks. my friend that drives the academy was always good with his losi and just seems to struggle with the gv2. both are a pain to get parts for, but ordering online aint that bad. the rb5 sp kit has all you need, no changing anything.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

kwiksi, I will have to find ya now. Will you be there on Firday, or just Saturday?
Old 06-22-2009, 06:32 PM
Tech Regular

alot of it has to do with the driver to beacuse i no i went from a B4 to a Rb5 and there was a little different but i feel my Rb5 is easyer to drive and as fast or fast. my buddy went from a BK1 and now drives a Gv2 and is about the same as me i really dont think its the car thats gonna make you faster its you who makes you fast look at tebo he ran AE for awhile then went to Kyosho and he does about the same or better its not the cars it the driver

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.